Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very rarely use the air conditioning in my diesel car due to it sapping power and using more fuel. I turned it off on my Fluence, and find the heating system still seems to work okay. Does this use more current than the air con, though?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I very rarely use the air conditioning in my diesel car due to it sapping power and using more fuel. I turned it off on my Fluence, and find the heating system still seems to work okay. Does this use more current than the air con, though?
For demisting, air-con definitely uses a lot less power than heating in an EV. I'm pretty sure the Fluence has a resistance heater, which is a massive power drain. Most newer EV's have a heat pump which has less of an impact.

Also, air-con needs to be ran regularly so the lubricant in the refrigerant can lubricate the seals. Otherwise the system will start leaking gas and then sieze up, which will be expensive to fix.

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
161 Posts
I very rarely use the air conditioning in my diesel car due to it sapping power and using more fuel.
On the face of it that might seem logical. But driving with the windows open on hot days will use just as much extra fuel through the vehicle being less aerodynamic, not to mention the uncomfortable effect on the occupants through wind blast and noise.

Also, air-con needs to be ran regularly so the lubricant in the refrigerant can lubricate the seals. Otherwise the system will start leaking gas and then sieze up, which will be expensive to fix.
Not the case. EV air-con compressors are completely self-contained electric and don’t have the leaky input shaft seals that compressors installed in ICE vehicles have. That’s not to say EV AC systems don’t need periodical re-gassing, but it’s not through lack of use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts