Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 5 year old GTE serviced. Air con required a 370g regas (total system charge of 500g) which the guy said was particularly high for a 5 year old car. Anyone else had any experiences?

P.S. You need to find a garage that can do hybrids as the oil in the compressor is different. A regular air con service offered by the likes of Kwik Fit etc is no good.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Had my 5 year old GTE serviced. Air con required a 370g regas (total system charge of 500g) which the guy said was particularly high for a 5 year old car. Anyone else had any experiences?

P.S. You need to find a garage that can do hybrids as the oil in the compressor is different. A regular air con service offered by the likes of Kwik Fit etc is no good.
Didn't know that about the oil, very useful bit of info, thanks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem as I understand it is in an ordinary car PAG oil as used for the AC system is mixed in with the refrigerant. Regular PAG is conductive. This is a problem for electric compressors which are saturated in the oil, as the conductive oil could cause an isolation fault (high voltage system will turn off or A/C system won't work.)

Hybrids with electric AC have been around for at least 20 years now (original Prius, for instance) so garages should be well set up to handle these vehicles but some are still using the older A/C regas units that can contaminate electric A/C systems with conductive oil.

The Mk7 GTE uses R134a so most garages have the gas and equipment for it, provided they have the hybrid air con gassing kit - I think it's Mk7.5 onwards that uses newer R1234yf refrigerant which does also require a garage with that kit around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts