Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my ex-demo Golf GTE on Monday (yipee!!). It is a bog standard one with no sat nav and so I've added that as an extra.

Firstly, adding an aftermarket one costs £599 whereas IIRC selecting your basic sat nav as an option when configuring new costs at least £765. I'm sure it must be better (right?) but £165 better? o_O

Secondly, although you can't get safety camera alerts on the stock sat nav, you CAN on the aftermarket version. You do need to subscribe to PocketGPSWorld (www.pocketgpsworld.com) at a cost of £19.99 and (technically) the alerts can only be added during the initial install. But still, I guess it is worth it.

For anyone interested the instructions on what to do can be found here:-

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm getting my ex-demo Golf GTE on Monday (yipee!!). It is a bog standard one with no sat nav and so I've added that as an extra.

Firstly, adding an aftermarket one costs £599 whereas IIRC selecting your basic sat nav as an option when configuring new costs at least £765. I'm sure it must be better (right?) but £165 better? o_O

Secondly, although you can't get safety camera alerts on the stock sat nav, you CAN on the aftermarket version. You do need to subscribe to PocketGPSWorld (www.pocketgpsworld.com) at a cost of £19.99 and (technically) the alerts can only be added during the initial install. But still, I guess it is worth it.

For anyone interested the instructions on what to do can be found here:-
I assume that is the Kenwood aftermarket unit that VW dealers offer aftermarket. I had considered getting it fitted to mine when VW UK failed to add Discovery Navigation to my build when it became available. However my dealer was unable to confirm to me if it would work with the GTE version of the software of Composition Media System given its extra functions. He nor his "Master Technicians" were not sure and we concluded it might not work, so I did not take the risk of having it fitted. I would therefore be very interested to know how it works out for you.

I had the reviews of it and was impressed with the integration. Being based on a Garmin system it should be better than VW maps and navigation.

You could as an alternative see if you can get App-connect activated which would be cheaper. Occasionally I need to reboot to get a connection but having Google Maps navigation integrated on the screen with traffic and routes constantly recalculated accordingly is pretty nice.

·
Registered
893 Posts
... if you've got a mobile!
Yes that is the inconvenience with the App connect solution - need to have a working mobile with data connection to get the most of it.

Hence why I was considering the aftermarket solution. Saying that I already own a TomTom so £599 does seem a bit steep just to have the satnav integrated!.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry - have you really not got a mobile? Even so it would still be cheaper to get a mobile than an aftermarket satnav!
Well, as it happens I do have a mobile but I do find having a sat nav permanently installed in the car somewhat more convenient than having to set up my mobile each time. Of course, I could go cheaper if I needed to but I prefer the convenience - a bit like I prefer the Golf GTE to a Reliant Robin. Both will get you from A to B (well, the Golf will, anyway) but the Golf is a lot nicer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
App connect would be better definitely. All you do is plug your phone in via cable and everything is then gone via touch screen as though integrated.

I had issues with mine initially but since all issues were resolved it's been brilliant and an excellent outlay (cost me £267)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but I thought the GTE comes with Nav (Discover) as standard and the upgrade option is the Discover Pro?

*Edit
Checked the configurator and I was wrong. But have noticed they have changed the alloy wheel design!

·
Registered
791 Posts
hmmm does an aftermarket head unit allow full access to all the menu information on the GTE (ie charging info, range etc etc) that is displayed on the OEM units?

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Quite an interesting product but the price does seem steep; crazy that VW can't (won't) provide an OEM solution to those with no car play and rather rely on aftermarket hacks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts