Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having fitted a replacement motor in this car, I then discovered that the fans in the battery charger were dead, and the charger in a poor state (bulging capacitors etc.). I picked up a new, similarly rated charger in a job lot of stuff from an abandoned EV conversion last year:

I hooked this up to the batteries at the same terminals I disconnected the Aixam charger from and plugged it in. The voltage across the batteries shot up from 50.2V to 66V and kept going up slowly from there. My understanding (which may well be wrong) is that a 48V charger should operate between 52-58V, and that 66V+ is far too high. Also, the green light on the charger was blinking, indicating either 'post-charging' or 'anomaly'. I don't know which because I don't know whether I was seeing the fast or slow flash (it flashed about once a second)!

Am I right in thinking this charge rate is too high, and if so what can I do about it? Cheers for any help, I'm about at the end of my tether with this car.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Us Aixam owners are a small bunch! I have a truck and two cars all electric of course maybe we should all swop details to form a self help group?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're an even smaller bunch now - I've got rid of mine! It was one disaster after another; an absolute pile of junk.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am
Sounds good. I've just picked up a MEGA Van EV requiring new batteries. Planning on building a lithium-ion pack for it.
I am building a pack for my car, I got Lithium polymers, when finished it will be 17.5 KWH just putting the third block together now with battery balancing boards. No idea of the range but hoping for 120 miles per charge with luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts