Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got one of these Ampera shelf or similar? Looks really smart but no pricing or UK outlet that I can see.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Thread o it here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?111258-Carbon-Fiber-Cargo-Cover/page2&s=0b0f0e12be5ac23cefad8fa0a3973803
About £500 by the looks of it...

Another option is this:
http://voltshelf.weebly.com/features-and-information.html
$150 plus shipping, which is about £90... group buy anyone to bring down the cost of shipping it from the US? I've dropped him a line to see if he'd be interested in doing a group buy, but I suspect the shipping of something that large would make it prohibitive...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard,

Yes that's where I'd originally seen it. Not keen on the voltshelf I followed a link or 2 and ended on the "manufacturers" site but its seems a bit of a home made cottage industry affair. The Italian CCC looks great but for £500 its a non starter for me which is shame - the tea-bag-in-the-boot is the one feature I'm embarrassed about on this car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have just bought one of these.

http://voltshelf.weebly.com/features-and-information.html

The guy who makes them is very good to deal with. It took 2 weeks to ship from Rochester New York and he tracks it for you sending you updates by email on where it is. Paid for it via Pay Pal.

I am very pleased with this product.
load area is now totally secure from prying eyes as it comes with a piece fill the gap between the rear seats.
now very quite from the rear with reduced road noise.

Yes it may be home made but its a quality product !!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our postings crossed there. So you actually have one - how is it in the flesh? how much does it costs in proper money?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Ooh, interesting. And my brother lives in the USA.

·
Registered
178 Posts
£146 + £27 Customs. It was a birthday present to myself!!!
It was a bit of a risk not seeing it in the flesh before purchase but I do not regret it in the slightest.
Everyone who has purchased one on the Volt Forum are very pleased also.

He can also sell it to you in kit form for £87

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh OK thanks - that pricing is pretty realistic and I'm pleased it worked out. Have just heard from the Italian manufacturer - they will sell direct for "special" price of 350 euros + VAT + shipping so that's a non starter.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
£146 + £27 Customs. It was a birthday present to myself!!!
It was a bit of a risk not seeing it in the flesh before purchase but I do not regret it in the slightest.
Everyone who has purchased one on the Volt Forum are very pleased also.

He can also sell it to you in kit form for £87
Did that include shipping?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Just had a very nice reply from Steve for the VoltShelf:

Hi Richard,

I am glad you have found me. The VoltShelf really is a nice addition to our cars. I have shipped a few to England and can do so again. The last one I sent over cost $86 in shipping and handling. I believe I can ship 3-4 in one package via UPS or USPS, but UPS is really expensive The real concern is the size of the package. It is very close to the dimensions allowed.

For USPS, sending 3-4 would cost @ $60 each. To get that price, I would have to ship in quantities of 3 or 4, depending on how many I can fit in the biggest possible box size.

I believe there would be some customs fees or duty that you would be charged at on delivery. Obviously, I do not know what this would be and it would be your responsibility. It will be easiest to do all of the customs paperwork in one person's name rather than individually.

I am happy to work with you to make this happen. I will check tonight to see if it is possible to get 4 of them in a shipping box, or if I am limited to 3. Please let me know if the above information is ok for you and we can take it from there. It will take a couple of weeks for me to get caught up to all of my orders and build a batch for you.

For payment, paypal is likely the simplest method.

Thanks!

Steve
------

Who else would be interested in getting one? I'd be happy to co-ordinate getting a batch; if people are happy to pay me up-front via PayPal then I'm happy to forward the cash straight across to Steve in the US. Then when the big box arrives, I can post them out individually.

Cheers

Richard

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Hi Richard,

I am interested and thanks for volunteering to co-ordinate. :)

Getting a little confused over the price though. I understand that a group buy will reduce the price per unit for shipping but what are we looking at as a total?

i.e.
Purchase price $150.00
discounted shipping $60
customs charges ?
UK postage/courier?

TOTAL: ??

I suppose this final price will dictate exactly how many people will be interested.

Thanks,

Derek

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hi Derek, Bruce,

Yes, the price is yet to be confirmed - first I need to know approximate numbers, nothing concrete and nothing you will be held to :) Then Steve can give me a purchase and shipping price, I can add on the customs and shipping price from me to you, and we'll be at the end total.

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
According to dutycalculator.com total price for a $150 car part plus $60 shipping will be VAT at 20% £24.89 for a total price of £149.33. It says there is 3.5% duty but the duty not payable as the item value is under £135.
For $86 shipping the total it comes up with is £167.82.

That means a bulk order will, I think, incur an additional 3.5%, plus the cost of posting them again once they've arrived in the UK and it isn't immediately obvious there will be much saving.

Approximately where are you? There might be scope for people to collect and save on UK postage.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hi Duncan,

Very methodical, thank you! If it's only going to be a quid or two cheaper then it's not worth the hassle. I'll wait and see he comes back with and we can work it from there.

Forgot to say, I'm just north of Warwick.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree it's going to be some hassle for you Richard sending them out again, so maynot be worth it. I'm on the Worcester/Hereford border so not a million miles away but more than a full charge :rolleyes:

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,442 Posts
I could be up for one as well. I have just bought a length of car carpet to try and make something to place against the rear seats to close out the gap.
@PRO-AMPERA how does the bit that covers the gap between the rear seats attach or stay in place?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Looks nice! I'm pondering whether my desire to have something better than the piece of fabric is such that I'll spend over £150 though :) Undecided at the moment....

1 - 20 of 125 Posts