Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking out loud, shoot me down if you must.

Would it be outrageous to consider improving economy all round by replacing the Acenta 16" wheels and standard tyres with a larger, but lighter set of wheels?

Or even keeping at 16" and just buying some really light aftermarket wheels?

Has anyone done this and shared any results, does anyone know the weights of the various OEM Nissan LEAF wheel options?

Damn, I see the 'mericans are ahead of me, which is actually really useful to know!

See here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=74992

And here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12723

OEM 16" LEAF wheels are 21 lbs or 9.52544 kg in real money.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Can't see it making that much of a difference in economy tbh.

Tomorrow I am having brand new Juke alloys fitted on my LEAF acenta. Hope it fits OK :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unsprung weight makes a lot of difference in many ways, can't hurt economy if it's reduced surely?

Juke wheels seem to be the same spec so far as I can see online.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Oh yeah it will definitely help. But how much it will improve will it be hardly noticeable?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Just had the Juke alloys fitted to my LEAF. In my opinion they look a hell of alot better than the standard Acenta alloys. Before I left I had the tyre fitter to check if there was plenty of clearance on full lock (as the juke has a slightly different offset). He said there was tons of room so all good!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
New et47.

Old et40 or et42 I can't remember. Will check later.

People have been running them in USA for a while with no problems and no spacers needed.

Reactions: Paul

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New et47.

Old et40 or et42 I can't remember. Will check later.

People have been running them in USA for a while with no problems and no spacers needed.
Yep, every time I have an idea or question for the LEAF and Google it, the US folk on mynissanleaf tend to have it covered. Glad they're beta testing it all for us! :D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I was tempted by them but wasn't 100% it would suit. I'm sure someone can do a quick Photoshop :)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Just had the Juke alloys fitted to my LEAF. In my opinion they look a hell of alot better than the standard Acenta alloys. Before I left I had the tyre fitter to check if there was plenty of clearance on full lock (as the juke has a slightly different offset). He said there was tons of room so all good!

Just seen this old thread and much prefer these wheels to standard offering. Are these the 17 inch Juke wheels?

·
Premium Member
11,059 Posts
I agree a lot nicer than standard wheels.

Don't forget to tell your insurance company as any change from factory spec could cause you issues if you make a claim...

·
Registered
797 Posts
I do like the idea of fitting lighter wheels, I wonder if a more aerodynamic wheel would have much effect on economy, It could be a relatively cheep to add some moon discs to your rims, in turn making the Leaf look even more retro. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the Juke 17" rims (same as Deans White leaf shown) on my Mk1 leaf for about 45,000 miles. I had 225/45/17 Toyo Nanoenergy tyres on them. The handling was far better than the stock 16" wheels with Bridgestone Ecopia tyres in my opinion.
The 2016 Tekna has 215*17 tyres on, so very similar.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts