Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Bout a type 1 to type 2 EV charge cable from the MiDA EVSE store on AliExpress.
£74. A bargain in the January sale, or so I thought.
Item arrived 2 weeks later, but only 80cm, not the 135cm that I had ordered.
I challenged Michael at the mida evse store about the short cable and his answer was that the spec had been changed and they had forgotten to change it on AliExpress even though the same cable is still advertised on AliExpress at 135cm and 99 available.
I explained to Michael that the reason I ordered 135cm cable was because I need 135cm cable to reach the awkward public charge point that is nearest my house and the 80cm cable he sent me was no good because it would mean I would have to stretch it over the bonnet of the car and I did not want to scratch my car hence the reason I ordered the 135cm cable.
After being offered a $20 refund from Michael which I refused I then tried AliExpress under their buyer protection scheme.
AliExpress offered a £29 refund or for a full refund I would have to send the cable that was sent out deliberately as a smaller cable back to the MiDAS to learn in China at a cost of £103 through DPD.
Needless to say that was a non-starter as it was more than the cable cost and so was not going to happen, so even though no fault of my own I was landed with a cable which was too short to use.
the refund policy of punishing the buyer not the supplier meant I would have to pay for their mistake in order to get a full refund.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Which is why eBay and Amazon do so well, they are buyer-centric not seller-centric.

Generally you pay more and the seller pays more fees, but you are well protected, in general.

(As an online seller of 5 yrs on both UK platforms).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Which is why eBay and Amazon do so well, they are buyer-centric not seller-centric.

Generally you pay more and the seller pays more fees, but you are well protected, in general.

(As an online seller of 5 yrs on both UK platforms).
Sadly this isn't what I encountered. I bought a watch from a Chinese seller on eBay and eagerly opened my parcel to find a lovely gleaming.... Scarf! I contacted eBay and PayPal to get a refund and their process states you should try to settle this amicably between buyer and seller without eBay/PayPal intervention. So I posted the "watch" back, it took weeks, then the seller didn't acknowledge further messages. PayPal rules say you need to make a claim within x days of purchase, otherwise it's too late, and so I lost out.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Would eBay and Amazon be so good if it wasn't for the obligatory EU/UK distance selling legilation? Sadly that doesn't apply to purchasing from China.

I contacted eBay and PayPal to get a refund and their process states you should try to settle this amicably between buyer and seller without eBay/PayPal intervention.
Yes, but open a case with them first so you don't time out (but that's eBay UK, not AliExpress.) eBay will intervene on your behalf after about a week if you haven't been successful trying direct.

The OP was lucky he didn't get stung by UK customs to add to the woes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The refund hasn't actually came through from AliExpress yet, although they have said I will be getting it, but I will not count my chickens before they are hatched, the woe's may continue.
I will wait till the refund is actually processed before I leave my "review" on the items listing page.

·
Registered
431 Posts
They do seem to try it on. I bought 2 x WiFi plug sockets (Sonoff S26) through Banggood for £12.50 (which admittedly is very cheap!!). On arrival one was fine the other was DOA. I had to send video and photos etc and they then offered me "points" worth about £1.

I had paid some kind of insurance so challenged them, and they have agreed to pay me 7. It's not arrived yet but this was only yesterday,.

Having said that I make many small purchases through Banggood and Aliexpress and mostly they are not problematic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem with the likes of this cable is that because it still works even though it is 55 cm short, AliExpress still deem it to be usable. if it was broken or totally wrong maybe a full refund would have came my way, but obviously the seller has sent the shorter cable perhaps to save on postage and cable length knowing because it still works they are pretty safe.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The issue is the Chinese state pays towards postage.
This means posting back is unviable.

Reactions: Jon72

·
Registered
431 Posts
Good point - but I'd paid a few pence extra for buyer protection on my Banggood purchase yet still they tried to wriggle...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You should not have 'confimed goods received' until you had unboxed and checked the goods. Ah well....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't and don't as a rule, but posted out recorded del so tracking confirmed delivery to AliExpress unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I didn't and don't as a rule, but posted out recorded del so tracking confirmed delivery to AliExpress unfortunately.
Ah crap... that's a pain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts