Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I studied Agile whilst waiting for the fixed tariff with my previous supplier to end. In the end, I went for Go Faster because the writing was on the wall even 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, I’m still on tracker for gas, which has doubled in price since March. It’s now cheaper to heat water with electricity than with gas.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Long term uncertainty and my desire to switch to a heat pump for heating is why I'm also buying a share in a wind farm - referral link to Ripple in my sig!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I studied Agile whilst waiting for the fixed tariff with my previous supplier to end. In the end, I went for Go Faster because the writing was on the wall even 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, I’m still on tracker for gas, which has doubled in price since March. It’s now cheaper to heat water with electricity than with gas.
octopus flexible is 3.4, moving to 3.7 in october.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
I have solar and battery already, which works great for 3 seasons, but when going for a heat pump it will not help much in winter (think i will need ~3,000kwh of electricity per year for the heat pump) I know I will be buying from the grid then, I'd rather be certain i've paid to add enough renewable capacity to cover my use. Financially I could lose marginally, come out as a wash, or be better off if electricity prices go up massively. But I will know I have done the "right" thing, and that's worth a lot to me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have solar and battery already, which works great for 3 seasons, but when going for a heat pump it will not help much in winter (think i will need ~3,000kwh of electricity per year for the heat pump) I know I will be buying from the grid then, I'd rather be certain i've paid to add enough renewable capacity to cover my use. Financially I could lose marginally, come out as a wash, or be better off if electricity prices go up massively. But I will know I have done the "right" thing, and that's worth a lot to me.
That makes so much more sense.

In all honesty, I really want to go down the same path, but lack of finance and also knowing this property isn't going to be the long term home both hampering me somewhat.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
That makes so much more sense.

In all honesty, I really want to go down the same path, but lack of finance and also knowing this property isn't going to be the long term home both hampering me somewhat.
Which is another great point about Ripple, the share of wind farm is not tied to your property, so if you move it "moves" with you!

·
Registered
542 Posts
If my gas keeps going up I will turn off the gas heating for the water and switch the immersion heater on at 8.30pm every night!!
That’s what I’m doing.
Annoyingly my Solar iBoost diverter is about the only device in the house that can’t be integrated into home automation so whilst the gas heating is suppressed automatically, I have to remember to turn the immersion on.
octopus flexible is 3.4, moving to 3.7 in october.
Applied today on the September 2021 version, although who knows how long Octopus customer service will take to respond.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
329 Posts
Long term uncertainty and my desire to switch to a heat pump for heating is why I'm also buying a share in a wind farm - referral link to Ripple in my sig!
Us too! It’s so exciting. Should be generating in Dec. We had a visit from the marketing lady today to take pics of us for their website and socials. She was talking about how initial illustrations of how much we should save per year look like doubling. My hubby used to build commercial turbines in a previous life and had always wanted to own some wind power and now we can. Living in a G2 Listed house with a tiny garden in a town centre, other forms of generation aren’t open to us so this makes lots of sense. And knowing that we are actively adding green electrons to the grid is brilliant

I have an open mind, but wary about schemes investing in schemes like this. What happens if the turbine needs major repairs, or other unexpected costs arise. Does that mean any income disappears, or worse you're on the hook to fund it.
It’s all fully insured against all that sort of stuff. The turbine is owned by a co-operative of members and all Ripple do is set it up and facilitate it all. So we literally own a bit of the turbine - Ripple don’t. Hubby is an IFA and won’t have gone into this without knowing all the fine detail and “what ifs”. We should see returns that more than cover the actual kWh of our leccy bill.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
299 Posts
I looked into ripple but never pulled the trigger. We plan to get solar at some point as we’re now fully electric with the car and heatpump (even the gas meters gone!) just wasn’t really sure what to make of ripple. I’ll be interested to see people’s feedback once theyve been using it for a while

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
I looked into ripple but never pulled the trigger. We plan to get solar at some point as we’re now fully electric with the car and heatpump (even the gas meters gone!) just wasn’t really sure what to make of ripple. I’ll be interested to see people’s feedback once theyve been using it for a while
Yeah same, was about to jump in at the tail end of the farm they are building now but it's all sold out, that's why I've reserved a spot for the next one - don't want to lose out!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Us too! It’s so exciting. Should be generating in Dec. We had a visit from the marketing lady today to take pics of us for their website and socials. She was talking about how initial illustrations of how much we should save per year look like doubling. My hubby used to build commercial turbines in a previous life and had always wanted to own some wind power and now we can. Living in a G2 Listed house with a tiny garden in a town centre, other forms of generation aren’t open to us so this makes lots of sense. And knowing that we are actively adding green electrons to the grid is brilliant

It’s all fully insured against all that sort of stuff. The turbine is owned by a co-operative of members and all Ripple do is set it up and facilitate it all. So we literally own a bit of the turbine - Ripple don’t. Hubby is an IFA and won’t have gone into this without knowing all the fine detail and “what ifs”. We should see returns that more than cover the actual kWh of our leccy bill.
I have a house that has a roof that is unsuitable for Solar PV. So instead of doing my own installation at micro scale, invested the capital in small scale community on-shore wind and large scale Solar PV and off-shore wind with a spread of listed and unlisted shares. Despite the community turbines only breaking even because of over optimistic predictions of generation and a series of breakdowns, the remainder have produced good returns (both in capital and dividends) and for each £ invested the clean electricity generated is more than I could achieve with my own Solar PV. This mainly because the utility percentage for off-shore wind is so much higher than for Solar PV. Now having done due diligence buying shares in grid scale battery storage systems. Very happy to do what I can towards clean energy and next time I move it will be 6 kW Solar PV on the roof.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
299 Posts
Octopus are pretty big and the company is an offshoot of the bigger Octopus firm Based in venture capital real estate etc. I suspect they can ride this out in the short to medium term. A lot of the smaller ones I think will struggle until the market stabilises which could be a while

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Octopus are pretty big and the company is an offshoot of the bigger Octopus firm Based in venture capital real estate etc. I suspect they can ride this out in the short to medium term. A lot of the smaller ones I think will struggle until the market stabilises which could be a while
The big boys will be fully hedged. The smaller ones less so.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts