Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am looking at buying the MGZS EV. :cool:

After a good half hour talking through the various options available to me (pre-reg with my car as a deposit, Swappage & Public sector 'Affinity deal') I would be able to afford it and the only point putting me off at the moment is the ability to actually charge it.

Few questions in bold if you want to skim read:

I'm back living with my parents temporarily (though "long term" temporarily) so would be getting the charger installed here ideally.
Does it have to be installed ON the house/garage? Due to the narrowness of the road and cars parking opposite the drive, I would be unable to reverse out of the drive if I drove in, but could easily reverse in and drive out if that makes sense.
Could I have the cable attached to the front wall of the garden/side of the drive (as the charger is at the front of the car)? Or does it have to be connected to a "structure"? (obviously running the cable to it correctly via a trench in the garden I imagine)

Also on the aspect of getting the charger, my parents dont have an RCD style breaker box, just the older fuse wire sort. But they have a smart meter fitted just fine so maybe its newer style one? I'm guessing I would be liable for a surcharge for any extra equipment needed for the install like a separate RCD?

I managed to get a written quote that they have agreed to honor for me for the next 7days for an Exclusive in White for £22,495. Free Granny charger, Free type 2 cable, 7yr warranty, 3 years servicing and free 12m AA cover following each yearly service.
How did I do price wise? Is this the sort of deal people are getting in general? I usually go for ~£3k second/third/sixth hand cars so the world of car finance/dealers is a dark art for me...I'm currently driving a Gen2 Prius.

Is it true that there are no forward parking sensors? It doesn't mention it in the brochure, and on the look around I'm sure I saw circular marks on the front bumper, but maybe these were for the forward collision warning...?

I would plan on only parking in the drive to charge it once or twice a week. I've read the 12v can be quite weak. Would this cause me any issues? (I dont want to tie up my parents drive as it's easier for my mum to park in there given her smaller car) - Plus I only HAVE to drive 20miles a day.

I imagine I will have more questions following responses :D

Thanks All!

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,186 Posts
I don't have a ZS So will leave others to answer the vehicle specific questions. But you can absolutely mount the charger elsewhere or even have it pedestal mounted with some companies like Pod Point. As long as it is safe they should be fine with that. The only thing to note is that you will pay a premium if you are going to be getting a 'non standard' installation done. Regarding the fusebox, most companies I have seen install a mini breaker box just for the EV charger so the existing setup shouldn't matter too much, as long as there is a main isolator switch for them to cut all power allowing them to do the work.

Parking to charge once or twice a week is fine. The 12v battery should charge whenever you drive in almost any car (the ZS should be included here I imagine) so if it is in regular daily use there shouldn't really be a problem there. Other than general battery failures, the only time you tend to hear about them going dead is if they are left parked up for a long period of time.

You will only be able to claim the grant once with this vehicle, so if you are living there temporarily make sure it is worthwhile, and that you aren't better off just getting an outdoor socket and using a granny cable and maybe the occasional public charger for now instead.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,406 Posts
You will only be able to claim the grant once with this vehicle, so if you are living there temporarily make sure it is worthwhile, and that you aren't better off just getting an outdoor socket and using a granny cable and maybe the occasional public charger for now instead.
I'll go with that one too. Probably best to wait until you have a permanent Gaff for your own charger.

Price wise you've got a very reasonable deal. Type 2 cable is not normally included and you may need one as you can get a charge at places like Tesco, Morrisons and Lidl. Could help with the charging whilst you're waiting for somewhere permanent and without the type 2 you won't be able to use them.

I'm not sure about the front/rear sensors. I probably don't get close to things in front or behind. I don't think I've heard either.

Did the dealer show you how to use the MGPilot and Traffic Jam Assist. If not try to get a demonstration before you drive away.

Reactions: Coedy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a ZS So will leave others to answer the vehicle specific questions. But you can absolutely mount the charger elsewhere or even have it pedestal mounted with some companies like Pod Point. As long as it is safe they should be fine with that. The only thing to note is that you will pay a premium if you are going to be getting a 'non standard' installation done. Regarding the fusebox, most companies I have seen install a mini breaker box just for the EV charger so the existing setup shouldn't matter too much, as long as there is a main isolator switch for them to cut all power allowing them to do the work.
That's great, I thought I would need to pay any additional for a "non standard installation" I just didn't know if I could have it away from the house. It's good that they will just use a separate breaker for the car-there is a whole system isolator.

Parking to charge once or twice a week is fine. The 12v battery should charge whenever you drive in almost any car (the ZS should be included here I imagine) so if it is in regular daily use there shouldn't really be a problem there. Other than general battery failures, the only time you tend to hear about them going dead is if they are left parked up for a long period of time.
Also good news! The longest it would be parked up without driving would be around 3 days once a month. Even then though I cold ask my dad to take it around the block.

Yeah I did think about that. However when I do get my own place (moved back home to save-I imagine 12/20months) I plan on a Zappi or similar as I want to go solar eventually.
Seeing as I would need to pay extra for this anyway I think it would be of more use to me to have a second charger at my parents should I want to stop in there for a top up.
The added benefit being that if my parents got an EV in future (I've been working on my dad for the last year...) they could use the Plug in grant (if its still around) to get a further one installed at for example my Nan's down the road - building our own local infrastructure.
The other issue is I live in cold dark hilly Wales where the councils are...a little...olde worlde in their planning, the infrastructure locally is a bit weak. Apparently there is a 7kw in a local library carpark half hour away and there's a rapid at the local services 20mins away. Other than that they are all half hour away and working from home it means I would need to go out specifically to charge (I don't think stopping on route after picking up my 2year old daughter will do my sanity any favours)

I'll go with that one too. Probably best to wait until you have a permanent Gaff for your own charger.
See above for my reasoning's :)

Price wise you've got a very reasonable deal. Type 2 cable is not normally included and you may need one as you can get a charge at places like Tesco, Morrisons and Lidl. Could help with the charging whilst you're waiting for somewhere permanent and without the type 2 you won't be able to use them.
Ah ok that's good to know, I just figured supermarkets would be tethered. Glad I didnt just turn up and hope without a cable!

I'm not sure about the front/rear sensors. I probably don't get close to things in front or behind. I don't think I've heard either.
I know it has rear ones on the top spec as on the camera screen its got a little image of the rear of the car, but on my little look over the car I couldn't find a button for the front ones...if there are any!

Did the dealer show you how to use the MGPilot and Traffic Jam Assist. If not try to get a demonstration before you drive away.
I read online that a tip for working with dealers was to phone up and make an appointment to just discuss finances. That way they wont try to blow you away on a test drive then give you a mediocre deal when you're already in a good mood and wanting the car no matter what they say.
When I've worked out the charging issues with the parents and got their ok to plonk a big plastic box on their property and get it wired in, I plan on going back for a test drive and a hand shake.

I know what I forgot to ask about!
THE UPDATES!
Is it reasonable to expect all updates to be present and correct at this time of year?
(so far past June? does anyone have a screen capture or link to the webpage that says all cars are sold as up to date if tey were produced after June? I've seen this mentioned on the forums, but not found it myself)
It wouldn't be Pre-reg but presumably wouldn't be a factory order (he said every few weeks they get more cars through? Unless he means there's only a 2 week lead time on orders?)

I've seen on the Facebook groups people suggest saying you wont pick it up unless it's up to date. The dealer seems really tidy and happy to help when I initially phoned and discussed the finances with him. Seems a bit offish for me to suddenly turn all demanding... although maybe I'm stuck in the second hand private sales mindset...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome. That’s a pretty good deal you’ve got.

Only additional suggestion I would make is that depending on how close you can park a longer type 2 cable could reach from house to nose of car. This has the advantage of being a completely normal install. So go for an untethered wall box and get a 7.5 or even 10m cable. I’ve not done this, I’ve just seen long cables for sale!

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,186 Posts
Is it reasonable to expect all updates to be present and correct at this time of year?
I've seen a few threads on here with people saying the updates are supposedly optional. You will have to ask for what you want rather than just expecting it, it seems.

Ah ok that's good to know, I just figured supermarkets would be tethered. Glad I didnt just turn up and hope without a cable!
AC Charging posts, 3kW-22kW are just sockets that you plug your own cable into most of the time. The only time you will see a tethered charger is a DC Rapid one.

Also good news! The longest it would be parked up without driving would be around 3 days once a month. Even then though I cold ask my dad to take it around the block.
You shouldn't need to take it for a drive. Just leave it switched on ready to drive for a little while and that would be enough to top up the 12v battery in an EV. That said, I can't imagine 3 days would be a problem. It's more like a few weeks rather than a few days when you start to worry about that.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, only today I put a small holding deposit on one after a test drive and the ageing mother getting in test! (The latter usage is normally GPs and outpatients, but I did suggest a garden centre trip at some stage. :) )

Anyway, I'd be paying a little less (21,9??) for an Exclusive in white - the cheapskate colour. Type 2 cable and mats included but no servicing. I asked about the software updates and they would be done. At least he knew what I was talking about if a bit vague about servicing costs and the like. They'd sold out of their original allocation of cars so were allowed more and at the price they were offering had customers from all over.

I think my left hand only went to the gear lever about 3 times when accelerating :), and as someone who has never even driven an automatic it took a little getting used to, plus as a new car everything was so tight compared to my current 11 year old car! Impressive torque and acceleration and nearly rear ended when I braked a bit hard in traffic! As it was a short session I didn't drive with a view to economy, and you don't get the usual feedback of motor and gear box noise.

I'm getting a drive laid and friend is going to install a commando socket for an OHME cable so I can exploit my PV and Agile tariff. I'll practice on a few public chargers but almost all of my mileage will be home charging and I hope you can manage that too. The fact that it comes with a granny charger means at least there's always a desperation back up solution!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
an Exclusive in white - the cheapskate colour
a few people have specifically chosen to buy the cheapest colour because they get their car wrapped and thus can choose any colour, since they didn't like the choices from MG.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I went for white in my quote was I loved the black but after having a classic mini with a black roof it got stinking and I doubt I'd keep on top of cleaning it.
I've already had a car a similar colour red, while good looking I feel I've been there and done that.
The blue is very very similar to my existing Prius, been there, done that.
White is the only other option!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've never chosen a particular colour before as it's whatever second hand car came up as best value, so I've maintained that tradition with my first new one... The black one did look good, I agree..

I just hope it lasts as I intend to keep it some time, being an outright purchase.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, only today I put a small holding deposit on one after a test drive and the ageing mother getting in test! (The latter usage is normally GPs and outpatients, but I did suggest a garden centre trip at some stage. :) )

Anyway, I'd be paying a little less (21,9??) for an Exclusive in white - the cheapskate colour. Type 2 cable and mats included but no servicing. I asked about the software updates and they would be done. At least he knew what I was talking about if a bit vague about servicing costs and the like. They'd sold out of their original allocation of cars so were allowed more and at the price they were offering had customers from all over.

I think my left hand only went to the gear lever about 3 times when accelerating :), and as someone who has never even driven an automatic it took a little getting used to, plus as a new car everything was so tight compared to my current 11 year old car! Impressive torque and acceleration and nearly rear ended when I braked a bit hard in traffic! As it was a short session I didn't drive with a view to economy, and you don't get the usual feedback of motor and gear box noise.

I'm getting a drive laid and friend is going to install a commando socket for an OHME cable so I can exploit my PV and Agile tariff. I'll practice on a few public chargers but almost all of my mileage will be home charging and I hope you can manage that too. The fact that it comes with a granny charger means at least there's always a desperation back up solution!
Which dealership did you get this deal from please?

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you want to reverse in and connect your car it will just about reach with a 5 metre cable but you will have to stop within an inch or two of the wall. I bought an 8 metre cable from ebay, it means I can connect easily and still have room to open the up and over door. They are still available but have gone up £10 since I got mine, now £140 + £5.95 delivery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want to reverse in and connect your car it will just about reach with a 5 metre cable but you will have to stop within an inch or two of the wall. I bought an 8 metre cable from ebay, it means I can connect easily and still have room to open the up and over door. They are still available but have gone up £10 since I got mine, now £140 + £5.95 delivery.

That's not too bad actually. Thought they would be more.
I also imagine that if a spot is iced it will be no problem plugging in across the front of it

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I know it has rear ones on the top spec as on the camera screen its got a little image of the rear of the car, but on my little look over the car I couldn't find a button for the front ones...if there are any!
The Exclusive has rear parking sensors AND a reversing camera.
Excite does NOT have the camera fitted.
Both the Excite and the Exclusive models DO NOT have front parking sensors.
Don't bother continuing with the search for the button, because there isn't one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Exclusive has rear parking sensors AND a reversing camera.
Excite does NOT have the camera fitted.
Both the Excite and the Exclusive models DO NOT have front parking sensors.
Don't bother continuing with the search for the button, because there isn't one.
That's great, maybe I got confused by reading it had AEB and thought that would be used for front sensors?
At least I can stop my quest to find the button now!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Which dealership did you get this deal from please?
Richmond, in my particular case the Portsmouth branch but they're also at Southampton and Guildford I believe.

Edit: I believe the deal ends at the end of this month, but you never can be quite sure with selling and special offers. However they are open this weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
T
Richmond, in my particular case the Portsmouth branch but they're also at Southampton and Guildford I believe.

Edit: I believe the deal ends at the end of this month, but you never can be quite sure with selling and special offers. However they are open this weekend.
Thanks for letting me know! I put a deposit down too for the same deal as you minus the Type 2 cable. I'll be having a word with them tomorrow....

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think you should be successful: the sales guy was well aware of its importance and even offered it before I asked, so I flattered him that he was ahead of the game. Given the volumes they're selling I think they're in H.Q.'s good books.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
It's a bit hit and miss if you are able to get a so called "Gift" of a type 2 charging cable.
I did mention that OTHER dealers where offering a type 2 cable as part of the deal ?.
But sadly no - they did offer to sell me one.
Which I declined O.B.T.W.
If you have trade in that has some money in the price, then I understand how they might offer you a so called "Free Cable".
Remember, you get nothing for nothing in this life !.

·
Registered
383 Posts
No trade in in my case - I'd say the opposite and maybe why I was offered it! I told the guy he wouldn't be interested in my 11 year old car and he concurred! Let's face it; they'd only send it off to auction for diddly squat but as a decent runner it does have a value. MOT shortly and then I'll sell it, probably locally as I've done before.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts