Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is interesting to see the backside of the Grill. I was hoping it would be easily removable, as I want to De-Chrome the grill and a few other parts. It is hard to make out on those pics, but the Chroome part loks like it is clipped onto the Black Honeycome part
The ebay listing for that grille said 'Note fitting grille requires bumper removal' that could make things even more tricky!

·
Registered
199 Posts
If I go decide to go through with the order of the SZ EV after the LONG ......... awaited test drive, I think I may favour semi retiring the "Granny" to the garage, only to be brought out for trips where the lack of charging posts way be an issue.
Then, maybe purchase a "Bog Standard" steel wheel rim from MG and install good quality budget tyre that can be used for emergency purposes only.
A bit of a "Get you Home" type of set up really.
Many cars now just don't have the space under the boot floor to take a spare wheel and tyre anymore, the MG is probably the exception to the rule in this department.
I guess the ZS EV shares the very same body shell as all of the ICE model cars produced, therefore the facility for spare wheel is a great option !.
My present car has NO spare wheel & tyre set up, yes I have the inflation kit and two cans of Holts tyre weld as a back up plan.
But there is no replacement for a spare wheel in my opinion.
Yes, if your tyre is damaged beyond the scope of tyre foam, then you can call the recovery people of course.
If they are very busy, it could take them a couple of hours to reach you for what is a 15 min job.
I will save that call out for when I run out of HV battery I think !.
There looks enough room in the spare wheel well on the ICE models to accommodate both the spare wheel and the type 2 cable with no problems at all.
The wheel well in the boot will accomadate the the normal alloy wheel but you will have to put the board on it's highest setting.I bought the MG spare wheel kit which includes the jack,and the wheel nut wrench when I ordered the car.I also ordered the type 2 cable and the interior pack which includes front and rear mats,water proof boot tray and front and rear mud flaps.the space saver kit fits perfectly in the wheel well and you can put the board on its lowest setting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I purchased the spare wheel I had to find somewhere for the granny cable. I've trimmed the black polystyrene that was made redundant so it fits under the bonnet. It has a slot for the granny cable and also has room for my type2 cable. Much easier, just to grab the cables from under the bonnet than have to find them in the boot. Would happily buy a better fitting tray if someone made one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Then, maybe purchase a "Bog Standard" steel wheel rim from MG and install good quality budget tyre that can be used for emergency purposes only. A bit of a "Get you Home" type of set up really.
Sorry to bump, but did you ever do this? Getting my car Monday week and I've always had a full spare. Won't need it for local jaunts but worth it if touring.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Sorry to bump, but did you ever do this? Getting my car Monday week and I've always had a full spare. Won't need it for local jaunts but worth it if touring.
Hi Sue - No I had already purchased the MG space saver set.
I not a big fan of the space saver wheels, but after coming from a car ( like many others today ) that only offer you a can of inflation fluid that will probably wreck your tyre or is useless for any large rips to the side walls, and the fact there is no room to carry a spare wheel.
Then just being able to carry a spare wheel at all, was an absolute god send I have to say !.
I also like having the max space in the boot, if you go for a full size wheel and tyre combo, you will loose a fair bit of depth in the boot floor.
Just some thing to consider ?.
The space saver is a decent compromise really, you get to keep all of the boot space and you can carry a spare wheel & tyre / wheel brace and jack of course !.
I have also got my type 2 charging cable curled around the outside of the space saver wheel.
If I want to hide items below the boot floor cover, I can just raise it up a notch and place things below it.
I like the flexibility this set up offers.
Check with your local dealer, but I can not see any reason why the wheel from the older HS will not fit the hubs on the ZS ?.
It is my understanding that the ZS does have the HS hubs fitted, where as all the ICE models have hubs with a different stud pitch.
The space saver kit that MG sell to suit the ZS EV was taken from the HS model.
Can you buy a bog standard steel wheel from the dealer ?.
If so and the price is reasonable, you just need a budget tyre and your sorted.
Oh ........ don't forget you will need a jack and wheel brace.
Get an after market wheel brace that can be extended, cheap enough to find anywhere, I have one in my boot.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the swift reply! Not a priority at the moment but as I see things I'm trying to get ideas together. On my current old Hyundai with a spacesaver I didn't have a problem as I've also got a set of winter wheels/tyre which I got for my annual skiing trip. If I do go this year (!) it won't be in my new MG, but even on a UK back road I don't fancy gunk or a long, long wait let alone up a mountain somewhere.

A trip to see friends in the Italian alps would be great in an EV, but crossing France would need a bit of time, a good restaurant guide for the stops and a list of hotels with chargers - which in fact I saw the other day when browsing but didn't bookmark. But it's all a bit fantasing at the moment, but why not?!

·
Journeyman Human
476 Posts
These wheels are only suitable for the ice zs (not EV) as EV has different wheel alignment
Wheel alignment has nothing to do with it. You mean different bolt centres. The ICE ZS uses 105mm, the ZS EV 112mm. That's the problem. However a large selection of Volkswagen group wheels are an exactly right fit. You do need the correct spigot rings to adapt Audi wheels though, and all VAG stuff needs to use radiused wheel bolts, not the MG original tapered bolts. ;)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Wheel alignment has nothing to do with it. You mean different bolt centres. The ICE ZS uses 105mm, the ZS EV 112mm. That's the problem. However a large selection of Volkswagen group wheels are an exactly right fit. You do need the correct spigot rings to adapt Audi wheels though, and all VAG stuff needs to use radiused wheel bolts, not the MG original tapered bolts. ;)
There is a man that knows stuff :ROFLMAO:.
Oh .... Did you manage to sort out the pressure senses for the TPMS system for the new wheels, how did that all work out on the ZS EV ?.
Easy, or a pain ?.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I’ve just fitted e VAG steel wheels to my car. 6.5J 16”. 5x112 57.1mm bore. ET48. Shod with Dunlop Sport 5 205/60 R16.

I have had MG TPMS sensors fitted, but need to book the car into a dealer for them to be programmed.

I'm waiting for a correct set of radius bolts and wheel trims.

Reactions: Carty

·
Journeyman Human
476 Posts
There is a man that knows stuff :ROFLMAO:.
Oh .... Did you manage to sort out the pressure senses for the TPMS system for the new wheels, how did that all work out on the ZS EV ?.
Easy, or a pain ?.
Easy in the end. Using a set of universal Autel sensors in the new wheels, with the coding from the originals copy and pasted to them by their programming pad. Worked perfectly first attempt. ;)

·
Journeyman Human
476 Posts
I’ve just fitted e VAG steel wheels to my car. 6.5J 16”. 5x112 57.1mm bore. ET48. Shod with Dunlop Sport 5 205/60 R16.

I have had MG TPMS sensors fitted, but need to book the car into a dealer for them to be programmed.

That's an interesting choice Mike, bucks the trend of going larger. What's the reason, ride comfort?

It will be interesting to see if you get a noticeable range increase due to the narrower tyres.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

Yeah - I did see an image of your car with the new wheels fitted, in the back ground shot on the Pod Cast with Miles etc tonight.
I did notice your little smile when Miles said that the new BMS update will be out latter this week, and this SHOULD hopefully fix the issues encountered by the last previous two updates.
My car is due it's first service and wiring harness recall on the drivers doors on Friday 15th Jan 21.
I have been in contact today and the harness has now arrived in stock.
Also, I have asked for the HV battery fuse software update to be applied ( SO17 ).
I will be holding back on other BMS updates until MG have resolved the current issues surrounding them..
My car HAS received the "Comfort 2" update early in December 20.
I am correct in thinking, that C2 update does still NOT allow the doors to be opened when the car is charging from a wall box, without interrupting the charge cycle ?.
It will still allow you to unlock the car to gain access, but as soon as you unlock the car, it will then pause's the charge cycle until you re-lock the car, then it will recommence the charge from the wall box.
I believe the BMS upgrade released in the summer of 2020 - WOULD allow you to un-lock the car when it was on charge from a wall box, without pausing the charging cycle, but as a result this update had issues that MG are now currently working on.
Interesting to here Mike - why you have taken this route with regards to reducing the size of the wheels ?.
Are they purely for winter use, or is there something else that you are playing with ?.
You have me reaching for my thinking cap right now !.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’d imagine going 16” allow for cheaper tyres, on my Soul EV a set of cross climates at 205/60/16 were over £120 cheaper than for the MGs 215/50/17s (similar story on the e-Golf on its 205/55/16s)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I’d imagine going 16” allow for cheaper tyres, on my Soul EV a set of cross climates at 205/60/16 were over £120 cheaper than for the MGs 215/50/17s (similar story on the e-Golf on its 205/55/16s)
I think Mike is moving house shortly, maybe he is expecting more snow at his new location and requires extra grip !.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I am correct in thinking, that C2 update does still NOT allow the doors to be opened when the car is charging from a wall box, without interrupting the charge cycle ?.

Interesting to here Mike - why you have taken this route with regards to reducing the size of the wheels ?.
Are they purely for winter use,
The 2nd generation Comfort System Update has absolutely nothing to do with the BMS and anything related to the battery or charging.

I am running winter tyres, I feel happier driving with them. We are moving to one of the highest points I understand in Northampton so a little exposed, so I’m just being prepared.

The 17” wheels are packed away for the winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I been thinking out a few things that could be done to ‘improve’ the ZS EV. (aside from heat pumps, corrosion resistance and timers & apps)

1. Aerodynamic underside to the car. Agreed: Like Hyundai: Full under covers, from front to back so the car is more slip streamed. What about a "Frunk" in the engine bay to cover the components and add a storage space for the charging cables etc under the front bonet.

2. Redesigned charge flap. My suggestion was to make the lid cascade downward rather than up. Add a small LED ring light around charging port. add a small 5x dot LED percentage so we can see how full the battery is from the charging port.

3. Centre headrest (MG5 version is fine: sell it as an aftermarket addon.

4. Centre rear armrest. with cup holders that a spread apart. the Driver-passenger cup holders are too close together.
5. rear seat LED interior light (another aftermarket accessory) How can dealers make money: sell accessories as reasonable prices.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
The 2nd generation Comfort System Update has absolutely nothing to do with the BMS and anything related to the battery or charging.
Hi Mike - I wanted to try and clarify if when the "Comfort 2" update was applied, should this then and allow the car to be unlocked, while the car is still pulling a charge from a wall box, without it disrupting the charge cycle.
I do believe not, because my car has received the update but when you unlock the doors with car pulling charge from my wall box, the charge cycle is broken.
It will restart the charge again when the car is relocked.
So, correct to Item 8 on the update list.
I THINK you can get away with opening the boot, but not the doors.
But I believe ( maybe you car confirm ) that the second BMS update DID allow you to open the doors and the car would continue charge on a wall box I believe.
On the MG web site, they produce a list of the advantages of having the "Comfort 2" updates done ( over the standard factory software settings ) and item 8 on that list, refers to this feature.
  • Vehicle can be unlocked during A/C charging, when re-locked charging automatically resumes.
    Comfort2 Update 2021-01-12 at 19.34.35.png

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hi Mike - I wanted to try and clarify if when the "Comfort 2" update was applied, should this then and allow the car to be unlocked, while the car is still pulling a charge from a wall box, without it disrupting the charge cycle.
I do believe not, because my car has received the update but when you unlock the doors with car pulling charge from my wall box, the charge cycle is broken.
It will restart the charge again when the car is relocked.
So, correct to Item 8 on the update list.
I THINK you can get away with opening the boot, but not the doors.
But I believe ( maybe you car confirm ) that the second BMS update DID allow you to open the doors and the car would continue charge on a wall box I believe.
On the MG web site, they produce a list of the advantages of having the "Comfort 2" updates done ( over the standard factory software settings ) and item 8 on that list, refers to this feature.
  • Vehicle can be unlocked during A/C charging, when re-locked charging automatically resumes. View attachment 139524
When it’s was released it didn’t work like that.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts