Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,,
The convenience of destination charging - get there, plug in, get on with your life - really cannot be overstated and is so much less hassle than having to drive to a petrol station, queue for fuel, stand over your vehicle whilst refuelling (generally with the added bonus of petrol or diesel all over your hands and shoes) and then queue, again, to pay. As such it will, in my opinion, become the norm for all but long journeys (especially as range per charge increases) as the number of EVs increase.
https://showbox.bio/ https://tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/
It seems to me, therefore, that there is a great opportunity for private individuals to rent out charging points in much the same way as they rent out parking spaces on eg justpark or beds on airbnb.

Justpark and their ilk have identified a need for multiple hour parking in convenient locations and become very successful as a result; why not extend that to offering spaces that include charging? There would probably be a need to regulate the amount of charge that can be taken per booking but I would not have thought that should be too hard (and you wouldn't need an app to do it!). Furthermore you wouldn't even need to have an EV to enter the scheme, all you would need to do is to install a charging point.

I know that Plugshare (and probably others) list residential chargers but they are much more by way of reciprocating favours rather than earning a few bucks from an idle asset.

If destination chargers were to proliferate in this way it would take the strain off public charging points and, to some extent, off MSA fast chargers and be an all-round 'good thing' - no????

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, I think it would be a good idea to share home charging points. I've looked for a service doing this, but pricing is the issue. We can't resell electricity above the price paid here in the UK. Personally, I think this is a problem and I'd like to see an app and users break the law so a test case can determine the validity of the regulation when it comes to sharing EV hardware.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a friend who is doing exactly this in London. She has a petrol car that she drives to work, but she has installed a home charging point and rents out the driveway space with charging for EV commuters. She uses a service like Airbnb for the rentals, and it sounds like it's worth the hassle financially.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, I think it would be a good idea to share home charging points. I've looked for a service doing this, but pricing is the issue. We can't resell electricity above the price paid here in the UK. Personally, I think this is a problem and I'd like to see an app and users break the law so a test case can determine the validity of the regulation when it comes to sharing EV hardware.
IMO selling electricity on a private driveway is just ridiculous. Just rent the parking space with free charging.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's all very well if you live somewhere where your driveway is worth renting!

You can park here all day for £2 (or free, there is always onstreet parking available). If you pay for 1 hour and use a local shop, you get it refunded. There is no market for renting a drive. There may be a market for charging an ev as there are no public charging points within 8 miles of us.

So really people would only be paying me to charge their car. That has to be based on charge taken. Even if I rent by the hour, the maths is 'how much charge will that be, at what cost to me?' In effect, I am reselling my electricity, which I should be allowed to do.

If charging units were really 'smart' you could plug-in, choose the time or charge you want, tap your contactless card and walk away. Then get a text 5 minutes before your time/ charge is complete.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pretty much all cars will charge at 7 kW, so you base it that I’d suggest.
Just rent the space for £2 an hour, ev drivers only.
I think I'm missing something here. Is there a website or app that lets me rent my drive by the hour and will control my charging unit so that the ev driver can set the duration of charge and the unit will switch on/ off at the right time?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not quite, because Zap-Home doesn't have any control over the booking/ use of my charge point. I'm left to negotiate a deal with the driver, then police the use of my charge point and for what, maybe £2-3 profit? I doubt my insurance would cover damage, either.

Is there anybody on here who has their charging unit on Zap-Home or uses Zap-Home who can explain how it covers these issues?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,781 Posts
Not quite, because Zap-Home doesn't have any control over the booking/ use of my charge point. I'm left to negotiate a deal with the driver, then police the use of my charge point and for what, maybe £2-3 profit? I doubt my insurance would cover damage, either.

Is there anybody on here who has their charging unit on Zap-Home or uses Zap-Home who can explain how it covers these issues?
How do you police use of your parking space. Do you have an automatic barrier or ANPR cameras?

·
Registered
118 Posts
No. Like 90% of homes, I should think, anybody can drive on to my land. But, as far as I know, my charging unit is linked to my car through the VIN, which I had to put in to the Juicenet app when setting up. I can add guests, but unless it was somebody coming on a regular basis, it wouldn't be worth the trouble for a couple of quid. I haven't checked, but I might be able to set a TOU charge for a third party but again, not worth the hassle.

Zap-Map list 16 'major' and 22 'minor' public charging networks. Along with 4 plug types and 6 or maybe 7 charging speeds, something has to change.

Sharing infrastructure is very important, both in financial and environmental terms, and it needs to be easy to do so using existing methods. IMO!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
maybe £2-3 profit?
I don't think it's something you could do for profit per se - just the feelgood of helping others.
If you can find a regular (works nearby perhaps) and come to a mutually beneficial agreement then that would be fine. But I'd not like having anyone turn up - EVers are a bit of a friendly club at present, but in the near future there will be the usual selection of human dross joining.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Article from 2018 describing just such an arrangement. I seem to recall a more recent announcement saying that driveways with ev charging were attracting a premium.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Article from 2018 describing just such an arrangement. I seem to recall a more recent announcement saying that driveways with ev charging were attracting a premium.
It describes it, but have you actually found the function on the Zap-Map app?

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try it and let me know what you think. It's not what I think of when I hear Airbnb for ev charging (I'm an ABB host). When it comes to ev charging, it lacks most of the advantages that ABB offer and that make it so successful.

The first property I looked at had a line in the description that said ev charging was extra (£3/ hour), so there's a whole new level of complication for the host and me.

The second offered ev charging but it was clear from the photo that the space didn't have a charging point!

This idea is way off being delivered by any of the apps out there that I've seen. The original poster has a good idea, but implementation is missing at the moment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts