Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m about to collect my 66-plate Passat GTE Advance Estate. It comes with 18-inch rims which generate a fair bit of roar and no doubt also hurt the mpg. I’m not too fussed about looks and would rather fit some rims that are quieter, lighter and more aerodynamic to maximise electric range. Can anyone suggest any (including after-market) rims (17inch?) that might be a good fit? I’ll probably sell the 18s on to recoup the cost. Cheers.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,386 Posts
Check out the standard e-Golf rims. I think they are 16", but according to Golf GTE owners bring the noise down and efficiency/comfort up. There are at least 2 different threads on the Golf GTE part of the forum.

I'm not sure they are suitable for the Passat (weight wise, etc.).

Reactions: Jymhall

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Take care that you fit an homologated wheel / tyre size. The Passat GTE currently has 215/60R16 homologated for winter / poverty use, so as long as you fit the correct size wheels (6.5Jx16, ET42, 5x112 holess and PCD, M14 x 1.5 bolts and 57.1 PCD) then all will be well. Note that this was from 2019 onwards - "your" 66 plate isn't strictly supposed to go below 17" wheels in either 215/55ZR17 on 7Jx17 ET40 or 6.5Jx17 ET41 but I'd be perfectly happy running the 16" one personally.
Beware that there is no guarantee that all VAG 16" wheels to the above spec will clear the brake calipers - it depends on the design. Test fit one first before purchasing to avoid an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Hi, I’m about to collect my 66-plate Passat GTE Advance Estate. It comes with 18-inch rims which generate a fair bit of roar and no doubt also hurt the mpg. I’m not too fussed about looks and would rather fit some rims that are quieter, lighter and more aerodynamic to maximise electric range. Can anyone suggest any (including after-market) rims (17inch?) that might be a good fit? I’ll probably sell the 18s on to recoup the cost. Cheers.
The 18” wheel and tyre combo is fine IF you get the tyre choice right.
The OEM Bridgestone’s that VW like to fit are a bad choice of tyre and is well documented on this site.
On a personal basis, I think a 17” combo is a great choice.
A great compromise between looks, grip and ride quality.
The 18” combo looks the best on the car with out an question, but if you are hell bent on changing the wheels, go for quality 17” tyres with a lowest Db ( around the 67 - 69 ) rating set of tyres that will suit your driving style would be my advice.
Oh .... Don’t forget to notify your insurance because you are deviating away from original spec of the car.
But I guess you know this already - sorry !.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 18” wheel and tyre combo is fine IF you get the tyre choice right.
The OEM Bridgestone’s that VW like to fit are a bad choice of tyre and is well documented on this site.
On a personal basis, I think a 17” combo is a great choice.
A great compromise between looks, grip and ride quality.
The 18” combo looks the best on the car with out an question, but if you are hell bent on changing the wheels, go for quality 17” tyres with a lowest Db ( around the 67 - 69 ) rating set of tyres that will suit your driving style would be my advice.
Oh .... Don’t forget to notify your insurance because you are deviating away from original spec of the car.
But I guess you know this already - sorry !.
Yeah TBH I would be happy swapping the 18s for the standard VW “non-Advance-spec” 17s with some nice quiet tyres. Anyone know the name of these (“Oxford”, possibly)? Will see if eBay/Gumtree has any available...

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
You only have to do this if you want to claim for a higher value of wheels/tyres than original or a non-homologated size. Changing from one homologated VW option to another doesn't require this.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
You only have to do this if you want to claim for a higher value of wheels/tyres than original or a non-homologated size. Changing from one homologated VW option to another doesn't require this.
This maybe true, but in the opening question, he also ask's for suggested "After Market" wheels as well ?.
These therefore do not reflect OEM equipment if he follows down this path.
A little late to find out your insurance claim has been rejected because you have not declared a modification that is not been declared on your policy as an additional amendment / endorsement.
You know what insurance companies are like, they are looking for ANY reason not to pay out on a technicality.
e.g. - How many folks have after market window tint's done on their cars, then innocently forget to inform their insurance company ?.
Loads is the answer, fine until you make a claim and then you could be in trouble.
If the claim was for a small low coast "Fender Bender" then you could be okay, if on the other hand you are unlucky enough to require a "Total Loss Claim" then the insurance assessor maybe looking a little harder to avoid recommending the claim, given the value of the pay out involved.
Play safe, contact your insurance company.
There could well be a "Non Loading" premium for this type of mod, but it will certainly alter from one insurance company to another that's a fact.
It clearly ask's the same question on every application for motor insurance quote I have ever completed :- "Has the car had / received ANY modifications carried out that has deviated away from the standard spec's of this car what so ever".
( Or something close to this type of wording ).
Ticking NO to this box makes YOU liable for any changes made to the car without authorisation from the insurance company prior.
On a similar note, why do some people looking for travel insurance fail to declare any issues with regards to their current state of health at the time of applying ?.
Yes, not declaring an health issue could reduce the cost of the cover okay, but if you need to make a claim, it will be certainly be rejected on the grounds that you did not declare the issue in the first instance !.
These people have access to your medical records now of course.
To me, if you don't intend to declare the truth on your application then don't waste your money in the first place, because your so called "Insurance" is pretty much useless.
You will never know how good or bad your insurance REALLY is until the time comes when you need to make a claim, then it's to late of course.
I have been paying for contents and buildings insurance for over 40 years now and have been lucky enough never had to file a claim.
You would therefore expect a claim to be pretty straight forward thing, right ?.
I am not kidding myself that it would be THAT easy folks !.
Could have built a nice extension on my house with money I have spent on premiums over THAT time scale.
I guess many members find themselves in a similar situation as myself on this subject.
The cheeky buggers STIIL try to increase my premiums by at least 20% every single year though !.
Sorry folks I do apologise, drifted "Off Topic".
Rant now over, time for another B.P. tablet !.
Take care.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On reflection, I will definitely stick with VW wheels! I think the VW Montpelier rims look like pretty good, low-drag EV rims... can anyone see a reason why they wouldn’t be a good fit for the Passat GTE? Thanks

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
On reflection, I will definitely stick with VW wheels! I think the VW Montpelier rims look like pretty good, low-drag EV rims... can anyone see a reason why they wouldn’t be a good fit for the Passat GTE? Thanks
I see no reason why they would not fit ?.
I am pretty sure a couple of members have fitted these type of rims to their GTE in a 16” format, taken from the e.Golf I believe ?.
I am sure somebody will be along shortly to advise.
The whees in question are made by Rondal which are then supplied to VW.
They have an extensive range.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Yes, they should fit fine. The similar looking Passat and e-Golf wheels are slightly different. The Passat ones you linked to are 7” wide with an ET40 offset, e-Golf Astana wheels are 6.5” and ET46. Both have 5x112 PCD and 57.1mm hub diameter though.

You could in theory fit the narrower e-Golf wheels on the Passat too, might benefit range a little, but you’d need to check the brake caliper clearance is sufficient.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yes, they should fit fine. The similar looking Passat and e-Golf wheels are slightly different. The Passat ones you linked to are 7” wide with an ET40 offset, e-Golf Astana wheels are 6.5” and ET46. Both have 5x112 PCD and 57.1mm hub diameter though.

You could in theory fit the narrower e-Golf wheels on the Passat too, might benefit range a little, but you’d need to check the brake caliper clearance is sufficient.
Thanks @Tooks !.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the info, appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Anyone interested in / worried about changes to the handling?
People should be interested in those things yes, but 17s to the narrower 16s is hardly a big change, the Passat will probably be homologated for winter rims and tyres the same size as the e-Golfs anyway. Suitable sizes are usually inside the fuel flap or inside the door aperture.

This is the result of 17” Passat vs 16” e-Golf.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brilliant info! Lol I’m not very proficient in these things so I would probably just “play it safe” and get the 17-in 225/45/R Montpeliers, as these are definitely designed for the Passat (?). I just need to find out their weight to check they are actually lighter than the 18 stock rims, pointless to upgrade otherwise!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick question: some of these rims on eBay come with the VW badge at the centre (don’t know the proper name for this part), while in other photos it is missing. Why would that be?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
If somebody had gone for after market rims, then they may come with manufacturers canter caps.
So, they either let the VW caps go with the wheels or list them as a separate item for extra cash ?.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
The centre caps are clip in items, the sellers may be using them on other wheels or they may have become lost.

Some wheels may be refurbished or have come through a salvage process.

Not all VW centre caps fit all wheels unfortunately, and replacements can be expensive, possibly another reason why they’re not with the wheels as they’re for sale separately?

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Ok thank you both – I’ve just found a UK company selling 4x Montpelier 17s including Pirelli tyres, do you guys think the price is fair given that there are some dings/scratches on the rims. Also, are these tyres a good choice for the weight of the GTE Estate?
What are the tyre sizes on the factory Passat wheels? Are they 215/55/17 as well? You don’t want to change the rolling radius too much.

What tyre sizes are you running currently?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts