Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have installed this ambient lights in to my e-golf and they look great. They come with usb/cigarette connection but I would like to connect them somewhere where they become alive only when the lights are on. Any ideas what to connect them to?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,187 Posts
You’d need to find a suitable earth point and then tap into a lighting wire, there’s an illuminated switch in the centre console on the e-Golf if I remember correctly, the auto hold switch?

I presume the box is a small transformer/driver for the LEDs? I don’t know how many amps that will draw, but you need to be aware of that before splicing with the switch wiring. I’d be inclined to add a fuse as well to isolate the car as much as possible from a fault condition in that LED set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’d need to find a suitable earth point and then tap into a lighting wire, there’s an illuminated switch in the centre console on the e-Golf if I remember correctly, the auto hold switch?

I presume the box is a small transformer/driver for the LEDs? I don’t know how many amps that will draw, but you need to be aware of that before splicing with the switch wiring. I’d be inclined to add a fuse as well to isolate the car as much as possible from a fault condition in that LED set.
Great idea, now applied. Might be use for someone - it's a grey cable (second pin) you looking for and it's still has 12-14V. Thanks Tooks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could try tying it into the factory ambient lighting:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts