Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
When it’s was released it didn’t work like that.
Now I am confused ( which is not hard ) would you mind expanding on that please Mike ?.
I guess the 99 dollar question is this folks, if you have had the "Comfort 2" update done on your car, when you are charging from your wall box with the car fully locked, can you THEN open the doors and will the car continue to charge ?.
Because I know my car will not permit this.
I THINK it will allow me to seek into the boot and the car will keep charging, but not if I unlock the doors.
If I unlock the doors when charging, it will interrupt the charging cycle until the car is then again relocked, THEN the car will recommence the charging cycle again.
Just as MG describes on item 8 of the list of comfort 2 upgrade improvements as seen in my #59 post above.
I was of the opinion that unlocking the car and still continuing to be able to pull a charge from a wall box, was only achieved when one of the BMS updates ( now put on hold by MG ) was applied to the car.
You always had the facility to lock and unlock the car when charging from a rapid charger without it interrupting the charge I believe, it was only home charging that would not allow this function.
Can somebody confirm my understanding please.
Thanks.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,680 Posts
can you THEN open the doors and will the car continue to charge ?.
I've had mine done (sometime June) and if I unlock the doors (not boot) it stops charging. If you close and lock again the charge will start again. This did not happen before the update. Before I had to go through the whole process again (plug out, plug in, lock door)

Another thing here. Trying to start a charge at Tesco PodPoint this afternoon and have to leave SWMBO in the car as she has a poor heart and won't go inside the shops if they're even slightly busy. As I lock the door to start the charge we get a (single) beep from the horn. I have to take her key with me before the doors will lock quietly.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I've had mine done (sometime June) and if I unlock the doors (not boot) it stops charging. If you close and lock again the charge will start again. This did not happen before the update. Before I had to go through the whole process again (plug out, plug in, lock door)

Another thing here. Trying to start a charge at Tesco PodPoint this afternoon and have to leave SWMBO in the car as she has a poor heart and won't go inside the shops if they're even slightly busy. As I lock the door to start the charge we get a (single) beep from the horn. I have to take her key with me before the doors will lock quietly.
Thanks Neil - At least this confirms that both our cars react in the same way after the Comfort 2 update was applied.
I totally understand the situation regarding your wife being super careful, she is very wise and right to be concerned for her safety.
My now 8 year old grand daughter had open heart surgery twice in less than twelve months when she was first born and is therefore on the shielding list.
We owe it to her to be extremely careful in our behaviour now.
Regarding the single beep of the horn, maybe MG have left that single beep in the software to warn you about leaving the key in the car ?.
I guess it detected your wife’s key was still in the car and warned you of its presents.
No bad thing really though ?.
My car is in for its first service and the wiring harness recall this coming Friday ( 25.01.21 )
I have asked for the HV battery fuse software update to be applied at the same time.
Also, I have asked for them NOT to apply any further updates on the car at present.
MG are about to release a new software update on the BMS that should flatten the bugs caused by the last two BMS updates.
A job for another day I feel right now !.
Stay safe !.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
@Carty

When the 2nd generation comfort system update was released in June/July the car would not charge with the car unlocked. The memo was incorrect.

The car was only able to charge while unlocked on AC after the first duff BMS was
applied which was released around August. This caused the car to take many, many hours to do an equalisation charge.

Then there was another BMS update to update the duff BMS in October which magically reduced the range of the car, caused power reduction when cold and reduced regeneration when cold. Yet another duff BMS update!

Both BMS updates have been removed from the SIPS system at MG pending the immanent release of yet another BMS update that is supposed to rectify all the above problems.

Reactions: Neilew and Carty

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
@Carty

When the 2nd generation comfort system update was released in June/July the car would not charge with the car unlocked. The memo was incorrect.

The car was only able to charge while unlocked on AC after the first duff BMS was
applied which was released around August. This caused the car to take many, many hours to do an equalisation charge.

Then there was another BMS update to update the duff BMS in October which magically reduced the range of the car, caused power reduction when cold and reduced regeneration when cold. Yet another duff BMS update!

Both BMS updates have been removed from the SIPS system at MG pending the immanent release of yet another BMS update that is supposed to rectify all the above problems.
Thanks for clarifying that information.
So the only update that appears to work successfully is the HV battery fuse update released around October 20 and the very first update, around November 19 that prevented the car from falling into a deep sleep, and missing a delayed charge.
I did enjoy last weeks pod cast last week with yourself and Miles etc.
Thanks !.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,680 Posts
There once was an old lady who swallowed a fly. I don't know why......

61 - 66 of 66 Posts