Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I run my a/c all year round, I like that it keeps everything de misted and prefer less humid air. I’ve noticed in my i3 that I will have the a/c on as an example and temp set to 22 C and regularly I will feel it get warm and humid and the windscreen mists up for a minute or so, as if the a/c is switched off but I haven’t touched the button. After a minute, the a/c seems to come back on and the windscreen clears, I can feel the difference. The outside temp is 15 C plus so air con should not be cutting out because of external temp.

Does anyone get the same behaviour? I wondered if it was a power saving thing with these cars?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't get the same behaviour, but I start from a different point.
I do always leave the air con on, but the temp is set to 18, dropped to 16 for the first few minutes if the outside air is 25 C or more. Only in the coldest weather might I set the temp to 22, for a short time.
If driving any distance, say 20 miles, I drive in shirt sleeves, although for less than 10 I will wear a lightweight fleece over that. In those circumstances I will not be using pre-conditioning, unless I'm expecting the glass to be frosted over..

I use Comfort mode normally, only going into the mildest Eco mode if I envisage doing over 100 miles before I reach home again.

I don't think there is some sort of power saving affecting the behaivior you are experiencing.
I am not saying your default setting of 22 is causing the problem, merely demonstrating why my comparison is not direct.

Regards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't get the same behaviour, but I start from a different point.
I do always leave the air con on, but the temp is set to 18, dropped to 16 for the first few minutes if the outside air is 25 C or more. Only in the coldest weather might I set the temp to 22, for a short time.
If driving any distance, say 20 miles, I drive in shirt sleeves, although for less than 10 I will wear a lightweight fleece over that. In those circumstances I will not be using pre-conditioning, unless I'm expecting the glass to be frosted over..

I use Comfort mode normally, only going into the mildest Eco mode if I envisage doing over 100 miles before I reach home again.

I don't think there is some sort of power saving affecting the behaivior you are experiencing.
I am not saying your default setting of 22 is causing the problem, merely demonstrating why my comparison is not direct.

Regards.
Thanks for the reply. You like it Fresh in your car! I’m booking it into BMW and I’m going to get it re gassed as it’s nearly 5 years old so probably due. The a/c is definitely switching off and on, had it this morning, one minute the windows are clear and the next misting up big time, then it kicks in again and they clear. I don’t have recirculate on

Perhaps re gas will help but I’m not convinced that is the cause. It feels like it’s either by design or a faulty sensor in my mind

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had an afterthought - there is a button marked MAX A/C. On mine this seems to wind the fan speed to its highest, and direct all the air to the windscreen. I've used it a couple of times when the car has been sat in the sun and I've wanted cooler conditions more rapidly that just setting it to 16 C.

I wonder what the effect is on yours, in the 'screen misting' conditions.
Mind you, I'm not sure what conclusions might be drawn if the screen clears, because that may simply may be an effect of the increased airflow.

I also don't normally use recirculate, unless I'm behind a smelly farm trailer or a vehicle pushing out a lot of smoke from the exhaust.

A re-gas check seems like a sensible check.

Regards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had an afterthought - there is a button marked MAX A/C. On mine this seems to wind the fan speed to its highest, and direct all the air to the windscreen. I've used it a couple of times when the car has been sat in the sun and I've wanted cooler conditions more rapidly that just setting it to 16 C.

I wonder what the effect is on yours, in the 'screen misting' conditions.
Mind you, I'm not sure what conclusions might be drawn if the screen clears, because that may simply may be an effect of the increased airflow.

I also don't normally use recirculate, unless I'm behind a smelly farm trailer or a vehicle pushing out a lot of smoke from the exhaust.

A re-gas check seems like a sensible check.

Regards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I feel the air con switch off (it’s definitely switching off) and the front windows start to mist, I wait a minute to see if it kicks back in, then I hit the max ac button and it instantly clears. It’s not just the increased air flow, its the same effect you’d get if you had turned off the a/c then back on again, very quick clearing

I anticipate BMW will be completely clueless and will tell me the re gas’s will fix it but I’m not at all convinced of that. I’ll report back

·
Registered
445 Posts
When I feel the air con switch off (it’s definitely switching off) and the front windows start to mist, I wait a minute to see if it kicks back in, then I hit the max ac button and it instantly clears. It’s not just the increased air flow, its the same effect you’d get if you had turned off the a/c then back on again, very quick clearing

I anticipate BMW will be completely clueless and will tell me the re gas’s will fix it but I’m not at all convinced of that. I’ll report back
The fact that it clears quickly when you manually set it suggests to me that a re-gas is not the issue. More likely to be a sensor as you have suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts