Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought 2016 e-tron. Please can someone tell me what the red led means on a/c switch.
Craig

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,421 Posts
I think it is your confusing question.

In MY15 Golf GTE, the system works on the principle that the LED only only lights up when a button/option/fan speed is selected. It is confusing because if I select "OFF" button (meaning the HVAC system is fully turned of), the LED above it will be ON.

Hope this helps for your etron...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Aircon led on=aircon on. Push push for on/of.
Auto led on = fan control automatic. Turn fan knob in centre to adjust fan speed manualy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
17 your count of messages you have posted. ;-)

Light on means Aircon on. However the Aircon, although On it does not Kick in until the outside temperature is higher than what it is set/inside.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On my 2015 model, pressing the Auto button when the Air Con LED is off will turn on the Air Con LED on as well as the Auto LED (if this was also not lit).

NB: In my opinion if the Air Con LED is on, then the air passes through the compressor (and is thus cooled and dried), regardless of the outside temperature, before being warmed if necessary and circulated in the car. As such it helps demist and keep the windows clear in cold weather.

What I can't work out is when/if the central two vents are used when the system is in Auto mode!

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your answers. I think led on is a/c on but with zero ish outside it wont activate the compressor. I could wait until summer then i should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Cnixon,

The on-line handbook contains the following:

A/C Switching air cooling on/off

The air cooling mode is switched on/off when the A/C button is pressed. When the air cooling is switched off, the air is neither cooled nor dehumidified. The windows may mist up as a result. The air cooling is switched off automatically at low outside temperatures.

I now recall the compressor on the Climate Control on my 1998 A4 didn't operate (I think) at the temperature when the snowflake was displayed (or lower) - typically you are left to guess the temperature with the A3 e-tron (just "low" being stated but not defined). Incidentally the Climate Control doesn't operate at all now on my 1998 A4 since the compressor broke and the dealer tried to rip me off another £800 after charging me £300 and just replacing the belt :(

The on-line handbook also contains the following:

AUTO Switching automatic mode on/off

The automatic mode is switched on when the AUTO button is pressed. The AUTO mode is switched off immediately when you operate any of the manual air controls. The automatic mode maintains a constant temperature inside the vehicle. Air temperature, output and distribution are regulated automatically. The "eco" mode*1) is activated if you press the AUTO button briefly while automatic mode is active. Fuel is saved in "eco" mode* because the settings respond more passively. The "eco" mode* is on when eco appears in the console display. The "eco" mode* is deactivated when you press the AUTO button again.
1) This function is not available on all export versions.

Must try playing with the buttons tomorrow and seeing if I have one of the export versions with the eco mode enabled...

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
66 Posts
On mine if you keep the Auto pressed, it set the passenger Temperature to same as Driver. And any changes to the Driver side, keeps both the same.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On mine if you keep the Auto pressed, it set the passenger Temperature to same as Driver. And any changes to the Driver side, keeps both the same.
Yes, that's covered in the handbook, thus:

Synchronisation: By pressing the AUTO button for 2 seconds, the temperature of the passenger's side can be set to the temperature of the driver's side. The settings remain synchronised until the temperature is changed on the passenger's side.

"Briefly" (in earlier quotes) must be less than 2 seconds :)

Here's another one to test:

If the engine is cold, the air conditioner will automatically switch to air recirculation mode when the vehicle is reversing.

Once you've sussed out what "cold" means...and then, how do you know it's switched so?

Cheers, Stefan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh-huh. You know, I faced the same problem as you when I didn't know how to repair it. Turns out that it was problem of the electricity (it was not enough). So I've decided to find a service that can do the work not expensive and quick as possible. So later, I've found a service Aircon Servicing, Cleaning & Repairing Singapore | SoCool Pte Ltd that have troubleshooted my problem pretty quick. You know, sometimes you should relly on people...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts