9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I had a close look at several of these last year, they were on display in several shopping malls. Interestingly some are even built to EU regs. Quality ???.

·
Registered
549 Posts
We used to laugh at Skodas and Nissans and Fiats .... that was before our domestic car manufacturing industry came up with rusting classics like the Metro ... there is a website somewhere where you can check how many cars of any make are still registered, and I suspect that my (late departed) 1990's Rover 2000 is not in the longevity stakes..

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
We used to laugh at Skodas and Nissans and Fiats .... that was before our domestic car manufacturing industry came up with rusting classics like the Metro ... there is a website somewhere where you can check how many cars of any make are still registered, and I suspect that my (late departed) 1990's Rover 2000 is not in the longevity stakes..
Interesting that how many left.

12. If you're looking at my much loved and dearly departed uno turbo. Total heap but at 20 years old (me) and pimpled (not me, duff paint) I loved it.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ROVER 2000 - How Many Left?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I have been watching Alibaba for just over a year, it has been interesting to see how many new entries have appeared. Many are very basic as yet, but so was the g-wiz when it appeared, and aimed at a rapidly growing internal market. It will be interesting to revisit in five years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the fortune of working in the EV industry with frequent visits to OEMs in China.

Whilst the current generation of EVs is laughable by Western standards, I've seen what's coming.

They're being made to meet western standards and they're cheap as chips (relatively), so the second they're type approved in the West were going to see an incredible shake up I can assure you.

Fortunately, we're a tiny market compared to their domestic one so there's probably not going to be a lot of motivation for them to do so just yet - or so our manufacturers had better hope!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would regard 'frequent trips to China' as a pain in the ass, but clearly some of us like long distance flights more than others. I tend to agree with your main thesis: that the domestic market is their primary goal, but once the Chinese start to take EVs seriously then they will probably steal the world market by coming up with an affordable family EV that looks good and does the business.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
After seeing the "quality" product that is a Great Wall pick-up that was showing corrosion on the chassis while sat on the show stand i think i will give a super cheap chinese EVs a body swerve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts