Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on the BBC...

Buses: Government unveils £50m plan to create first all-electric bus town

England's first town to have all-electric buses will be created through a £50m fund, the Department for Transport (DfT) has announced.
Local authorities can bid for money to help pay for a new fleet of electric buses.
See: Plans for first all-electric bus town revealed

It might look like a bit of a publicity stunt but reading through they claim that a fleet of 200 electric busses could take over 3,700 diesel cars off the road so it is going to become quite important in the future that all public transport leads the way towards electrification.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
... they claim that a fleet of 200 electric busses could take over 3,700 diesel cars off the road
I think there's a bit of double counting going on there !

200 new diesel busses would probably have the effect of persuading some drivers to leave the car at home and use a new improved bus service. Why do they think that a bus being electric would result in more people wanting to use it ? Also, some of the people who would switch might be driving EVs themselves and most of the others would be (not) using petrol rather than diesel.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,115 Posts
They probably mean 3700 individual diesel car journeys not diesel cars. Nobody is going to ditch a car to use the bus voluntarily.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,038 Posts
They probably mean 3700 individual diesel car journeys not diesel cars. Nobody is going to ditch a car to use the bus voluntarily.
I think that replacing 200 deisel busses is a significant thing in itself. Specially if you like breathing

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,115 Posts
You can at least report dirty polluting buses. I've done it a couple of times as the local ones are absolute old clankers. Makes a mockery of air quality having these things on the road.

Taxis have an age limit. They should do the same for buses to clear out the old crap ones. I don't think they've even got to EU6 with buses. That would seem the minimum standard they should reach.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Before Christmas we visited Nottingham where the city buses are all electric and the area double-deckers run on bio-diesel.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Before Christmas we visited Nottingham where the city buses are all electric and the area double-deckers run on bio-diesel.
Surely it will be Guildford, what with them having a Uk bus maker in the town as the biggest employer, developing electric buses.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
As usual the detail gets lost. The occupancy level of a conventional bus is critical to how many individual ICEs it can displace. A typical diesel bus needs take 30 ICEs off the road before the overall pollution is break even.. I would suspect the gov. figures on potential reduction in pollution by displacing cars is based on every bus passenger being somebody who has left the car at home. But they are not. The big savings in pollution come from replacing buses that run around with a very low occupancy. But those routes are uneconomic to run. I am all for electric buses to reduce pollution but I doubt if it will result in any meaningful reduction in the number of ICEs on the road unless the difference in cost for public and private transport for the user is adjusted to push the traveller out of the car and onto public transport. .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts