Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So our new car is due to be delivered Thursday... before the family use it I want to make sure there are no nasties in the car, I have bought a antiviral/antibacterial fogger as shown in the image.

Could anyone tell me the quickest way to get in and out the car to set off the ac, I dont want to sit and faff on trying to figure out what I'm doing (I want to be in and out). Is it as simple as push the start button, turn fan to full and press air con or do you need to wait for the car to go through a loading process and play with settings?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
make sure you know how to access physical emergency key, turn the car on with the window down, get out, chuck in the defogger and lean in and lock the car and wind up the window leaving the car on.
leave the car to sterilise and then come back later and unlock it with the physical key.

·
Journeyman Human
516 Posts
Sounds slightly more complicated than I had hoped lol
You'll have to set to recirculate as well or it will defeat the point of the excersise...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Leave it on the drive for three days and don't drive it...? Would save a lot of bother...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll have to set to recirculate as well or it will defeat the point of the excersise...
Yeah, that's kind of what I was hoping someone xould explain... the process of getting the air con etc going, I want to be able to open the door, set the air con off (with recirculation), set off fogger and get out, I dont want to sit in the car trying to figure it out when it arrives. I had a virtual viewing so have never been in the car, I know from videos where everything is but its just the process of getting it going and keeping it running.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Not sure I would do that to a new car... An alternative would be to not drive it for 3 days, the virus doesn't survive long in a car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Leave it on the drive for three days and don't drive it...? Would save a lot of bother...
Considered that also but to be honest I'd still feel iffy and would really like to get in it by Sat lol. Its only 6 quid and setting off air con, not a lot for the peace of mind, in my view but yeah maybe slightly obsessive ha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure I would do that to a new car... An alternative would be to not drive it for 3 days, the virus doesn't survive long in a car.
What would be your concerns of doing it in a new car?

I have read studies of it surviving on plastic after 5 days and it also being picked up in air con units

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
484 Posts
Park it in bright sunlight (you’ll be lucky at this time of year) leave all the windows open for a few hours and then drive with windows open. Sanitise your hands after driving. Fresh air and sunshine are a good protection, hence lack of COVID last summer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Park it in bright sunlight (you’ll be lucky at this time of year) leave all the windows open for a few hours and then drive with windows open. Sanitise your hands after driving. Fresh air and sunshine are a good protection, hence lack of COVID last summer.
Ah yeah I get there are other ways to do it but I already have the fogger now, its easy and quick (its no trouble, I've used them pre covid to clean the ac system) I just wanted to know the process of setting the ac off, if there was a start up loading process the car had to go through in the ZS before you could activate ac, so that I didnt need to sit in the car while I tried to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
You want to do... what?

You’re more likely to die driving it home than from checks notes someone with ‘rona driving your car and leaving a high enough viral load to make you sick...

Put your postcode in here - then tell me odds of one of these what, 40 people being a guy who works at your MG dealer and who spent long enough in the car (licking it?) to leave something behind...

My god, there really is a secondary pandemic of paranoia out there 😅

Reactions: JohnMars and Neilew

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You want to do... what?

You’re more likely to die driving it home than from checks notes someone with ‘rona driving your car and leaving a high enough viral load to make you sick...
Thanks for your thoughts, though... I don’t get why people seem surprised or shocked by a ac cleansing fogger, I've used them a few times (pre Covid), they are sold in every car parts shop, online in the likes of Euro parts they are obviously used on a large scale by many people or they wouldn't continue to stock them.

I get that it's a new car so in normal times I of course wouldn't feel the need but its 6 quid (£1.99 if you want the cheap Euro Car Parts version) for a bit peace of mind before putting my family in a car that has had strangers in it. In any event that is what I will be doing, others may not feel it is warranted but I paid the 6 quid, its sat in the kitchen and on Thursday/Friday it will be going in the car.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
These do have a purpose for avoiding “sick air con” in used cars. All kind of odours and bacteria in those systems if they haven’t been serviced - Legionnaire’s is something best avoided any day of the week!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These do have a purpose for avoiding “sick air con” in used cars. All kind of odours and bacteria in those systems if they haven’t been serviced - Legionnaire’s is something best avoided any day of the week!
Yeah, it will be an addition one time compared to when I would usually use one so maybe 2 times in total during the 3 years I plan on owning the car. I personally dont think its a big deal or even worth the discussion, its just something I plan on doing. I wasn't really wanting a debate on the merits just a bit advice on the cars start up and ac management, I'll just open the doors for 20 minutes then find out for myself.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
What nasties do you think will be present after 3 months at sea? Just get in the car and drive, far less risk driving your new car then going down your local Sainsburys for the food shop.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What nasties do you think will be present after 3 months at sea? Just get in the car and drive, far less risk driving your new car then going down your local Sainsburys for the food shop.
It is going to the dealers where the protection pack is being put in, it is then being delivered to me... so between whatever it takes getting a new car to dealer, them storing it, the fitting of the protection pack and then delivery to me, there is plenty of opportunity. I've already covered this numerous times, I am not asking for advice or opinions of the sterilisation (I will doing it, anyones thoughts on that matter are moot) I was simply looking for advice on the cars start up and ac management.

I dont wish to come across as a prick and I get this is an open forum so by posting I am inviting comments but I don't understand why me using a fogger in a car would lead people to take the time to be judgmental, sarcastic or opinionated on a subject that has nothing to do with the questions asked.

I will deal with the current health situation the way I see fit and others are free to do likewise. On the Sainsburys comment, our family has people in the extremely vulnerable group so we have been fortunate enough to aviod attending any stores during the crisis for food since the beginning but again that has nothing to do with my post.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The dealer does this to all new cars and also to all cars used as a courtesy car/test car, so why do you need to do it again?

Reactions: Sandy and Bombuzal

·
Journeyman Human
516 Posts
The dealer does this to all new cars and also to all cars used as a courtesy car/test car, so why do you need to do it again?
Pretty sure all dealers do not do this to all new cars Mike! Why do you think this?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts