Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Octopus Energy’s new Agile tariff tracks wholesale electricity prices, allowing customers to take advantage if there is an excess of supply and the electricity price “goes negative”.

Across Britain, whenever more electricity is generated than consumed, wholesale prices fall – sometimes to below zero – at which point suppliers are paid to take energy off the grid.

The company has capped the maximum amount customers can be charged at 35p/kWh – about three times its standard electricity price.
Energy company promises to pay customers to use electricity

Agile Octopus | Octopus Energy

I can see how this would interest someone with an EV & Powerwall (once ToU shifting is enabled), or similar home battery, assuming all can be automated easily.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Although they're making a big deal out of the "paid to use electricity" thing, unsurprisingly that will be quite rare:

Over the past 12 months:
- The unit price of electricity dropped below 2p / kWh 31 times
- There were four ‘Plunge Price’ events when the unit price of electricity dropped below zero pence/ kWh

I'd be interested to know how they make the forward pricing information available each day, and therefore how easily it can be programmed into eg a Powerwall. Of course, the ideal situation would be if I could then sell it back to them at 25p/kWh later in the day...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Although they're making a big deal out of the "paid to use electricity" thing, unsurprisingly that will be quite rare:

Over the past 12 months:
- The unit price of electricity dropped below 2p / kWh 31 times
- There were four ‘Plunge Price’ events when the unit price of electricity dropped below zero pence/ kWh

I'd be interested to know how they make the forward pricing information available each day, and therefore how easily it can be programmed into eg a Powerwall. Of course, the ideal situation would be if I could then sell it back to them at 25p/kWh later in the day...
The information is posted each day at 4pm (based on the 3.30pm EPEX auction).

Apparently there is a REST API so you can trigger your smart home accordingly!

·
Registered
45 Posts
i find looking at the site the pricing very vague. not a single bit of historical data. not possible to make a calculated decision based on history. basically signing op is a gamble...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i find looking at the site the pricing very vague. not a single bit of historical data. not possible to make a calculated decision based on history. basically signing op is a gamble...
Fair comment. But they are working on making the information public; at the moment it is available for customers only.

·
Registered
880 Posts
looks like the price hovers around 9p/kwh off-peak. This is what i average now on Eco7 with the same supplier and 68% night useage. I think ill stick with big green deal 12m fixed for now. tho i think prices have gone up a bit lately.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They now have historical pricing data for each half hour of the last year available to download, and it looks like you get a cheaper rate during the day, aswell as during the night.

Has anyone signed up for the Octopus Agile tariff?

If so, how is it working out?
I have just been looking at that historical data, seems like there is a definite peak 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, so if I can avoid using the dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer and charging my car outside of that time then I can save a ton, as the rest of the time its significantly under my current rate.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have just been looking at that historical data, seems like there is a definite peak 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, so if I can avoid using the dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer and charging my car outside of that time then I can save a ton, as the rest of the time its significantly under my current rate.
That's one of the reasons we were thinking of switching to it when we get an EV. We already have west facing solar panels, so most days (when its sunny) we have enough generation to cover that peak expensive period for any background use. So would just avoid switching on anything that uses a lot of power during that peak time.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Dont you mean avoid using inside of that time?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just get a battery. In fact, it sounds like you could choose to size it just to fit the peak.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They now have historical pricing data for each half hour of the last year available to download, and it looks like you get a cheaper rate during the day, aswell as during the night.

Has anyone signed up for the Octopus Agile tariff?

If so, how is it working out?
Thanks, manged to put it through a pivot table. Below are averages for the year, incl VAT, for North Western Area. Split by day, month and half hour

Mon 12.095
Tue 12.349
Wed 12.177
Thu 12.363
Fri 12.372
Sat 11.993
Sun 11.644
Clearly weekend is cheaper

Jan 12.486
Feb 12.828
Mar 14.213
Apr 12.802
May 13.010
Jun 9.834
Jul 10.480
Aug 10.860
Sep 11.600
Oct 11.430
Nov 12.618
Dec 13.737
Not sure why March was a peak. Summer/autumn lows as expected

upload_2018-8-20_12-13-11.png

There were c450 x 30 min slots where the unit price dropped below 6 pence. Obviously most were at night but odd occasion was useable during the days

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just get a battery. In fact, it sounds like you could choose to size it just to fit the peak.
Best case that I can work out is that having a 5 kWh battery to see me over the peak period would save me £250 a year, so I would need to pay no more than £1000 for the battery to even consider it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Think back - it was bloody cold.

Thanks for providing the info.
Oh yes, that Beauty from the East!
I'd need to do the Math to make sure it suits my needs.
  • 21p/day standing charge is a 50% increase on what I pay now.
  • I'm a relatively low user (less than 1600 kWh/annum).
  • I don't have solar, or a battery for that matter. I could get a battery first and consider solar later on.
  • I've got my first EV on order (225XE), which is due to be delivered when current fixed price dual fuel offer ends.
  • Because t's a PHEV, it's fairly small battery (7.2kWh) so I can't take that much advantage of majority driving in Electric.
  • The flip side is that I can ensure the battery is fully charged during the cheapest 2hrs (02:00-04:00) which should fill the battery within 2 hours.
They say they update the prices at 4pm for the following 24hrs. Do they publish these prices, so people can plan ahead, if you're really into the granular stuff to maximise savings?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Best case that I can work out is that having a 5 kWh battery to see me over the peak period would save me £250 a year, so I would need to pay no more than £1000 for the battery to even consider it.
A 4 year payback seems ambitious - that's not going to happen with a battery anytime soon. Most of our customers have projected paybacks of 9-12 years, similar to solar.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just been having a brief look at prices and without getting a proper quote it seems estimates for a solar and battery system are about £7.5k

That’s both Ikea and Nissan

No real info on what type of panels and I would imagine battery capacity will be about 4kw

It’s a price to benchmark but obviously devil is in the detail

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just been having a brief look at prices and without getting a proper quote it seems estimates for a solar and battery system are about £7.5k

That’s both Ikea and Nissan

No real info on what type of panels and I would imagine battery capacity will be about 4kw

It’s a price to benchmark but obviously devil is in the detail
That sounds a bit cheap - I'm guessing that's only a small solar array (maybe 2-3 kWp) and a small battery (2-3 kWh).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts