Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put aftermarket alloy wheels on their Ampera? I love the car except the wheels which I categorically detest. Before I spend quite a lot of money on some round metal I'd like to see whether anybody else has done anything similar. Pictures would be great!

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
Not easy to get correct fiting as I recall but someone did post on here a while ago a successful solution.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting post, I hadn't seen that despite plenty of Googling, Thanks.

I may consider some Vauxhall wheels from another model - possibly from an Astra J. Still, looks like it will take a bit more searching and research!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I love the car except the wheels which I categorically detest.
I really like the original alloys, they suit the car, although I think they could have been 18s, purely from an aesthetic point of view. There are plenty of aftermarket wheels which fit the Ampera. I have a set of 17" ATS light alloys wheels for my winter tyres. They have identical fitment to the original wheels and ride beautifully with the Continental WinterContact tyres but I don't like the look of them, compared to the originals.
ATS.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Have you both got the TPMS sensors fitted to the wheels? Any issues with fitting them?

It's all down to personal preference - I quite like deep wheels and the Ampera wheels are almost the exact opposite of that! Also the standard wheels do seem very prone to corrosion, I wouldn't expect corrosion on a 4 year old wheel and yet mine have some already. As I bought the car used I'll have to come to a solution myself!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
I bought 16" alloy rims to take winter tyres from tyreleader. Fit fine. Not much clearance over the front brake calliper though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Have you both got the TPMS sensors fitted to the wheels? Any issues with fitting them?
Not with fitting them but I have had issues using two sets of sensors.
I quite like deep wheels and the Ampera wheels are almost the exact opposite of that!
The Ampera design is probably a result of trying to improve the drag coefficient, though.
I wouldn't expect corrosion on a 4 year old wheel and yet mine have some already. As I bought the car used I'll have to come to a solution myself!
I would go for powder coating. Every car I have owned has been secondhand and, in every case except for the Ampera, the rims were scuffed. I always had them powder coated and, when I later sold the cars, it was invariably noted that the rims were in beautiful condition.
I bought 16" alloy rims
I saw plenty of 16" wheels advertised here but they look too small on the car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, no problems.
But is your car automatically switching between the two sets of sensors and re-learning correctly each time?

I got mine in black and that seems to make the wheel look just fine, being the same colour as the tyres themselves.
Buy a 16" rim and get a 19" look ;). Mine are also matt black but, despite being 17s, they still look quite small.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
But is your car automatically switching between the two sets of sensors and re-learning correctly each time?
Yes. Switch from originals to new set learnt in about 5 miles of driving, and the switch back also went 100% fine. Am expecting to switch back again to winters soon with no hassles.

Update 31/10: Winters now fitted & all 4 TPMS sensors working perfectly. No probs! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I sourced a set of Vauxhall original 18" alloys as fitted to the GTC model. Had correct PCD 115 and an offset of 41.
Didn't fit the pressure sensors as tyre fitters didn't recommend disturbing the existing ones and I could not justify spending a extra £100 + to know the tyre pressure.

·
23,003 Posts
I'm a smaller rim type of tyre person but I did look at trying 18". Are they a harsher ride than 17"? My main concern is that the best rolling resistance is 'C' in that size.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not that I noticed but found (in my opinion) that car felt more planted when going round corners. With the original tyre size I always had the feeling the car was too wallowy for my liking.

Also should say that the wheels I got were 7.5 x 18 so not much wider than standard. Did consider the Astra J vxr style rims but original Vxl ones were the wrong offset and wider.

With our other cars the tyre profiles are 45 and the tyres I fitted were not as low.

Interestingly for a couple of days the car still recorded as having tyre sensors then said there was a fault and that just cleared itself.

·
23,003 Posts
What is the offset for 18"? Not sure I have seen anything authoritative. I would have assumed it was the same as the Cascada which the Ampera seems to share all of its cornery-bits with.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm a smaller rim type of tyre person but I did look at trying 18". Are they a harsher ride than 17"? My main concern is that the best rolling resistance is 'C' in that size.
Donald, my winters are 1" smaller rim than the regular rims. The ride is a bit softer than standard, and a little bouncier over humps etc. I got exactly the same qualitative change on my Fabia when I fitted 1" smaller winters to that as well.

In terms of rolling resistance, I went for Nokians which seemed good last winter, but was had to quantify. As my charger-circuit's blown, I'm now using Mountain Mode 100%, and a recent trip was getting me 50 mpg at indicated 60 speed, down to 40 mpg at indicated 75. Am off on another long trip soon, and I'll put my winters on this w/e, so I'll try to get a subjective feel for what sort of loss in mpgs I get, if any. Will report back later - remind me after 14th Nov. FWIW my Nokians are a lot quieter than the Michelins; whether that's because they're newer I don't know. Maybe it's the extra amount of rubberiness = less stiffness => transmits less road-vibration?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sourced a set of Vauxhall original 18" alloys as fitted to the GTC model. Had correct PCD 115 and an offset of 41.
Didn't fit the pressure sensors as tyre fitters didn't recommend disturbing the existing ones and I could not justify spending a extra £100 + to know the tyre pressure.
Would you mind sharing a couple of pictures? Astra GTC wheels were one of my thoughts!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts