Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a far trip around m25 and had the unpleasant surprise of finding 2 chargers that had ac43kw on zapmap without any AC chargers at all swapped by gridserves chademo+ccs only chargers.

All those arguments that there's loads of chargers, if you have an old zoe without ccs, its becoming harder and harder to charge

Registered
It is an unfortunate lull, they are I believe in the process of rectifying.
The first phase of their rollout has made things usable for CCS, and worse/unusable for AC and chademo. Not great at all, but as a CCS user I can see a little irony.
So far they've subject to a couple of missteps done as they promised, I think they will put this right, but you're in for a good couple of months of disruption, and zap map showing out of date info can only make it worse.
Have faith, it will get better, I hope 馃

Registered
No motorway charging for original Zoe owners for a while now. They will be getting AC but as above, you're in for a bit of a wait. When it does come it's worth noting that it's only going to be a single 22kW socket, so you'll need your own cable as well.

There are still lots of 43kW AC options away from the motorway though. If you're happy to pull off and do a little extra route planning you can still manage for sure.

had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
Always worth giving Gridserve a reminder of their promises to provide for ALL BEVs, they are well aware that one of the most common BEVs on the road has AC only charging, but they are being slow at the moment and I think it鈥檚 good to remind them. The only Gridserve charger with an AC socket is Ferrybridge Services, but according to Zap-Map chat the AC doesn鈥檛 work.
Gridserve are trying to improve charging facilities, but have badly let down Zoe owners so far.

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
They're adding a separate AC socket on its own pole. Stopped at Southwaite south recently, the pole and ducting are there ready for whatever solution they're putting in place. This approach does, potentially, offer the advantage of having the AC facility separate from the rapid so you're less likely to be competing for the same space shared by CCS and AC users.

Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (拢50 off one month for both of us)
Chargers without Ac on them really annoy me, like it's no effort to put a 3 phase plug on there as that's what the charger is connected to!
They're adding a separate AC socket on its own pole. Stopped at Southwaite south recently, the pole and ducting are there ready for whatever solution they're putting in place. This approach does, potentially, offer the advantage of having the AC facility separate from the rapid so you're less likely to be competing for the same space shared by CCS and AC users.
There are some Gridserver Rapids that have a 22kW Type 2 socket on them as well, two of the three units at Ferrybridge (near Leeds, M62) have these, yet these aren't active yet.

Registered
Separate ac is obviously good like the PodPoint and GeniePoint ones and I know that this has only come about due to charger shortages,,, but,,,,, they decided to take the old chargers out and replace with non Ac ones without sorting out the solution at the same time.
Would a forecourt take out all the diesel nozzles for 6 months while they get a compatible pump? No..

Registered
Separate ac is obviously good like the PodPoint and GeniePoint ones and I know that this has only come about due to charger shortages,,, but,,,,, they decided to take the old chargers out and replace with non Ac ones without sorting out the solution at the same time.
Would a forecourt take out all the diesel nozzles for 6 months while they get a compatible pump? No..
Some of the Gridserve ones do have AC on them, as Ferrybridge does. They're just not active yet. But agreed it still doesn't help.

What I did notice is the AC Connectors are on the same units as the Chademo connector, leaving the Dual CCS units alone. So I do agree with you, a standalone 22kW AC Post might have been a better idea, actually.

Registered
I think the primary challenge they've had is hardware availability. ABB seem to have been pretty poor. Some would say they're not a good choice of hardware partner. They couldn't initially provide hardware with the AC output capability. They also seem to be struggling to sort the firmware to handle two customers at once.

Registered
They couldn't initially provide hardware with the AC output capability. They also seem to be struggling to sort the firmware to handle two customers at once.
If they can't make it charge AC and DC at the same time on these specific units then it really is a waste. If you have an older Zoe on the 22kW Socket and the CCS and Chademo sockets are then both out of use then that's quite poor and a bit of a waste.

Here's hoping ABB and Gridserve can work it out, though.

Registered
This is a combination of grid connectivity constraints and firmware limitations. At present I believe only one car can charge on the two headed units. Reason being the existing firmware would just halve the amount of current available to each car. These are 2 x 120kW chargers but are currently limited to 60kW so an even split would mean charging at 30kW max. Gridserve have opted not to do this and ABB are supposed to be supplying firmware that intelligently balances the available power between the cars based on what they're requesting at the time. It's somewhat overdue.

I'm not sure how they work in the AC charging demand. It sounds like the units with the AC socket might be ChadEMO or AC, which would be a safe approach given AC is going to be a lower draw than the ChadEMO.

Registered
Zoe R110
Annoyingly I only found out about this the other day as I was helping a friend who has just bought an ID3.
Most of the chargers around here are now just CCS/Chademo. Places that I have stopped before like Bladock Services are now a no go zone for me.

Glad I found out about this before just assuming it was still there. There would have been some significant swearing if I turned up needing it to work.

A row of 22kW posts is going to be a fair bit cheaper than the DC stuff. Might even work out in our favour in the end.....just not now.

Registered
Many of the new chargers are fine with Ac at the same time as dc. Obviously grid constraints could still be an issue but that's site specific.
Apparently parking spaces are an issue too, really don't get that but it's what gridserve were stating.
Yeah it could all work out in the end but at the moment it's worse than it was!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of the Gridserve ones do have AC on them, as Ferrybridge does. They're just not active yet. But agreed it still doesn't help.

What I did notice is the AC Connectors are on the same units as the Chademo connector, leaving the Dual CCS units alone. So I do agree with you, a standalone 22kW AC Post might have been a better idea, actually.
the thing is though. THey're pulling out AC/DC rapid chargers and replacing them with DC only ones.

Registered
the thing is though. THey're pulling out AC/DC rapid chargers and replacing them with DC only ones.
It was my understanding that at all sites there will (eventually) be AC Posts/Sockets.

Ferrybridge M62 has two Rapid Units which have an AC Socket on them, IKEA Leeds has a standalone AC Socket.

So yes, currently some sites don't even have AC Sockets, but Gridserve are adding these later.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts