Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just found out today that every new Aldi store from 2020 will have a fast charge point for customers. I鈥檓 assuming the numbers will depend on how busy the store is, size of car park etc. To be honest I鈥檓 not really bothered about quantities so long as I can charge whilst I鈥檓 at work 馃憤馃槒

Registered
I know one store that already has a 7kW fast charger. It's near a Macdonalds that has two fast chargers :) I'm not sure if they are on a network, so no idea if they can control hogging - actually some of the stores do have ANPR, with 90 minute limit.

Registered
All of the Aldi stores around me already have 7kW Pod Points. Some are still RFID access but every one I have tried worked fine for me.

I'm not sure I see how much use they really are though. Especially in a small shop like Aldi you're in and out in a rather short period of time. Not even a cafe or anything on site to help pass a little more time if you were willing to wait to take on a little more charge.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
All of the Aldi stores around me already have 7kW Pod Points. Some are still RFID access but every one I have tried worked fine for me.

I'm not sure I see how much use they really are though. Especially in a small shop like Aldi you're in and out in a rather short period of time. Not even a cafe or anything on site to help pass a little more time if you were willing to wait to take on a little more charge.
Really?
The announcement must have been in regards to the particular regoon I work on then. Bolton region.

Registered
. To be honest I鈥檓 not really bothered about quantities so long as I can charge whilst I鈥檓 at work 馃憤馃槒
I hesitate to ask: as a customer or employee? I already know of one supermarket where the Store Manager treats one of the 7kW posts as his own. The car park attendant told me that it has become the Manager's personal parking space.

Registered
Morrisons have been rolling out rapid chargers, and I've seen people on PlugShare, Zap-Map etc complain that they "should install several 7kW chargers instead", completely disregarding the behaviour of people shopping at a supermarket. You're going to be there for 30 minutes, maybe an hour if they have a cafe.

I'd much rather get a proper topup on a charger where people are getting their shopping and going, than dealing with people that use 7kW chargers as their personal charge point from home - which is what happens with the local council fast chargers.

Registered
There's an Aldi under construction in Whitchurch Shropshire right now, apparently due to open next April.
Planning application shows a single Chargemaster dual 7kW post with 2 marked spaces in a corner of the carpark.

@Rob Lazenby - Chances are your branch will have the same charging post.

Registered
There's an Aldi under construction in Whitchurch Shropshire right now, apparently due to open next April.
Planning application shows a single Chargemaster dual 7kW post with 2 marked spaces in a corner of the carpark.

@Rob Lazenby - Chances are your branch will have the same charging post.
Wow - that will triple the number of 7kW charging points in Whitchurch: progress. Seriously, the new Aldi is situated adjacent to the A41 (Whitchurch Bypass). An ideal spot for a couple of Rapids I would have thought.

Registered
Wow - that will triple the number of 7kW charging points in Whitchurch: progress. Seriously, the new Aldi is situated adjacent to the A41 (Whitchurch Bypass). An ideal spot for a couple of Rapids I would have thought.
Maybe someone else is eyeing up the services for a rapid or two?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts