Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so go easy! My gasser was totaled when somebody hit it when it was parked on the street. I now find myself in the usual position of being in a rush to buy a car. I have been toying with the idea of getting a BEV over the last few years, but now it seems like the time might actually be right. The trick is, I want to spend as little money as possible because I want to pay cash for the car. My budget is $15k out the door including all taxes and fees. However, I'm trying to find out if I'm a good candidate to get an EV or if it's just not going to work.

I have another gas-powered car that can go longer ranges, which my wife drives. My daily commute is approximately 22 miles each way (44 round trip), which includes dropping off/picking up my 2 year old at daycare. It is almost entirely highway driving at 65 mph. I can't imagine any circumstance where I would need to drive more than maybe 60 or 70 miles a day in this particular car, but I suppose it is possible if I suddenly realized I forgot something at home, etc. I have regular work hours so the car could be charged from about 6PM to 7AM most days.

We are thinking of moving into a different house soon, so I don't want to invest in the cost of a new Level 2 EVSE. Therefore, I would purchase a Level 1 portable EVSE that I can just plug into my wall of an exterior 15A outlet at home. There are other things on this 15A circuit. I think it's mostly low power things like light bulbs, maybe a TV... will this trip the breaker every time I want to charge the car?

It appears that a 2016 Kia Soul EV+ could fit the bill. I am looking on Vroom and Carvana and see a few examples that could be delivered to me for approximately $14k all in. And the great thing is these would have about 2 years of basic factory warranty remaining. What do you guys think? Do you see any red flags that could be a problem?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bear in mind that this is a UK mainly site, so some advice may not apply. A 2017 Soul (in the UK) I believe has a bit better range but even the 2016 should do that usage. It's late here so others should be along tomorrow with more constructive comments.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know nothing about the Soul, or US electrical detail, but I'd say your use pattern makes you a great candidate for a suitable EV. I'm 7 months into using a Leaf for a 45 ~ 60 km round trip (depending on what errands I run), plugging in overnight at home, and I'm loving no visits to the petrol station ($$$ and convenience), not burning fossil fuels (NZ == hydro) and the electric driving experience (lots of torque low down and no gears is perfect for commuting).

·
Registered
147 Posts
You'll do fine with an EV, and you'll never look back. Charge up overnight with the low power lead. More choice likely with a used leaf - go for the 30kWhr; try to get a 6.6kW rectifier.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You are a great candidate for an EV. :)

Tailpipe free of emissions will be nice at the day care, or anywhere.....

The 15A circuit will likely be fine, but to be sure double check with owners of the same car in the US, or an electrician, or the person you buy it from, or others that know more.

This looks useful:

Good luck!

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
349 Posts
I think someone has done some videos on the best second hand EVs in specific price ranges. Might be worth a watch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First post so go easy! My gasser was totaled when somebody hit it when it was parked on the street.
Ooh, I wish that would happen to me. Looking to swap my car any time now and the gap insurance is up in October. A write off free of injury risk right now would be like a little lottery win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts