Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, when I renewed my AA membership last year I'd got a 15 year old ICE 5lV8. However, I now have a 2 year old EV with 7 year warranty and feel the £120 renewal fee is a little steep. I've always had cover and occasionally swapped from AA to Green Flag for a couple of years at a time to take advantage of introductory offers.
I've been lucky enough to never have needed to use their services in 40 years of motoring but I guess it's like taking a brolly out if you don't want it to rain.
Anyone got any idea how to get reasonable cover at a more palatable cost please ?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Well, when I renewed my AA membership last year I'd got a 15 year old ICE 5lV8. However, I now have a 2 year old EV with 7 year warranty and feel the £120 renewal fee is a little steep. I've always had cover and occasionally swapped from AA to Green Flag for a couple of years at a time to take advantage of introductory offers.
I've been lucky enough to never have needed to use their services in 40 years of motoring but I guess it's like taking a brolly out if you don't want it to rain.
Anyone got any idea how to get reasonable cover at a more palatable cost please ?
I use AutoAid. 60 quid covers both me and and my partner...
Www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My concern about using an alternative to AA is that they might not safeguard my drinking habits or identity......

But seriously, autoaid are good even though they use independents who you may have to pay up front and reclaim costs afterwards. We have breakdown cover, travel insurance, mobile phone insurance etc. as a benefit of our bank account. It costs I think £12 a month but the benefits are worth it (for us).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Try StartRescue.co.uk we have both EV's on a breakdown policy with them and it only cost £37.83/year (That price covers the two cars for national recovery). They also don't increase the price each year; in fact you usually get a 10% discount if you renew. We have used them for a few years with the ICE vehicles we had and never had a problem, including help when we took out a Europe travel cover with them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use GEM and they have been brilliant on the one occasion I've used them. My X-Type broke a road spring and couldn't be driven. The came and flatbedded it to a workshop very speedily.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Have you checked with your bank? A lot will offer a paid account that gives you roadside assistance and a load of other stuff that may make getting the premium account worthwhile. Example: AA are offering you a £120 renewal fee. Nationwide charge £156 per year (£13 per month), which gets you road side assistance, mobile insurance and travel insurance, so you're basically paying £36 per year for the mobile and travel insurance (which cover the family, not just you). Whether this makes sense for you would depend on how much you care about the other perks and how much you pay for them at the moment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rac have dedicated ev features like a mobile charger and all wheels off recovery which I know my zoe needs as towing is banned.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I use AutoAid. 60 quid covers both me and and my partner...
Www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk
Autoaid has been recommended on Moneysaving expert for years, but recent posts on the forums indicate that a change of ownership has made them less than reliable and poor at communicating. One poor review really doesn't mean much, but I've seen a whole string of them now, so I'll probably not renew with them next year.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
346 Posts
A lot of manufacturers, e.g. Nissan, MG, Mercedes, smart, when serviced at their dealers, give a breakdown service FOC.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've used Greenflag for a few years now, multi car and nearly half the cost of RAC/AA.

I've had to call them once when a flooded pothole ripped a tyre of it's rim! Absolutely superb service.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,928 Posts
Rac have dedicated ev features like a mobile charger and all wheels off recovery which I know my zoe needs as towing is banned.
My first Zoe has had to be 'towed' 3 times. Twice on the back of a flatbed and once with the front wheels on a dolly.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Autoaid has been recommended on Moneysaving expert for years, but recent posts on the forums indicate that a change of ownership has made them less than reliable and poor at communicating. One poor review really doesn't mean much, but I've seen a whole string of them now, so I'll probably not renew with them next year.
News to me, thanks for the heads up.
I also took the recommendation from MSE.
I have only needed AutoAid once, on a bank holiday a couple of years back. On that occasion they were good, but it's quite a while ago. Sounds like that's no longer a relevant experience.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
2 options IMHO on this one:

1) get yourself a bank account that provides breakdown as part of the package (I have an RBS select platinum account includes Green Flag cover who just subcontract to your local breakdown company) also has travel insurance built in ironically at the moment, and a whole bunch of other stuff as mentioned above.

Or

2) Dont bother! If you need the AA or any other breakdown company for that matter you can phone them on spec as a non member and pay over the phone there and then to become one..... instantly!

Costs a bit more, but not much but you then get a years cover and if you only use it once every blue moon it works out cheaper than paying to have continuous cover for 8 years and never using it!

Simples!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts