Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if it's something I'm not doing correctly or whether there's a fault that requires professional attention. If it's the latter (almost certainly) I'd be greatly peeved because given it's a recent dealer ex demo purchase there therefore shouldn't be any problems with the car whatsoever. The fact is that despite obviously (a) setting the control at its lowest point, the resultant air isn't noticeably cool and (b), worse, switching to a/c certainly doesn't produce the expected 'dramatic' ice-cold surge you'd normally get by so doing... ie the temperature of the air through the vents remains exactly the same even though the higher noise that accompanies that action would suggest the contraption is working as it should - it's emphatically not. Before I blast the dealer I want to make sure it's the car that's at fault and not me...

.... Anyone else experiencing similar difficulties in this hot weather?

If, as I strongly suspect, there is indeed something wrong with the system I'm hoping any remedial work will be covered under the five year warranty that comes with this particular beast as I imagine it would otherwise be a very costly job.

·
Registered
615 Posts
No problems with ours yesterday which was a very hot day. Nice & ice cold which meant we turned it off again after a few minutes.

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
232 Posts
It doesn't sound right. But maybe you were in ECO mode, and/or at very low SOC, and the car decided to throttle down the A/C ?

I haven't noticed such behavior on my Corsa-e, but maybe this could influence the A/C.

On mine, even in hotter days (32° C and above) I find the A/C to work well, although it could take a while to cool up if the car sat in the sun for a while.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
I'm not sure if it's something I'm not doing correctly or whether there's a fault that requires professional attention. If it's the latter (almost certainly) I'd be greatly peeved because given it's a recent dealer ex demo purchase there therefore shouldn't be any problems with the car whatsoever. The fact is that despite obviously (a) setting the control at its lowest point, the resultant air isn't noticeably cool and (b), worse, switching to a/c certainly doesn't produce the expected 'dramatic' ice-cold surge you'd normally get by so doing... ie the temperature of the air through the vents remains exactly the same even though the higher noise that accompanies that action would suggest the contraption is working as it should - it's emphatically not. Before I blast the dealer I want to make sure it's the car that's at fault and not me...

.... Anyone else experiencing similar difficulties in this hot weather?

If, as I strongly suspect, there is indeed something wrong with the system I'm hoping any remedial work will be covered under the five year warranty that comes with this particular beast as I imagine it would otherwise be a very costly job.
You mentioned in other posts that you enjoy driving around in ECO mode as “it suits your style of driving”. No air conditioning in ECO mode. Spend that extra 0.0001p/mile and enjoy a cooler day in your expensive investment.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.
It doesn't sound right. But maybe you were in ECO mode, and/or at very low SOC, and the car decided to throttle down the A/C ?

I haven't noticed such behavior on my Corsa-e, but maybe this could influence the A/C.

On mine, even in hotter days (32° C and above) I find the A/C to work well, although it could take a while to cool up if the car sat in the sun for a while.
Thanks. No, you're right, something is amiss and needs fixing and, no, I wasn't in Eco mode, but Normal. As I said earlier, given this is an ex demo car I would have thought it to be in tiptop condition throughout. I can't sound off at the dealer as I made a 450 mile round trip to acquire this goodie-loaded example, earlier this month, so I'll give my local dealer a call in the hope it can be sorted under warranty. Exceedingly annoying in the described circumstances.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
If you want cool air and it’s hot outside then the fan will only bring in the outside air (which is hot)

Please can people leave their air con on as much as possible.

It’s air conditioning not air cooling (or even climate control)

Leave it on

Set it at 20degsC

Leave it on auto and let it do all the adjusting based on how it’s programmed.

Car owners need to get their heads out of the mind set of “full heat” when it’s cold and “full cold” when it’s hot.

That’s EXACTLY what auto does

And leave it on to keep all the seals lubricated by the refrigerant

If you have it off all the time then the seals dry up and the system leaks refrigerant and the system is knackered

You may save a few pence a week on evo only but you’ll end up paying thousands for the air con to be fixed

JJ

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
232 Posts
I guess I made myself bad luck :oops:
This morning A/C worked fine as usual, but on afternoon drive, it simply didn't cool.
It was around 30° C, but the car was parked in the shade.

I usually put A/C on 23-24 deg. but now I put it on the lowest, and only coolish (almost warm) air came out of the vents. I tried pressing the A/C button turning it off and then on again, but nothing helps.
Tried with/without AUTO mode, but still just coolish air.
I guess it's a visit to the dealers then... :cry:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I made myself bad luck :oops:
This morning A/C worked fine as usual, but on afternoon drive, it simply didn't cool.
It was around 30° C, but the car was parked in the shade.

I usually put A/C on 23-24 deg. but now I put it on the lowest, and only coolish (almost warm) air came out of the vents. I tried pressing the A/C button turning it off and then on again, but nothing helps.
Tried with/without AUTO mode, but still just coolish air.
I guess it's a visit to the dealers then... :cry:
How many miles have you done since the car was last serviced? I hope I don't insult your intelligence when I say - I read this a few years back in a motoring magazine - that, literally every week, whatever the weather, the a/c should be turned on for at least a quarter of an hour in order to keep it in good condition. Also, the other correspondent is quite correct in saying that the unit won't work at all in Eco mode. Fingers crossed for you that it's not going to be an expensive repair job but I suspect it might... Keep us posted.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
95 Posts
Sounds like a condenser fault or something similar. Had that fail on a bmw a while ago, fortunately you’re still under warranty? One of those things that can fail at any time, regardless of the drivetrain of the car…

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
232 Posts
How many miles have you done since the car was last serviced? I hope I don't insult your intelligence when I say - I read this a few years back in a motoring magazine - that, literally every week, whatever the weather, the a/c should be turned on for at least a quarter of an hour in order to keep it in good condition. Also, the other correspondent is quite correct in saying that the unit won't work at all in Eco mode. Fingers crossed for you that it's not going to be an expensive repair job but I suspect it might... Keep us posted.
I've done around 7000km (~4k miles), and the car is only half a year old, so I don't need servicing just yet.

I have used the A/C often lately, as temperatures have been well above 30° C lately during the day.
Usually setting between 23-24 ° would suffice even on these hot days.
As I mentioned, last morning it worked fine, and stopped working the same day.

I'll try to book a visit to the dealers, I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you.

It's terrible you appear to be confronted with an almost identical situation as myself. I don't know if you've read details outlining my own experience, posted on this forum yesterday morning, but my car's done 8.000 miles and I bought it, a Peugeot e208, as an ex demo last month, the vehicle serviced by the selling dealer in April. Suddenly, the aircon packed up and, to add to the nuisance, at the height of the hot spell the other week. I'm told (you too?) that the malfunction isn't covered by warranty... As mine is a 5-year one I was and remain incredulous that the problem wasnt covered under its provisions. If, like me with Peugeot, you get the runaround c/o Vauxhall (part of the same PSA group) and you deem that you're being treated unfairly then do what I did, viz email(ed) their MD and Group MD by name - Julie David and Alison Jones respectively - and protest(ed). In my case it was going to cost me £199.00 for repair this coming Friday. Following my representation to the maker's UK HQs, in the course of which I constructively and vigorously aired my reaction on TrustPilot naming the above individuals in the process, I ultimately received a reply from the manufacturer (they having conferred with the offending Northern selling dealer on my behalf, me being located down South) confirming that they agreed with my request for Peugeot to cover the cost. Result! Keep that report up your sleeve and use as an example in your own case if and when you feel justifiably compelled to do so. Air-conditioning shouldn't completely fail with cars this young. Personally I was steaming with fury at being faced with a huge bill for rectification. I saw 'red' and was having none of it. Mark you, my particular circumstances came on top of divers o t h e r less than acceptable aspects too so I was well and truly fired up by the time the a/c packed in as I'm sure you can imagine. The last sraw as it were. Echoing the late Sir Winston Churchill, I decided it was a cumulative situation "Up with which I will not put!"

It will be most interesting to see how y o u get on and I've noted that you're going to keep us alll posted. Fingers crossed that it all ends well for you and with alacrity.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
95 Posts
Anything air conditioning related should always be covered by the manufacturers warranty, even a used car one. I’ve never had any repair like that refused - especially when they can’t argue wear and tear. Even had a new turbo at £3,000 on the 330e last month with no quibbles. Well done for fighting it!

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
Thank you.

It's terrible you appear to be confronted with an almost identical situation as myself. I don't know if you've read details outlining my own experience, posted on this forum yesterday morning, but my car's done 8.000 miles and I bought it, a Peugeot e208, as an ex demo last month, the vehicle serviced by the selling dealer in April. Suddenly, the aircon packed up and, to add to the nuisance, at the height of the hot spell the other week. I'm told (you too?) that the malfunction isn't covered by warranty... As mine is a 5-year one I was and remain incredulous that the problem wasnt covered under its provisions. If, like me with Peugeot, you get the runaround c/o Vauxhall (part of the same PSA group) and you deem that you're being treated unfairly then do what I did, viz email(ed) their MD and Group MD by name - Julie David and Alison Jones respectively - and protest(ed). In my case it was going to cost me £199.00 for repair this coming Friday. Following my representation to the maker's UK HQs, in the course of which I constructively and vigorously aired my reaction on TrustPilot naming the above individuals in the process, I ultimately received a reply from the manufacturer (they having conferred with the offending Northern selling dealer on my behalf, me being located down South) confirming that they agreed with my request for Peugeot to cover the cost. Result! Keep that report up your sleeve and use as an example in your own case if and when you feel justifiably compelled to do so. Air-conditioning shouldn't completely fail with cars this young. Personally I was steaming with fury at being faced with a huge bill for rectification. I saw 'red' and was having none of it. Mark you, my particular circumstances came on top of divers o t h e r less than acceptable aspects too so I was well and truly fired up by the time the a/c packed in as I'm sure you can imagine. The last sraw as it were. Echoing the late Sir Winston Churchill, I decided it was a cumulative situation "Up with which I will not put!"

It will be most interesting to see how y o u get on and I've noted that you're going to keep us alll posted. Fingers crossed that it all ends well for you and with alacrity.
Obviously the northern dealer you purchased the car from was trying to con you as air conditioning is obviously a warrantied part of the car. Did you attempt to contact a local franchised dealer about the problem? Warranty repairs do not have to be performed by the dealer that sold you the car.

The same would apply if you’d purchased the car privately from an individual. The warranty is with the car owner and has to be honoured by any, in your case, Peugeot dealer.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
Just to add… I’ve noticed on this and other forums for PSA cars that many of those who have had A/C problems were also owners who insisted in driving around in ECO mode as much as possible.

Could this problem be related to lack of use of the A/C system which in turn leads to overstress when it is used in anger?

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
95 Posts
Air con and in particular climate control is designed to be used all the time, and air con can suffer from not enough use, from cracked vacuum pipes through to nasty bacteria in the system. Best swallow the extra pennies it costs to use it as designed…

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Air con and in particular climate control is designed to be used all the time, and air con can suffer from not enough use, from cracked vacuum pipes through to nasty bacteria in the system. Best swallow the extra pennies it costs to use it as designed…
This!!!!!!!

Leave it on auto and 20degC

If it’s cold the car will warm up
If it’s hot the car will cool down

Use the max ac button if you want a shot of cool air

I never understand why people don’t leave it on or crank up the heater or drop the temp down low to cool the car - makes no sense to me!

Do the same people get home on a cold day and crank their central heating up to 35 deg C thinking it will heat the house quicker?

Anyway - my only comment would be “what happens when you press max ac”??

JJ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts