Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have booked an all day test drive of a Mini electric later this month and asked about whether the car would be equipped with a type 2 cable. I was informed that it has the 3 pin plug " EVSE granny charger" only.

This seems a bit pointless as the car would take all day to re-charge whereas a type 2 cable would be useful on destination chargers that could be used to keep it topped up.

This means that prospective customers would effectively be limited to the rapid charge networks that they have accounts and authorisation to use, which is unrealistic fir first time EV buyers, which would risk them getting stuck somewhere if the battery ran low.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have booked an all day test drive of a Mini electric later this month and asked about whether the car would be equipped with a type 2 cable. I was informed that it has the 3 pin plug " EVSE granny charger" only.

This seems a bit pointless as the car would take all day to re-charge whereas a type 2 cable would be useful on destination chargers that could be used to keep it topped up.

This means that prospective customers would effectively be limited to the rapid charge networks that they have accounts and authorisation to use, which is unrealistic fir first time EV buyers, which would risk them getting stuck somewhere if the battery ran low.
Seems pretty poor. I would demand both are supplied, like other manufs do.

Reactions: james rogerson

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
I can kinda see why. Its standard BMW practice to only provide the car with only a granny cable when you buy one. That's all that comes with the car.

You use an argument against rapid chargers, but many of them accept contactless payment. With a Type 2 AC post you'll struggle to find many of them where you can just tap your credit card. That would be a bigger issue regarding the need for apps or RFID cards.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,183 Posts

Not sure I follow the logic.

Given the choice of either cable, surely the 3 pin would be most appropriate for most test drives?

If you have a charge point to use, you will know all about this stuff already and probably have a lead already too?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I had the very similar issue when I booked a two day test drive of the e.Golf.
No type 2 cable supplied with the car, they had left the cable at the sister branch !.
They where quick enough to say that if we came to a stop because we had run the car to low, not to bother ringing them to get recovered !.
Handy, when they did not provide a public charging cable don’t you think ?.
My PHEV did have a cable, so I used that instead.
One hour latter, I was using it at a large shopping centre.
It just think they where worried the cable would get stolen is the feeling I get here !.
Not providing the means to charge is asking for trouble really.
It’s like offering a test drive in a ICE car and not providing the facility to open the petrol cap !.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,983 Posts
I can kinda see why. Its standard BMW practice to only provide the car with only a granny cable when you buy one. That's all that comes with the car.
Renault do it the other way, they supply a Type 2, but the granny cable is on the options list.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
I had the very similar issue when I booked a two day test drive of the e.Golf.
No type 2 cable supplied with the car, they had left the cable at the sister branch !.
They where quick enough to say that if we came to a stop because we had run the car to low, not to bother ringing them to get recovered !.
Handy, when they did not provide a public charging cable don’t you think ?.
My PHEV did have a cable, so I used that instead.
One hour latter, I was using it at a large shopping centre.
It just think they where worried the cable would get stolen is the feeling I get here !.
Not providing the means to charge is asking for trouble really.
It’s like offering a test drive in a ICE car and not providing the facility to open the petrol cap !.
As stated before, you can still charge on a rapid.

Not really a big deal if you want to maximise your driving time.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
Renault do it the other way, they supply a Type 2, but the granny cable is on the options list.
I honestly don't understand why Renault even sell granny cables when they spend half their time telling you that they are such terrible things that you should never use. I've even heard one Renault dealer suggest that it would even void your warranty!

I wish BMW/Mini would do it more like Renault though and supply type 2 as standard and then make the granny cable the optional extra. Type 2 is often cheaper but far more useful. I'm sure that this would also put an end to all the PHEVs that hog rapids charging at only 3kW for hours too. A lot of the times their argument is that they do it because they don't have the cable for using a basic AC Charge post.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
As stated before, you can still charge on a rapid.

Not really a big deal if you want to maximise your driving time.
Using a rapid when on a one or two day test drive is fine, as long as its accessible via a contact system.
Most people carrying out there first test drive in an EV will not be carrying an array of RFID cards, that's or sure !.
More type 2 fast posts ( which a lot are free to use in the UK ) available than rapids.
But you need a cable to access them of course.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Having had loads of EVs out on extended test drives I really can't see why you would want that cable. Just take it to a local rapid as the other methods will just waste most of your driving time. Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure I follow the logic.
Given the choice of either cable, surely the 3 pin would be most appropriate for most test drives?
A 3-pin <3kW granny EVSE (>8 hour charge time) would be useless for a 1 day test drive where we will have the car for barely 9 hours max.

I agree that using rapid DC would be best, but my observations in social media of the first-off experience of folks using rapid charge networks (EH 😫 for example) is that there is a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
A 3-pin <3kW granny EVSE (>8 hour charge time) would be useless for a 1 day test drive where we will have the car for barely 9 hours max.

I agree that using rapid DC would be best, but my observations in social media of the first-off experience of folks using rapid charge networks (EH 😫 for example) is that there is a lot of hassle.
All the more reason for the test drive to include local DC rapids.

Not much is learnt from plugging in to AC slow charging.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
How far is this one day test drive going to be?

Presumably it’ll be fully charged when it’s picked up, so there’s over a hundred miles or a couple of hours driving time. Would you really then plug it into a Type 2 for 4 hours, rather than rapid charge it and drive some more?

I’d be plotting a route that had me driving somewhere nice to a contactless rapid, charging on it, then driving some more.

It’s a test drive day, not a test charge day.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
It’s a test drive day, not a test charge day.
Sure, but as stated previously the people test driving for a day/weekend will be new to EVs and want to understand how it would fit into their lifestyle.

Hence understanding real world rapid charging experience could be key.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Sure, but as stated previously the people test driving for a day/weekend will be new to EVs and want to understand how it would fit into their lifestyle.

Hence understanding real world rapid charging experience could be key.
I don’t think we’re disagreeing, for a change. 😆

Rapid charging should be experienced, but I don’t see the lack of a Type 2 cable for a test drive day being all that important. Maybe over a weekend, yes.

I was asked for help a couple of weeks ago on a Rapid when a couple had just turned up next to me in a new Zoe. The lady of the duo had what I’d describe as ‘good leadership skills’ and told me I wasn’t going anywhere until I’d shown her how all this Rapid Charging malarkey worked. 🤣

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
All the more reason for the test drive to include local DC rapids.

Not much is learnt from plugging in to AC slow charging.
Although I do agree that learning how to use a rapid can be seen as part of the experience when having a brief one day test drive, but just adjusting to the whole EV change over from ICE is enough for most folks to deal with.
Taking onboard the issues that a rapid CAN bring can be a little overwhelming first time out for the day !.
I have owned my car over seven months now and covered almost 6,000 miles, I only offered it to its first rapid charger last week.
This was only to experience what it was like.
I do not intend to make rapid charging a regular thing, as you can clearly see !.
Only speaking for myself here folks, but if was offered a fully charged EV with a range close to say 200 miles for the day.
I think buy the time I had become close to consuming all of that range, I would be fairly sure if the car was going to become close to suiting my needs.
I probably would have spent the previous couple of weeks researching the car on this great site and others also !.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unless you want to waste half your day charging instead of driving, I really don't think the lack of a Type 2 cable is going to impede your experience one little bit.

Might be a slightly different question if you had the car over a weekend or something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts