Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm not the first to dink one of the lovely new uber-turbine wheels on the M3P. Thankfully I predicted this might be an easy thing to do so took out an extra alloy insurance policy when I got the car. All worked as it should and someone came out very efficiently. A couple of weeks after the repair, for the first time I got to see the car from the passenger side in daylight from a distance and noticed that the repaired wheel is a totally different shade of grey! When I say "totally" that could be considered an exaggeration I suppose, but certainly it is noticeably a few shades lighter.

Obviously I will go back to the company to raise the issue but just thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has had a similar issue or indeed is there a specific colour code these guys need to know (although I might have assumed they'd already have had access to that sort of info!)

TIA

· Premium Member
11,558 Posts
I had a similar issue with a standard silver wheel.

When I raised it with the refurb company, their solution was to paint the other wheel that side of the car as well, so they matched!

It is difficult sometimes to match the paint from the factory, but most decent places should be able to match paint even without a code.

· Registered
29 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved?

The first wheel kerbing happened when my car was in for bodywork (piece of word flew up and dented door and took all the paint off) The bodyshop dropped the car back with two kerbed alloys. I complained, they either refurbished them or got them refurbished and they look brand new, colour looks spot on to my eyes etc. That was the drivers side.

Fast forward a while and I kerb the nearside front wheel through a moment of carelessness. Found a local fairly well thought of wheel place. Wheel profile itself is well repaired but the paint looks totally off to my eyes. It's worse in some light and not that noticeable in others. But it's definitely more towards a grey than the dark gunmetal. There's also a purple/lavender hue that I don't ever remember seeing on the original wheel or any of the others. Last picture is my rear wheel on same side for comparison.

I've let the wheel refurbisher know but how successful were you in getting this resolved out of interest? I can't leave it like this.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
29 Posts
You always do 2x alloys on the same side of the car at the same time (if not all 4!).
Perhaps "luckily" the bodyshop that damaged the other side damaged both wheels so had to get both done.

That said if I walk round the back of the car and compare the wheels they did to the original nearside rear I can't spot the difference in shade. If I do the same round the front it is immediately apparent so it's definitely far too light.

· Registered
29 Posts
The wheel place re-did the wheel and it is a lot lot better. I think unless you were really trying to look for it you'd struggle to notice and anyway different levels of dirt on the wheels could probably make more of a difference.

They actually also even now offered to do the other wheel too for free on that side but I think it's so close that I'm not going to have them do that.

Probably is fair to say these are a pain to colour match. Just glad the wheel place I went to the bloke in there is friendly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.