Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Having a nightmare trying to find out what gas my i3 takes. Long story short is BMW want and absolute fortune to replace the ‘alleged’ damaged condenser and then re-gas.
I have a good friend who is an excellent mechanic who can replace the condenser for me including Labour for a 1/3 of the price. But he needs all the current gas removed before he will start on it. He is not able to do this, but has an aircon colleague locally who can if it’s R134A but not if it’s R1234yf.
Everywhere I’ve looked online seems to have conflicting information, with many saying R1234yf but a guy who replaced his all in the states using R134A. I’ve had the drunk out to look for labels/stamps/plates, and anything which might tell me, but found nothing. Manufactured at the start of 2015 if that helps. Would massively appreciate any help as I really need it doing with the hot weather and also the fact it helps cooling of the batteries. Many thanks guys (y)

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Hi guys. Having a nightmare trying to find out what gas my i3 takes. Long story short is BMW want and absolute fortune to replace the ‘alleged’ damaged condenser and then re-gas.
I have a good friend who is an excellent mechanic who can replace the condenser for me including Labour for a 1/3 of the price. But he needs all the current gas removed before he will start on it. He is not able to do this, but has an aircon colleague locally who can if it’s R134A but not if it’s R1234yf.
Everywhere I’ve looked online seems to have conflicting information, with many saying R1234yf but a guy who replaced his all in the states using R134A. I’ve had the drunk out to look for labels/stamps/plates, and anything which might tell me, but found nothing. Manufactured at the start of 2015 if that helps. Would massively appreciate any help as I really need it doing with the hot weather and also the fact it helps cooling of the batteries. Many thanks guys (y)
With or Without Heatpump?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
NRF EU database is pretty clear that 3 is R134a but the choice of lube oil is paramount and strict instructions have to be followed regarding additional lube oil to add (might be zero for i3 compressor change), spec, type etc

What about drier replacement. Is this separate or in the condenser?

Sorry, NRF is tabular form state either R134a or R1234yf so basically you may find no one except BMW know when the changeover occurred or which model variants use what eek>>>>>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you - I have already seen that thread which is one of the main reasons for confusion, as he used R134A and seemed to have no problems, but I also appreciate this was a US car so might vary in gas. Also most online info has suggested R1234yf, hence why I’m seeking clarification really.

NRF EU database is pretty clear that 3 is R134a but the choice of lube oil is paramount and strict instructions have to be followed regarding additional lube oil to add (might be zero for i3 compressor change), spec, type etc

What about drier replacement. Is this separate or in the condenser?

thank you Freddy. It’s without a heat pump. I think these were only on the BEV and not the REX (Certainly 2015 anyway). The condenser has a built in drier.
Yeah I’ve read about the importance of the oil too - lots of mention on the previous linked thread for the guy in the US who repaired his.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, NRF is tabular form state either R134a or R1234yf so basically you may find no one except BMW know when the changeover occurred or which model variants use what eek>>>>>

Indeed - just spotted that on the chart too, so it’s not clear. I’ve no doubt later models certainly switched over to R1234yf, but need to get mine right obviously. I’m not so sure if I call BMW they will provide me with that information - maybe I’ll call a service centre I’ve not dealt with before just explaining I’m having the condenser done elsewhere to save some money but need the gas replaced after by them (but need removal of the gas initially for the work).:unsure:

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
232 Posts
My 64 plate i3 REx without heat pump uses R1234yf. To check, I just opened the 'bonnet' and looked at the labelling on the underside of said 'bonnet' - near where the windscreen washer hoses run.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Thank you - I have already seen that thread which is one of the main reasons for confusion, as he used R134A and seemed to have no problems, but I also appreciate this was a US car so might vary in gas. Also most online info has suggested R1234yf, hence why I’m seeking clarification really.

thank you Freddy. It’s without a heat pump. I think these were only on the BEV and not the REX (Certainly 2015 anyway). The condenser has a built in drier.
Yeah I’ve read about the importance of the oil too - lots of mention on the previous linked thread for the guy in the US who repaired his.
Worst case to be absolutely correct is to sign up to a paid for subscription to a kosha database

which will give you loads of additional but critical information on how to do the job factory corect

1 - 9 of 9 Posts