Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at getting a second-hand car - mainly for commuting (50 miles daily) purposes.

Having always been interested in EV, we were looking at perhaps getting a second generation Nissan LEAF (40kwh). Had a test drive and everything - a little pricey, but a really really nice car.

One hiccup - We live in a residential block, and the residents have only just started organising so that each parking bay will have the option of installing a charging point. At best, we are looking at 6-9 months for all this to be accomplished in the current situation. So we will have to rely on the public charging network + workplace in the meantime.

Is this even a doable proposition? Or are we being too optimistic?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Great to hear you may have option to charge in your own parking at your flat soon. It doesn't sound like there is charging at work?

Personally I feel that 50 miles a day is a tough one if you can't charge at home or work - a Leaf 40 would need charging at least twice a week, so it wouldn't be for me.

I guess a lot depends on your willingness to put up with hassle plus the cost and availability of charging near you. Perhaps a 7kW (or even 3kW) post you could walk back from and leave overnight (if a safe location) would be minimal hassle. Or a 7kW near work where you could fully charge during day. Another option is if there is a rapid near where you go for shopping or similar activities, but you need to allow 45 mins. Have a look on ZapMap to see what is available but also check costs and comments as they aren't always reliable and can be blocked or in use. Maybe drive to a few to see.

Bear in mind some people claim rapid charging regularly isn't good for the battery. I am not convinced it makes a difference based on results from Leafs used as taxis.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Are there any supermarkets that you frequent that have 22 kW destination charging?

If so a new Zoe might work as you could top up when you go shopping. It would almost do five days worth of commuting in a charge, If driven carefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to hear you may have option to charge in your own parking at your flat soon. It doesn't sound like there is charging at work?
Thanks for your response! Looking at the forum (and a few YouTube videos) definitely gave a lot of insight into the EV for us. :)

Sorry, I should have been clearer. There are some charging points at work, and there are some 7kw charging post on the main road just in front of our block. I personally thinks it's a little bit of hassle, but maybe doable. Was hoping to receive opinions from the people with experience.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
165 Posts
If there are 7kW chargers at work, then as long as you can rely on them to be available and working every time you need, that is a great solution. Are they free of charge (or cheap) and convenient?

That should give you all the charge you need, with the public charging near home a useful plan B and occasional rapid charging at the supermarket a plan C.

Go for it! (But expect the 6-9 month timescale for home charging to slip)

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
There are some charging points at work, and there are some 7kw charging post on the main road just in front of our block.
That reduces hassle considerably especially if you can use work ones with road ones as backup.
Was hoping to receive opinions from the people with experience.
Fair enough, but some people will put up with a lot of hassle to save a few quid and few people admit when they were wrong, so take any "it was all fantastic" replies with a dose of cynicism.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Are there any supermarkets that you frequent that have 22 kW destination charging?
That isn't common in my experience. They don't want us Zoe owners getting a lot of free electric while we sip a coffee for an hour in their cafe. This is why Tesco only put in free 7Kw PODPoints - extra cost to install 22kW ones would have been minimal. In the handful of Tesco with one rapid they do fit one 22kW but I assume not free - haven't found one yet to check.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You'll get by if you are fully committed, but it will be limiting and it wont be a great experience for you.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy an efficient petrol or hybrid until such time as I could buy one of the newer longer range EVs unless I was absolutely cock sure I would get access to the workplace charging every day and didnt need to drive a similar distance over the weekend.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Declaring an interest here: I have had a Leaf 40kWh for 2 years now (Leaf 2.ZERO): it's my first EV and the best car I have ever driven. I also have a 7kW PodPoint home charge point. I would never contemplate buying anything with an internal combustion engine ever again.

Seeing as you have 7kW charging available at your place of work (with on-street backup if necessary), and can look forward to a home charge point in the not too distant future, I would say go for it. I'm sure you won't regret it.

One thing I am not sure about (others may jump in here), is whether with the delay on the home charge point installation you would still qualify for the OLEV grant.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Hi!

I have a Leaf 30 but with patchy ability to home charge and I love it, I’d never buy ICE again.

it’s fun working out where to charge and can always plug in for a few hours at family!

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Depends where you live, but Sainsbury's for one seems to install 22 kW. Tesco are just cheap...
Probably better electrons at Sainsbury too, the PODPoint at Tesco are no doubt "everyday value" ones. Nearest Sainsbury to me with any charging is Badger's Farm where they have 4x22kW but as there used to be Superchargers there I guess site has capacity. Too far for a weekly shop though ;)

Reactions: PhilW

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Probably better electrons at Sainsbury too, the PODPoint at Tesco are no doubt "everyday value" ones. Nearest Sainsbury to me with any charging is Badger's Farm where they have 4x22kW but as there used to be Superchargers there I guess site has capacity. Too far for a weekly shop though ;)
You need to write to the CEO and request they build a Sainsbury’s nearer to you then! :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I only wish I had at work charging.
I see no impediment to your plan.
In ways better than a home charger if they are free and readily available.

Local posts too.

And 6/9 months is no time.

Go for it.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
You need to write to the CEO and request they build a Sainsbury’s nearer to you then! :)
We have one, but like most of their stores it doesn't have charging. They probably haven't installed at Newbury because they know I would charge for 90 minutes, take 30kWh and wipe out any profit on my meager shop :LOL:

·
Registered
67 Posts
We are looking at getting a second-hand car - mainly for commuting (50 miles daily) purposes.

Having always been interested in EV, we were looking at perhaps getting a second generation Nissan LEAF (40kwh). Had a test drive and everything - a little pricey, but a really really nice car.

One hiccup - We live in a residential block, and the residents have only just started organising so that each parking bay will have the option of installing a charging point. At best, we are looking at 6-9 months for all this to be accomplished in the current situation. So we will have to rely on the public charging network + workplace in the meantime.

Is this even a doable proposition? Or are we being too optimistic?
I bought the leaf 40 2 years ago and like you had a 50mile round trip to work - I have never had off-road parking. My charging routine was best suited to doing 2 rapid charges. This usually did me 2 days and I would try to work Fridays from home. Most of my journey was motorway, but you have to drive 60mph or less to get the most for your miles.

I miss the old days of fighting at my local rapid charger. I guess there are far more options these days so should be easier for you.

David :)

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
I have never loved a car so much as I love my Leaf 30, it’s ridiculous really, it just keeps going and going.

No home parking or charging and it’s fine.

The savings are amazing and it’s a wonderful car, you will never look back!

·
Registered
218 Posts
they know I would charge for 90 minutes, take 30kWh and wipe out any profit on my meager shop :LOL:
I always thought large companies/buildings had a set rate for energy dependant on size etc, they’re not metered as such. Having a few cars using their electric won’t make the slightest bit of difference. Can someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts