Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It's a limited use case, not production level road vehicles.
Better than battery electric as the "charge time" is quicker, which is a big thing for Amazon as they want to squeeze every last breath out of their workers.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I don't understand this.....

My company has just moved away from LPG and Diesel FLT's to battery swappable Electric FLT's.

I would say it's no quicker to refuel than to swap a battery.

The Diesel and LPG FLT's were having constant issues due to the nature of the work (running 24/7) overheating and basically getting hammered. Don't think we will have the same issue with the efficient electric motor ;)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Is the fuel cell and tank shaped the same as the current batteries, so it lets them upgrade their current FLT's without having much downtime and with no need to replace the FLT's?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I like the bit at the end of the report where the US military is deploying HFC vehicles to bases and battlefields.

Apart from finding a hydrogen refueling facility in a remote location, can you imagine the mess if it went over an IED? :eek:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I like the bit at the end of the report where the US military is deploying HFC vehicles to bases and battlefields.

Apart from finding a hydrogen refueling facility in a remote location, can you imagine the mess if it went over an IED? :eek:
The military has to be able to transport whatever fuel they need themselves anyway, so current refuelling facility are not an issue.

When a hydrogen tank gets a leak, there is a much lower risk of a fire then with a petrol tank, so it does not make much difference with IED etc.

However I expect hydrogen is being used to power lots of electronics as fuel cells are a lot better at part load then engines. These vehicles often spend weeks at the same location running their engine so as to power the radios etc.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
However I do question way a battery swap system can’t be designed for fork lifts.
Fork lift batteries are so good though, possibly the best there is and very cost effective. Would just be awkward trying to have a swap system with such bulk and I don't think because this does not exist, that it causes too many problems for business. It surely would have been done by now if it was needed.

When it comes to PV storage, a fork lift battery is probably still the best non-mainstream way to do it (not that home battery storage is even mainstream as such yet). I have read of custom setups where people can run their house for weeks at a time on the forklift battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.