Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to put some dino juice in the Ampera, after not needing any for 7 months and a trip to London coming up, but at the pump the nozzle just clicks off repeatedly. Even with the lightest of light touches on the trigger, it dispenses 1-3p of fuel, and CLICK!

I tried all the usual tricks, not squeezing the trigger so hard, not pushing the nozzle in all the way, turning the nozzle to different angles, trying a different pump, nothing worked. After 30 minutes at the station, and repositioning to all 6 pumps, I'd managed a grand total of £6.50, gaining me 95 miles of range, and a chewing out from the boss for being late to work.

Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone have any ideas as to how to solve it? I don't know if I can stand the shame of standing at the pump for an hour trying to fill the tank.
So far the only solution I can think of is filling a fuel can, and then funnelling that in to the tank.

And, yes, I do see the irony of spending more time at the pump in this one trip compared to the 7 months of plugging in at the end of the day.
And the double irony of asking for petrol filling help on an EV forum.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,917 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that the anti-spill flap is not moving when you put the fuel nozzle in. Can you try moving it in the filler spout with a piece of wood or long screwdriver, make sure nothing can break off and end up in the tank. The anti- spill flap is designed to stop fuel spilling out in the event of the car rolling over in an accident.

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I can think of is that the anti-spill flap is not moving when you put the fuel nozzle in. Can you try moving it in the filler spout with a piece of wood or long screwdriver, make sure nothing can break off and end up in the tank. The anti- spill flap is designed to stop fuel spilling out in the event of the car rolling over in an accident.
I was considering fashioning some sort of poking device (aka "a stick") to hold that open as I attempt to fill, because it stoped me from pulling the nozzle out much when attepting "the tricks"

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,917 Posts
I was considering fashioning some sort of poking device (aka "a stick") to hold that open as I attempt to fill, because it stoped me from pulling the nozzle out much when attepting "the tricks"
If the nozzle has ridges on the underside and depending on the angle of insertion then they can catch on the 'anti-spill inversion' flap contraption, also known as the anti-siphon device.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you definitely getting the ready to refuel message on the dash?
I’ve had this but not To your extent. I thought it might be related to the depressurisation of the tank not working correctly when you push the button
Sorry no solution though

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,917 Posts
I’ve had this but not To your extent. I thought it might be related to the depressurisation of the tank not working correctly when you push the button
Sorry no solution though
I would have thought that this would throw up the EML but no report of this from the OP.

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I've always waited for the message before exiting the car, and this is the first time I've ever had trouble filling up in the 5 years I've owned it. Granted I've only been to the pump about 10 times.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,025 Posts
I would also suggest the anti spill flap has gummed up, presumably through lack of use. The tank is also pressurised and perhaps somehow it is not depressurising.

Try opening and closing the cap a few times by restarting the car, then releasing again and wait for the message to come up to open it. I presume you did wait for the allotted time and did not open the cap before the system told you it was ready?

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just tried again at lunch, different station, different company, same problem. Although I suppose I can fill the tank by visiting the pump everyday and getting my £5 worth of fuel between now and my journey to London.

I can confirm that I always wait for "ready to refuel" message on screen after pressing filler cap release button.
I don't believe it is a pressurisation issue, as I detect no signs of the cap being under pressure when twisting it open, no hiss, no tightness etc.
I will investigate the anti spill flap this evening, and report back after attepting a fill tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I haven't had this problem but you may have an issue with fuel tank capacity. Are you quite sure that the tank is not already almost full? Fuel gauges can fail and and some default to the empty position. The display for the Ampera/Volt fuel gauge reads out miles or kilometres of remaining range but this is also pretty meaningless - for example when I parked my car on our sloping drive this afternoon, without the car still switched on in 'Normal' mode, the ICE range gradually increased from 196 miles to 234 miles!!!!

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you quite sure that the tank is not already almost full?
Yeah. I'm possitive that it wasn't full. It was showing "Low" after my last trip to Warrington 7 months ago. And I put in a couple of quid back then to bring it up to 60 miles range showing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am reminded about a story that my father told me from when he worked as a mechanic in a garage before the Second World War: A car came in because the owner said that the range on a tank full of petrol was very poor. The owner had been using some "patent fuel pellets" that had been advertised as a "unique chemical that extends the range of your car - the more you put in, the better will be your petrol consumption" etc.
Dad found that the tank was half full of blue glass marbles! The owner had been duped by a fraudster. I am not suggesting that anything like that could happen in the 21st Century but the story came to mind and made me giggle . . .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have similar issue with the wife's Honda CR-V at some petrol stations. Have to move the nozzle around a few times till it seems to fix the issue. Yet at other stations it just works first time.

Like you haven't put any fuel in the Ampera for several months now. Every few weeks it keeps running the engine for a few seconds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
oor Fuel Fill Quality
From the service manual - might help:
Condition​
Causes​
DEFINITION: During the fuelling process a continual, occasional or no fuel nozzle shut-off condition has occurred.​
Difficult to fill​
Fuel fill limiter vent valve stuck closed
Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister restricted
High fuel temperature
Fuel filler hose is kinked
Faulty dispensing nozzle
Over fill​
Fill limiter vent valve stuck open or leaking
Fuel inlet check valve stuck open
Pre-mature shut-off of the fuel dispensing nozzle occurs immediately after engaging dispensing nozzle, tank empty​
Restricted vapour lines or fuel fill pipe
High fuel temperature
Inlet check valve at tank stuck closed, fill pipe full of fuel
Fuel tank full, gauge not accurate
Pre-mature shut-off of the fuel dispensing nozzle, more than 1/8 of tank capacity dispensed
Kinked, pinched or plugged lines in fuel tank vent system
EVAP canister restricted
Fuel limiting vent valve stuck closed or obstruction at top of fuel tank
Fuel Spitback​
Restricted EVAP canister
High fuel temperature

1 - 20 of 26 Posts