Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying an outlander phev and have about 17k to spend inc PEX. I'm reading a lot about settings and I have 3 main Q's:
1. How do you set it up as pure EV.
2. What mode is best for a fully charged phev on a long motorway journey. How do I set it up?
3. I have heard that some models automatically turn on the ICE to heat/Aircon etc, can this feature be turned off? What models have this?

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
108 Posts
1. How do you set it up as pure EV.
Newer PHEV have an "EV" button so its easy. Older MY14/15 etc you can buy a device called the "PHEV box" which essentially does the same thing. I havn't bothered, you soon get used to watching the Power gauge when accelerating and staying to the left of 12 o'clock.
2. What mode is best for a fully charged phev on a long motorway journey. How do I set it up?
EV mode works best around town, so if your trip involves enough slow speed driving to deplete the battery, then simply press "Save" when you are driving > 70km/h. Around 70km/h is the speed at which the PHEV goes into parallel hybrid mode where the ICE drives the wheels directly so its slightly more efficient). You can change the screen between the
3. I have heard that some models automatically turn on the ICE to heat/Aircon etc, can this feature be turned off? What models have this?
This is quite tricky and I can't help you on that as its a European issue, as we just use the heated seats here in Australia. There is a similar product/feature called "ICE stop" by the same company, I think it might be part of the aftermarket "PHEV box"?

All things considered, the PHEV does a great job without pressing any buttons, however if you want to tinker you can squeeze a few extra % out. Just drive it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
1. How do you set it up as pure EV
You can't. The car is a hybrid and even if you are driving in EV mode, will start the engine if it thinks that it needs to. After a few weeks driving it you will learn how to drive to use battery power rather than petrol, but if the car needs more power the engine will start. Also, if you don't use any petrol for a long time (3 months I'm told) the car will insist on running the engine to get rid of the stale fuel.
Start your drive in normal mode, then select SAVE when you get onto the motorway. When you leave the motorway and enter a town deselect SAVE (or press EV) and drive on electricity for the rest of the journey.

The 3H does this, and has a few other things missing, but the 4H, 4HS, 5H, 5HS have electric heaters. They heat the cooling water from the engine, so don't generate heat instantly, but they also warm the engine for an easier start when required. In really cold weather they may also start the engine in order that it's not completely cold when it's needed. You can preheat the car using battery power before you drive away but of course that reduces the battery range, which is already reduced due to the cold weather. You may find that you need a certain amount of petrol during the winter whatever you do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts