Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my EV for a few weeks, but thanks to the clear skies and my solar panels over the past couple of weeks i have pretty much kept the car charged without spending a penny.

There is nothing more satisfying than driving around (im a key worker and NHS volunteer before you ask why) and its not costing a bean...:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yep me too. I had them installed 4 years ago when I got our first EV

Each year, the last week of March is when the panels start making serious energy. Checking my logs for last year , in the period of the last week of March to the end of Septemebr there were only 4 weeks when I made less than 100kws in the week.

Like you I am able to charge for free for those 6 months.

During the winter I generally charge ( using a granny cable in the garage) totally using the Go tariff as at 5p per kw as its cheaper than charging during the day with part solar and part electricity at the normal full cost of electricity.

Even better, when I switched my elctricity to Octopus last year I used an introduction code for an existing Octopus customer and so I got a £50 credit placed on my account. That £50 easily paid for all my EV charging over the winter months.

Since I moved to Octopus I have introduced another EV owner to them. When he switched he got £50 and I got another £50 too. That will pay for my EV needs this coming Winter. So I guess that my actual EV fuel cost for Sept 2019 to Christmas 2021 will be zero!

If you are not yet on Octopus GO have a look. In the winter months it will save you buckets of money . And if you use an introduction code then you will get about 4000 miles of free electrcity for your car.

And as a Key Worker & Volunteer- can I say a BIG THANKS for everything you are doing

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had so much free power last week i couldn't use it all! The car only needed a tiny bit as not been anywhere, hot water was up to 60+C by late morning. Ended up putting an electric heater on low to use it up rather than firing up the boiler as was chilly in part of the house.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had so much free power last week i couldn't use it all! The car only needed a tiny bit as not been anywhere, hot water was up to 60+C by late morning. Ended up putting an electric heater on low to use it up rather than firing up the boiler as was chilly in part of the house.
Glad its not just me that goes to great lengths to give as little back to the grid as possible.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Would love to go onto octopus but don't have a smart meter... 😭
Neither did I . But they installed one for me (at no charge) within 4 weeks of switching.

However I think that due to The Virus no one is installing smart meters at the moment.

However have a look at their tariffs and maybe apply now. For the interim they put you on their current fixed rate and you switch to Go once the smart meter has been installed? Then as soon as installations restart you will already be in the queue................ After all you will probably not need the 5p tariff until September time and you will already have had the £50 credit into your account.

Worth considering?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Unless you have a huge solar array, you're unlikely to be able to charge solely from solar except for a couple of hours a day. We have a 4kWP array of 16 panels that covers one entire side of the roof of a large double garage; it's set at an ideal angle of 30 degrees. It seldom produces more than 3.5kWh in the best hour on the best day. For most of the best day it produces less than that. On an average day, it produces far, far less than that. Unless you use a 6A granny charger or a Zappi, your power will be coming from the mains most of the time

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently granny and just turning it on when producing.

Have a zappi waiting to be installed, whenever that may happen now?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Our granny is 10A (2.4kW) only, and our panels produce more than that for only a few hours on a sunny day - far, far less on your average day. I reckon I could fully charge our PHEV (usually only 9kWh) for 10-20% of the days in a year, as the number of days in a year that it produces above 2.4kW for 5 hours is tiny. SWMBO's Zoe usually needs 10-15kWh, and even with a Zappi reducing to the minimum to 6A, we'd be lucky to get that in more than a handful of days in a year. You may have a much bigger solar array, and use your car far less: otherwise you're extremely unlikely to be charging solely on solar!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've got 4 kWp of solar panels but no EV yet and I'm also on Octopus Agile. During the day they can be quite cheap as well as the occasional negative rates overnight when they pay you for what you take. The last time that happened was last week.

Tomorrow, for example there's a period between 13.00 and 16.00 when the rate averages 3.485p a unit, so if I had an EV I'd be using my solar power and not worrying if I had to import as well. Today for the same period the rate averaged just around 5.6p so still pretty good. Depending on your circumstances worth considering.

If you do you change you could always use my referral code, with any proceeds going to my buy an EV fund (or possibly an electric bicycle the way things are going!): Octopus Energy

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
... hot water was up to 60+C by late morning. Ended up putting an electric heater on low to use it up rather than firing up the boiler as was chilly in part of the house.
Aaah, the benefits of an East-facing set of panels! Our water's hot by the time I'm up at 8:30!! :D
Ditto the 500W background convection heater from Screwfix gets switched on full, and the boiler's off already.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
Would love to go onto octopus but don't have a smart meter... 😭
You can join Octopus now and as soon as your account goes live ask to be switched to tracker. See the other thread I started on Octopus tariffs to get the current tracker comparison.
Also email them and ask to be added to the queue for a smart meter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can join Octopus now and as soon as your account goes live ask to be switched to tracker. See the other thread I started on Octopus tariffs to get the current tracker comparison.
Also email them and ask to be added to the queue for a smart meter
My current rate is way cheaper than Octopus can offer at the moment until i get a smart meter, which is planned but on hold during the current situation. Once i do get one, i will switch. Its not that i dont want too, just not prepared to loose my current low rate as we have no idea when they will start installing again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aaah, the benefits of an East-facing set of panels! Our water's hot by the time I'm up at 8:30!! :D
Ditto the 500W background convection heater from Screwfix gets switched on full, and the boiler's off already.
Oh wow that's pretty early, i've been thinking of getting some SE facing panels to boost the morning production, mine are SSW so don;t really start producing much until 9ish.
I'm desperately trying to eek out the last of our oil. We're mid way through an extension, which was to include ASHP, but the build has come to a grinding halt. I don't really want to have to get more oil and then not use it (even if it is ridiculously cheap at the moment)!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I generated over 40kWh on a few days last week and as I don't have an EV at the moment or battery storage the vast majority of it went out to the grid. It is all a little weird too because now I am on the Octopus Agile tariff so I am less concerned at the electricity price in the day (except 4-7pm that is of course!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm stuck in limbo at the mo too, switched to octopus but waiting for my smart meter and also quotes for an EO too. Still trying to figure the best charger to make the most of our 4.2 kw solar array.

In the interim I'm granny cable charging when the sun shines (where I can... Tho be nice to use some sun juice some time soon).

Probably a slightly debatable point but in my search for a solar based car charger the Zappi is the only one that seemingly offers the ability to automatically stop charging if solar output falls below a predetermined level. Is this bad for the car battery to be stop starting a the time?.

I'm wondering whether to just get an ohme for now and just limit it via the cars max charge rate (VW golf) on sunny days. Then using the full 7kw rate in winter or on rare occasions I need a quick charge (using Agile cheap rates of course).

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
You need to get a hot water immersion heater diverted that diverts any power you don’t use to heating your water.

The best I had was an ancient meter that ran backwards so any power I made could basically be used later that evening.

I think if the government scrapped subsidies and made it legal to run our meters backward it would be a much better solution.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Really like the whole idea of being independent energy wise.

I'd love to (solar immersion) but not sure it's economic (from what I'd read), as I don't have a cylinder already. Interested to hear how much it could be done for as I still think it's a neat thing to do and can do the plumbing.

Like some I've thought about just having a couple of Electric heaters for those days when it's still chilly out but sunny.

Also have one eye on battery storage next, hopefully just a matter of time for the whole ev thing to make it more affordable. The pylontech option looks particularly interesting and expandable at the mo.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
I’ve been looking at forklift batteries but it’s still a huge commitment in terms of cost and time.

Actually for me it’s not so much about being green but about being independent and off grid.

Solar hot water tubes are deff worthwhile as long as temp is not freezing.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Actually for me it’s not so much about being green but about being independent and off grid.
Have you looked into the difficulties of islanding so that you can use the storage when the grid goes down.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts