Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd like some sort of frunk. There is plenty of space under the bonnet and the bonnet release is by the drivers knee which is much better than most cars which have been left in the passengers footwell.
Enough space to store charge cables and a few bits and pieces. Need to run the car to see what gets hot though.
I shall try and remember to get my thermal camera out on the next test drive.

I've already started the investigation for a better front grill/charge port. Using a petrol version grill (off ebay) and making the charge port simply behind the badge, also changing the breathing effect (which I've not actually seen) into a full width effect over the grill with small LED's. When I get a proper look at the car I shall be investigation further. This is all assuming there is a tiny bit of slack on the internal charge cable as having to change anything on that puts things right out of possibility.
I did think of adding a little servo to the charge flap to make it drive open and closed but that is getting a bit too nerdy even for me.
MG ZS ice grill on
Ebay item 273978505560
£50 buy it now £80
Pictures of the back of the grill and badge

·
Registered
764 Posts
MG ZS ice grill on
Ebay item 273978505560
£50 buy it now £80
That is interesting to see the backside of the Grill. I was hoping it would be easily removable, as I want to De-Chrome the grill and a few other parts. It is hard to make out on those pics, but the Chroome part loks like it is clipped onto the Black Honeycome part

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well, it is not only that, additional stress on suspension and worse acceleration. So what's the weight and price?
I still dont care enough to look for weight. Price is £500. BTW changing from 17"-18" looses on average 0.1 - 0.2 seconds. I doubt Mr BMW 320d will notice that difference when he sees im 7 car lengths in front of him off the lights ;p

·
Registered
236 Posts
You know the boot is 470ltrs right? There isn't a need to make room under the bonnet for the charge lead.
The idea of a frunk is just to make an easy place to get the charge cables at. Having them under the floor in the boot isn't exactly practical unless you keep nothing in there at all and oddly having a larger boot will probably mean more stuff is in there.

MG ZS ice grill on
Ebay item 273978505560
£50 buy it now £80
I was looking at some others but that one looks even better. Not biting yet until I get a chance to inspect the whole charge area and bits. A Dremel and some 3d printed bits and it's bound to be better than what is there currently. Pretty sure it is going to end up voiding the warranty so unless the charge port turns out to be a right pain to use on a daily basis it will have to wait for a while. Maybe if I get could get some buy-in from the dealer they would at least let the warranty for the rest of the car carry on unhindered.

What I'd personally like to find is some sort of engine protection. At the moment there is just a hole identical to the petrol version, this dramatically increases the amount of dust, dirt, corrosion, and drag.
After seeing the vid from the underside I can see this being one of the first things to get sorted. They left the big hole there for crap to get in. I thought all cars these days had some sort of under tray to prevent spray in to the engine bay, the old things I normally drive do anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I still dont care enough to look for weight. Price is £500. BTW changing from 17"-18" looses on average 0.1 - 0.2 seconds. I doubt Mr BMW 320d will notice that difference when he sees im 7 car lengths in front of him off the lights ;p
Hi Buck I found another de chromed black ZS on a Thai Channel looks chunky with the bigger alloys and it has wind deflectors, £72 on amazon? Not sure but the ladies of the house like them. What do you reckon?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
The idea of a frunk is just to make an easy place to get the charge cables at. Having them under the floor in the boot isn't exactly practical unless you keep nothing in there at all and oddly having a larger boot will probably mean more stuff is in there.
Thing is its easier to get into the boot than the bonnet. Bonnet you need to pull the bonnet release (passenger side?) and then the safety clip under the bonnet. Does the bonnet have gas struts? Open boot, grab the MG badge and pull up. So twice the effort to get to the cable.

Normally with a secret floor you tend to only put stuff down there you don't need. So tyre gunk, pump, granny lead, spare tyre etc. The type 2 will be used frequently, so stick it in a tidy bag and keep it in the boot proper.

Reactions: Robson and Carty

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi Buck I found another de chromed black ZS on a Thai Channel looks chunky with the bigger alloys and it has wind deflectors, £72 on amazon? Not sure but the ladies of the house like them. What do you reckon?

The wheels are very similar to the ones I posted above. I like that a lot. It seems to have a more subtle body-kit fitted than the one I found on the white car above. (y)(y)

·
Registered
169 Posts

The Thai's seem to have really embraced the MG ZS. Would be good to see some modding options over here, oem or 3rd party. Wonder what impact the bigger wheels have on range?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,379 Posts
The Thai's seem to have really embraced the MG ZS. Would be good to see some modding options over here, oem or 3rd party. Wonder what impact the bigger wheels have on range?
If you reduce the tyre profile as you increase the tyre diameter, the overall circumference will stay roughly the same so the range won't alter (and more importantly for speeding tickets, neither will the speedo accuracy).

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Thai's seem to have really embraced the MG ZS. Would be good to see some modding options over here, oem or 3rd party. Wonder what impact the bigger wheels have on the range?
The size itself will only impact handling, alloy weight will impact depending on the weight difference. We don't know how much original 17in weight so we can't speculate really...
I'm sure with proper forged 18-19 you may even get a slight range boost :D

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Thing is its easier to get into the boot than the bonnet. Bonnet you need to pull the bonnet release (passenger side?) and then the safety clip under the bonnet. Does the bonnet have gas struts? Open boot, grab the MG badge and pull up. So twice the effort to get to the cable.

Normally with a secret floor you tend to only put stuff down there you don't need. So tyre gunk, pump, granny lead, spare tyre etc. The type 2 will be used frequently, so stick it in a tidy bag and keep it in the boot proper.
I do agree, but I think I may try keeping my type 2 cable under the boot cover in order to keep the boot looking tidy.
I guess it depends how much your going to need it really ?.
I have a Role tethered wall box, so the type 2 only gets used for public charging which is not very often.
99% of my present charging is carried out at home, so lifting the boot floor cover will not be regular thing.
We will see hey ????.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah there's lots of Thai utube vids. They perhaps see MG as a Thai product as Saic built a brand new factory there through 2017 and it was up and running in June 2018. Here's a short vid of the factory I was particularly interested in the body shop from about 4.20, you will need to turn the volume down the back ground music is very loud. and there are 2 links to videos showing a real time drive in Thailand.

Saic Motor plant Project
11.00 mins

MG Electric car batteries
3.31 mins

MG ZS ev 11km drive through hills in Thailand in real time (mainly up hill) with shots of GOM during the drive 19.20 mins

MG ZS ev I think this is the return journey but I am not sure, for those who are interested .

21 - 40 of 66 Posts