Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not very often i walk around the front whilst it's locked but noticed this yesterday:

I recall someone saying their mirros had become stuck whilst folded and this corrosion could be the culprit? anyone else have the same issue?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Obviously not something that occurs on a LEAF - our just make grinding noise so that you know that they are working. :rolleyes: :whistle:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have that grinding noise on our Polo GTI+ but not the ID3. The difference being the 2 surfaces on the Polo pivoting over each other are plastic.- get a bit of muck in there and you get the grinding noise. These metal pads presumably are there for longevity and to prevent such noises.

Is it aluminium or some other metal e.g. galvanised steel? Either way, the edges look a little eroded, with a bit of powdered metal dust, through attrition. Looks more like zinc oxide to me as aluminium oxide is clear and colourless - hence your aluminium pans don look white/powdery and varnishes with an aluminium oxide base are completely transparent.

You could try putting a drop of oil on the metallic surface after giving it a wipe.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
419 Posts
If it is an issue, the Golf will suffer it too.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have that grinding noise on our Polo GTI+ but not the ID3. The difference being the 2 surfaces on the Polo pivoting over each other are plastic.- get a bit of muck in there and you get the grinding noise. These metal pads presumably are there for longevity and to prevent such noises.

Is it aluminium or some other metal e.g. galvanised steel? Either way, the edges look a little eroded, with a bit of powdered metal dust, through attrition. Looks more like zinc oxide to me as aluminium oxide is clear and colourless - hence your aluminium pans don look white/powdery and varnishes with an aluminium oxide base are completely transparent.

You could try putting a drop of oil on the metallic surface after giving it a wipe.
Not a great picture but that's definitely aluminium corrosion.

The mirror and attachment bracket substructure is a cast aluminium and has been for a while on VW's, certainly as far back as Mk5 Golf's.

Either way, I really wouldn't be too concerned. There are likely other mounts in the car that look similar.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not a great picture but that's definitely aluminium corrosion.

The mirror and attachment bracket substructure is a cast aluminium and has been for a while on VW's, certainly as far back as Mk5 Golf's.

Either way, I really wouldn't be too concerned. There are likely other mounts in the car that look similar.
Mine have an embossed looking surface, so I'm sure that'll wear down to a smooth finish if there's some metal on metal pivoting going on. So it's likely just finely ground aluminium pondering the surfaces.

·
Registered
2017 Leaf 30, 09 Honda Jazz LR
15 Posts
Obviously not something that occurs on a LEAF - our just make grinding noise so that you know that they are working. :rolleyes: :whistle:
:) There was a recall for that grinding noise if I remember correctly. We got our Leaf 30 second hand and had it fixed before taking delivery. Might be worth trying.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Report this idiot.
I've just reported him, not sure if anything will be done about it though, I've never reported anyone before. It was one thing when he kept it to the threads he'd started, but now that it is ruining every thread on here. Would be a shame to see one user ruin what was previously a nice, friendly forum!

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
383 Posts
I've just reported him, not sure if anything will be done about it though, I've never reported anyone before. It was one thing when he kept it to the threads he'd started, but now that it is ruining every thread on here. Would be a shame to see one user ruin what was previously a nice, friendly forum!
Totally agree, this (was) is a great forum, plenty of helpful advice, enjoyable good natured banter, it was fun to begin with winding up SL, now as you say its got beyond a joke and it's festering every thread SL gets involved with.

·
Registered
889 Posts
He's spreading like a computer virus, hopefully he won't be able to corrupt v2.1 operating software!

:LOL:

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,892 Posts
It's not very often i walk around the front whilst it's locked but noticed this yesterday:

View attachment 145094

I recall someone saying their mirros had become stuck whilst folded and this corrosion could be the culprit? anyone else have the same issue?
A regular squirt of PTFE dry film spray will prevent problems.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
No need to report, just ignore him and you'll be in ignorant bliss of his rantings. I haven't, yet.
It isn't a complete solution, you still see his ramblings in quotes as people reply, and you still have to put up with the aftermath of previously informative threads dying a death as everyone moves to rebutting the latest scaremongering that contrasting black roofs cause deaths or whatever is coming next...

·
Registered
889 Posts
It isn't a complete solution, you still see his ramblings in quotes as people reply, and you still have to put up with the aftermath of previously informative threads dying a death as everyone moves to rebutting the latest scaremongering that contrasting black roofs cause deaths or whatever is coming next...
Certainly not a complete solution, but if we stop feeding the troll with responses, he'll tire. I'm as guilty as anyone of feeding the troll, but like most of us here, I've an overriding urge to correct his ramblings.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts