Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Ecotricity thread (How bad is Ecotricity electric highway.) people say they go off route for good chargers.

So what are my options on M4 between Bristol and M25? I need 2 stops, one near Leigh Delamere services and one near Reading.

For Reading, this is easy, there is a Instavolt location with 2 chargers in Winnersh business park. All other alternatives near the motorway are single stall or don't take contactless (eg CYC). But the business park location doesn't have ANY facility nearby last time we stopped there. Any good alternatives?

Where can I charge as alternative to Leigh Delamere services? I am keen to not use this location because it only has a single charger. All other nearby locations including near M5 Bristol are single charger locations.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, it's not on Zapmap.

Also, Chademo Leaf 24 :)

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Never had problems at Leigh Delamere with my Leaf 40 (and never had to queue). However, once going west to Bristol, I left at Jct 17 (just before LD) and used the Pod Point at Lidl Chippenham. I then continued my journey to Bristol along the A420 - more relaxing than the M4 - but you may not have the range in a 24. Of course going east via that route you would have Tog Hill to negotiate in the upward direction, and I guess that would really screw the range in a 24. :) (Nice going down, though!)

Lidl Chippenham is 4 miles from Jct 17 in an emergency. Also at 23p/kWh it's one of the cheapest around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
But the business park location doesn't have ANY facility nearby last time we stopped there.
If you go under the railway line, there is a Costa Coffee & resturant/grill place at the Premier Inn - It's fairly new - probably only opened in the last year or so. About a 10 minute walk...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lidl Chippenham
That's fairly far off route and it's only got a single charger..... there isn't a lot of option in this area it seems.

I've also never had problems at Leigh Delamere, but as the saying goes, never say never.......

I absolutely hate the anxiety I feel when approaching a single charger stall: is it occupied? is it working? is it ICE'd? Leigh Delamere is also the worst location when going westbound, zero plan B option for 20 miles until the next rapid, a single stall Polar in the middle of residential area.

Westbound, I'll use Lidl as plan A and service as plan B. Reverse for east bound. This seems to be the only option.

If you go under the railway line, there is a Costa Coffee & resturant/grill place at the Premier Inn - It's fairly new - probably only opened in the last year or so. About a 10 minute walk...
Thank you, didn't know about the hotel.

But for 30min charge, 22min walk to access facilities seems a bit excessive........ It's good to at least have options.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, that's not exactly time saving or convenient. Same as the other stop, I'm probably going to use it as plan B in combination with Reading service.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It may not exactly answer the question but I'm a big fan of the Membury/Chieveley combination (or Chieveley/Membury depending on your direction). They are only 10 miles apart so I call in at the first one and if there's a problem go straight on to the second one. I've only found an issue at both places once in many trips.

Reactions: wyx087

·
Registered
152 Posts
Winnersh Instavolt is good as you say - no facilities (last time I stopped the building it's in the carpark of was being refurbished) but never had to wait.

Swindon gives a few options close together - an Engine at a pub, Polar at a hotel and Geniepoint at Morrisons all fairly close to the motorway juction. Fallback of Instavolt further in just in case.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
For Reading, this is easy, there is a Instavolt location with 2 chargers in Winnersh business park. All other alternatives near the motorway are single stall or don't take contactless (eg CYC). But the business park location doesn't have ANY facility nearby last time we stopped there. Any good alternatives?
Actually it does.
There are two. There's the Premier Inn which has a Costa attached, maybe 6 or 7 brisk minutes walk away (footpath under railway bridge), and theres the Showcase Cinema, only a minute or two further away on foot, which also has a Costa. I did the fomer walk on Monday walked right past them to the PI Costa. Inside and outside tables, and toilets.
There's also a Holiday Inn even closer maybe 2 or 3 minutes right across the road, which i would expect would have a restauramt and maybe do coffee tea etc.

Ah, I see badguy me to it !

FWIW when i walked past the Instavolts on BH Monday there was no one there so hopefully a good chance of getting a space.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may not exactly answer the question but I'm a big fan of the Membury/Chieveley combination (or Chieveley/Membury depending on your direction). They are only 10 miles apart so I call in at the first one and if there's a problem go straight on to the second one. I've only found an issue at both places once in many trips.
Would be good if I only needed 1 charge mid-way, eg. Leaf 30 kWh. It may be possible in a 24 kWh but will be very very tight, Membury is on top of a hill.

Swindon gives a few options close together - an Engine at a pub, Polar at a hotel and Geniepoint at Morrisons all fairly close to the motorway juction. Fallback of Instavolt further in just in case.
Yeah, Swindon chargers are slightly too far into the town..... all of which are single chargers.
Closest Polar is marked as broken, 10min detour to a single charger.

There's also a Holiday Inn even closer maybe 2 or 3 minutes right across the road, which i would expect would have a restauramt and maybe do coffee tea etc.
Ah yes, good shout. I did remember seeing a green hotel logo when driving to that charger last time. Should have checked Google maps.

If you look left/right on the road at Instavolt charger, there is absolutely zero visible facility/hotel within sight. Upon inspecting the map, I note it must be due to the bend in the road that obscured the view.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,569 Posts
I absolutely hate the anxiety I feel when approaching a single charger stall: is it occupied? is it working? is it ICE'd?
Agreed.

Single unit installs shouldn’t be happening anymore and ideally, where feasible, existing installs should be expanded to doubles.

Have seen justification for single installs along the lines of “but they are hardly used at it is”, but I do wonder how much of that low usage is because people like me and you actively avoid them and are instead merrily handing our custom (and cash) to sites with 2 or more units - usually Instavolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts