Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing false car alarms?! I only got my car yesterday and its gone off twice today, once when I was parked at the newsagents and about ten minutes ago when on my drive at home. Both times it was locked and no windows opened. I had sent a preconditioning signal about 5 minutes before it went off on my drive, which seemed to be working, then I got a push notification to say preconditioning was finishing in 5 minutes and immediately the alarm went off! Doesn't inspire confidence!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any moths or other flying insects in the car? I had problems with a moth late summer setting off the alarm three times, annoying the neighbours... ended up having to take the car for a spin down the road with all the windows open to try to get rid of it!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any moths or other flying insects in the car? I had problems with a moth late summer setting off the alarm three times, annoying the neighbours... ended up having to take the car for a spin down the road with all the windows open to try to get rid of it!
Thanks for the suggestion but no! I did try the preconditioning again and it didn't go off this time (although I do appear to have the ubiquitous cold 'heating' issue though 😬). Been for a drive and its now parked back ip on the drive. Will just keep an eye on it!

·
Registered
RWD EV6 GT-Line S
3 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing false car alarms?! I only got my car yesterday and its gone off twice today, once when I was parked at the newsagents and about ten minutes ago when on my drive at home. Both times it was locked and no windows opened. I had sent a preconditioning signal about 5 minutes before it went off on my drive, which seemed to be working, then I got a push notification to say preconditioning was finishing in 5 minutes and immediately the alarm went off! Doesn't inspire confidence!
You should have a chat to your dealer about it. I was made aware of a similar problem with another EV6 which had been purchased from my deaIer. The dealer applied a fix which I believe was software. The fix was also applied to my car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should have a chat to your dealer about it. I was made aware of a similar problem with another EV6 which had been purchased from my deaIer. The dealer applied a fix which I believe was software. The fix was also applied to my car.
Thanks for that. I've got it booked in already for next week - for the 'heating' issue and a loose charging port panel in the boot. I will definitely mention the alarm issue as well as you suggest, especially as you are aware of a similar situation..

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line S AWD Matt Pearl White
17 Posts
In my case in 7 days of ownership the alarm has gone off twice and app has informed me a further 4 times it was going off when it wasn't - on one occasion I was sitting at the kitchen window eating my breakfast when the app said the alarm had been activated as I was looking at the (completely un-alarming) rear of my car! Call to the dealer due (been waiting to see if I need to create a list before calling). I used to have a number plate on my TVR Cerbera that had printed along the bottom 'This car is alarmed .... and the passengers are terrified!' Might be appropriately added to this car at the moment. At least with the TVR's we owners all expected some element of 'glitches/bits falling off/part swaps/etc'

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case in 7 days of ownership the alarm has gone off twice and app has informed me a further 4 times it was going off when it wasn't - on one occasion I was sitting at the kitchen window eating my breakfast when the app said the alarm had been activated as I was looking at the (completely un-alarming) rear of my car! Call to the dealer due (been waiting to see if I need to create a list before calling). I used to have a number plate on my TVR Cerbera that had printed along the bottom 'This car is alarmed .... and the passengers are terrified!' Might be appropriately added to this car at the moment. At least with the TVR's we owners all expected some element of 'glitches/bits falling off/part swaps/etc'
I took mine into the dealer yesterday, they couldn't find anything wrong but said various owners have reported the spurious alarms and that Kia are looking into it..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also having the alarm problem. The app reports that it has gone off 13 times in the week I have had the car.

There seems to be a pattern that it usually goes off about five minutes after I have finished driving the car, and locked it. It does not seem as likely to go off if I have just unlocked the car to access it, and relocked it without driving it. An unfortunate exception was one 0530 alarm. Is anyone else with the problem seeing a pattern?

The car was back with the dealer yesterday to get various things fixed, and they said they were waiting for a fix from Kia for the alarm problem, so could do nothing about it. Rather appropriately the alarm went off as I was passing the keys over to the service desk, and again just before I drove away with it at the end of the day.

I reminded them what very prominent bad publicity for Kia this was among my neighbours, and anyone else within earshot when it is parked away from home.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am also having the alarm problem. The app reports that it has gone off 13 times in the week I have had the car.

There seems to be a pattern that it usually goes off about five minutes after I have finished driving the car, and locked it. It does not seem as likely to go off if I have just unlocked the car to access it, and relocked it without driving it. An unfortunate exception was one 0530 alarm. Is anyone else with the problem seeing a pattern?

The car was back with the dealer yesterday to get various things fixed, and they said they were waiting for a fix from Kia for the alarm problem, so could do nothing about it. Rather appropriately the alarm went off as I was passing the keys over to the service desk, and again just before I drove away with it at the end of the day.

I reminded them what very prominent bad publicity for Kia this was among my neighbours, and anyone else within earshot when it is parked away from home.
Yes I find it will randomly go off at two particular situations, when preconditioning is about to finish (I get a push notification that its about to finish, immediately followed by an alarm notification). I go outside and its going off. The other occasion is when I've been driving. I park and lock the car and within a couple of minutes it's gone off! It's happened about 8 times now, so not that many times compared to how many times I've preconditioned it, and parked it. It's happened enough times to be extremely annoying though!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I find it will randomly go off at two particular situations, when preconditioning is about to finish (I get a push notification that its about to finish, immediately followed by an alarm notification). I go outside and its going off. The other occasion is when I've been driving. I park and lock the car and within a couple of minutes it's gone off! It's happened about 8 times now, so not that many times compared to how many times I've preconditioned it, and parked it. It's happened enough times to be extremely annoying though!
Having said that, it went off at 3a.m. on my drive this morning!! It hadn't been driven or opened since 1p.m. yesterday, so maybe ignore the above!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car's back at the dealership for a couple of days while they look at the alarm issue, android auto n/w and the preheat/heating issues.

Just had a call from them about the alarm. They are waiting on a fix from Kia but in the meantime have disconnected the two ultrasonic sensors in the cabin. This at least means I won't have to disable them in settings every time I park!!

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS RWD
525 Posts
My car's back at the dealership for a couple of days while they look at the alarm issue, android auto n/w and the preheat/heating issues.

Just had a call from them about the alarm. They are waiting on a fix from Kia but in the meantime have disconnected the two ultrasonic sensors in the cabin. This at least means I won't have to disable them in settings every time I park!!
Mine's going in Thursday just for dealer to look at alarm - if no fix by then, I'll suggest the same to my dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I wonder what insurance companies will say if the car gets stolen with part of the alarm disabled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am finding that the proportion of times that the alarm goes off on one of the trigger events is changing:

- about five minutes after locking: initially every time, but now only about 20% of the time;

- about 60 seconds after end of charging: initially rare, now every time (so no off-peak rate charging for me);

- on pre-heating, at 'five minutes to go' alert: every time.

Is anyone else seeing changes in the pattern of false alarms they are suffering?

I find that turning off the interior movement detection part of the alarm system and/or the rear occupant alert system does not prevent false alarms. Has switching these off suspended the problem for anyone else?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am finding that the proportion of times that the alarm goes off on one of the trigger events is changing:

- about five minutes after locking: initially every time, but now only about 20% of the time;

- about 60 seconds after end of charging: initially rare, now every time (so no off-peak rate charging for me);

- on pre-heating, at 'five minutes to go' alert: every time.

Is anyone else seeing changes in the pattern of false alarms they are suffering?

I find that turning off the interior movement detection part of the alarm system and/or the rear occupant alert system does not prevent false alarms. Has switching these off suspended the problem for anyone else?
As mentioned earlier my car is at the dealers overnight while they look at the alarm and other issues, and one of the first thing they did was to disable the ultrasonic sensors in the cabin, pending a fix from Kia. However I've just had a push notification on the app saying the alarm has been triggered! I'm obviously hoping this is yet another false alarm, as the car is parked outside on the forecourt, as they want to try the preconditioning after a frosty night! The alarm has generally gone off at random sometimes within a few minutes of parking, and more often, although not every time - at the same time as I receive a push notification that climate preconditioning is about to finish. Its difficult to say if there has been a change of pattern as I've been trying to remember to disable the advanced alarm (sensors) via the settings. Tonight's notification is the first I've received with the sensors disabled (although of course they are now physically disabled!) I've now got to wait until the morning to check my car is okay!! (although it appears to be locked and in the same location on the app)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just to add to this topic.

I collected my car on the 7th January 2022, alarm would go off every time I parked, at the shops, at home...not during the night weirdly. I did then try and figure it out with the Kia dealer, had updates etc done, still the same. Then! I remembered something, all my new cars have done this, Audi, BMW and no the Kia EV6! I took a moisture meter in the car, nearly 90%!!! I presume the alarms are going off with moisture or humidity in the car, I took advantage of the cars inside 3pin UK plug and ran my dehumidifier for an hour with the heating on, the car is now not setting off my alarm all the time. So does this mean the car new is likely damp inside and requires drying as all my other new cars did? Anyway, just a thought. Car is now 30% moisture inside, and it is dry today and summy (for a change) but still cold.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had my car for almost a week, alarm hadn’t gone off at all until today…
Parked in a car park, and as I walked away a car pulled in to the next space. Then very shortly afterwards my alarm goes off. So I wonder if door slamming or something from the other car set it off.
Not best pleased, will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just to update, my car is going in for several things, including fitting a new UIP sensor, which I'm assured will resolve the alarm going off issue 🤞
Edit: I meant to add, since the ultra sonic sensors were disconnected I have still had loads of 'alarm triggered' app notifications when the car is parked. I assumed these were an app problem but having just parked at an office car park someone just came up to me 5 minutes later to say my alarm was going off, and at that same moment I got a push notification on my phone! So maybe there is more to this than just sensors...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you tried drying out the car?. heating on full, fans on full go for a drive with windows down slightly. Test a small check dehumidifier see if it collects anything. I ran an AC dehumidifier in mine for an hour and my alarm issues have vanished along with heating on at 27C fans up to full and windows slightly down. Some Poundland shops sell the cheap dehumidifier things, I used in a new Audi in 2019 with the same issue, the alarm going off for the first few weeks. Worth a try man!.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts