Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the first opportunity of using the Air Con, Its nothing like the effectiveness of its ICE counterparts. Being an October 69 Reg. I wonder if any one has an effective way to assess the air conditioning operation before I question if there is a refrigerant gas issue.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Normally a calibrated thermometer will messure the Aircon effectiveness. Most multimeters have a thermocouple input which could be used to measure the airflow temperature.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
If the AC isn't used in any car for a long time you're likely to have seals dry out and allow the gas to leak out of the system. Unless you really need to get every bit of efficiency to maximise range I'd recommend making regular use of it, even with heating to prevent this from happening (It will actually help to dehumidify and keep the windows clear on cold wet days too)

Without the use of Eco mode, I've found the LEAF to be very effective at both heating and cooling the cabin. Definitely better at cooling that my old Mercedes ICE ever was.

If you're finding the cooling performance to be especially bad, I'd be inclined to say its likely something wrong with the AC system rather than it just not being up to the competition. Of course, if you have a suitable thermometer then check the temperature of the air coming out the vents first if possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi.
Yes, I was wondering whether the was a basic check, ie Fan on 50%, manual air-Cond only, using two thermometers should be able to achieve a temperature drop of cir 15 deg C between inlet and outlet when on ready to drive.

Incidentally I don't use Eco mode, but even-so cannot find anything in the extensive manual to indicate ECO mode will have any impact on the Heating or Air Conditioning (unlike the Golf).

I guess I'll wait until the ambient air temperatures rise to such an extent Air Conditioning will be an absolute must... possibly a Wednesday in June..!, and even then we'll all be still be on lock down :)

J

·
Registered
101 Posts
FWIW aircon seems to be a weak point on Nissans.
Both my Leaf and Juke both needed regassing and new compressors under warranty.
It was excessively long demisting times that alerted me on both, aircon should have the windscreen demisting immediately.
So you don't have to wait for hot days to tell if it's working, there are other indicators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts