Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've had my ZS EV a day now and it's just done an odd thing. I set the granny charger to come on overnight (via a timer plug) but when it turned on at 00:30am it set the alarm off - horn blaring! (it also started charging :)). I had to jump out of bed, find the key and press the "lock" button to stop the alarm (probably not before it woke all my neighbours!)

Is this normal behaviour, or am I doing something wrong?? I really want to make sure it doesn't do this again...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hopefully that's just a one-off glitch. I've not heard anybody mention it before, either here or on the two Facebook groups

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Hi all, I've had my ZS EV a day now and it's just done an odd thing. I set the granny charger to come on overnight (via a timer plug) but when it turned on at 00:30am it set the alarm off - horn blaring! (it also started charging :)). I had to jump out of bed, find the key and press the "lock" button to stop the alarm (probably not before it woke all my neighbours!)

Is this normal behaviour, or am I doing something wrong?? I really want to make sure it doesn't do this again...
Strange ?.
You could try repeating the same process in day time hours to see if does the same thing again !.
If it is okay and the horn does sound, and it commenced charging okay, you could try this.
Your “Off Peak” will usually commence at 12.30am ( check with your energy supplier ) try, setting your delayed charge to commence about 15 mins after this switch over point.
Having the switch over time at the very same time as commencing the charge MAY just catch the car out and cause the alarm to be sounded.
It’s a long shot but worth a try ?.
If you press the unlock button on the fob, when the car is already locked, it will sound the horn in a pulsing fashion.
I think it’s the “find my car feature” I think.
Is this what has been triggered in error on your car, maybe ?.
Give it a try and please report back on your findings.
Other members have either used a timer between the “Granny” and the three pin 13 Amp plug and received no issues I think.
Also, owners with the older type “Dumb” Rolec wall boxes who have installed internal timers have also not reported problems.
I am making the assumption that your car has had the delayed charging update done prior to delivery of course ?.
My dealer has confirmed that my car was updated prior to delivery on the 6th of Jan.
But I am still waiting for my timer to be installed before I can return to “Off Peak” charging once again !.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all, thanks a lot for your replies so far. Update - we've noticed today that when we park the car, lock it then walk away; about a minute later the alarm sounds and needs to be cancelled with the "lock" button on the keyfob (often, but not always). I'm thinking we have an alarm fault so will be calling the dealer tomorrow.
In the meantime I'll try moving the charge start time back 20 mins, to separate the charge start from cut-over to night-time tarrif (as we have a few storaage heaters which come on at that moment) - that's a good idea; thanks to Carty for suggesting it.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Hi all, thanks a lot for your replies so far. Update - we've noticed today that when we park the car, lock it then walk away; about a minute later the alarm sounds and needs to be cancelled with the "lock" button on the keyfob (often, but not always). I'm thinking we have an alarm fault so will be calling the dealer tomorrow.
In the meantime I'll try moving the charge start time back 20 mins, to separate the charge start from cut-over to night-time tarrif (as we have a few storaage heaters which come on at that moment) - that's a good idea; thanks to Carty for suggesting it.
Can I please suggest moving the timed function of the car forward and not backwards ?.
Let the Eco 7 rate at the meter commence first, then allow the heaters to kick in.
Now, after short gap of about 15 mins, let the time clock of the “Granny” kick in !.
Allow every thing to be at a steady state, then let car charging to commence.
If you start the car first, then introduce the “Off Peak” and heaters at the same time, this might just trigger some thing in the car !.
It’s a process of elimination.
If you have a false alarm state with the car, regardless of the charging condition, then this needs sorting first.
I don’t believe the ZS EV has any interior passive movement sensors in the cabin, I think it is only triggered by opening a door / boot or hood.
If the car had sensors in the car, then it could trigger an alarm if a window was slightly open for example.
It could detect the air movement inside the car.
I assume here that your bonnet / boot are fully closed at this point of course ?.
The car appears to be detecting a breach of the cabin or a drop in voltage for some reason ?.
You don’t have anything running in the car by any chance ?.
A dash cam for instance.
Did you try charging for a short spell in day light hour today, if so, what was the outcome ?.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again, yes, I meant timing the car to start after economy 7 and the storage heaters have all started up. We did go round and check all doors, tailgate and bonnet this afternoon, just in case something was slightly ajar. Didn't find anything specific, so will see what happens again overnight tonight.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Hi again, yes, I meant timing the car to start after economy 7 and the storage heaters have all started up. We did go round and check all doors, tailgate and bonnet this afternoon, just in case something was slightly ajar. Didn't find anything specific, so will see what happens again overnight tonight.
Good Luck - Keep us informed !.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - car charged fine last night with no alarm issues. I re-closed the rear doors, bonnet etc. yesterday afternoon and moved the charge start time back 2 minutes, to allow the meter switch-over to settle first. Either of these may be a factor. will be monitoring over the next few days.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Update - car charged fine last night with no alarm issues. I re-closed the rear doors, bonnet etc. yesterday afternoon and moved the charge start time back 2 minutes, to allow the meter switch-over to settle first. Either of these may be a factor. will be monitoring over the next few days.
Please keep us posted !.
Good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke to the MG trained engineer at the dealer today. They've not seen any alarm related issues in the ZS EVs to date. He thinks the door closing thing may be the fix. He also told me that the cars have the ability to "call home" in the event of accident, so he thinks they may have the hardware necessary to support a smartphone app. He's going to ask on our behalf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts