Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fitted a Mi witness camera to front and rear of car. It has a parking mode which means when car parked it will video any one who approaches or hits car. It also has a sensor fitted which turns camera off if voltage drops below a certain level to save battery. I am finding that it only runs in parking mode for a couple of minutes before this sensor cuts camera off. Tested battery level when this happens reading 12.5 volts
charge battery to 14.5 volts camera worked whilst it was charging overnight, drove to work 4 miles on electric power. Parked car, battery only lasted a couple of hours before sensor cut camera. Question how does the 12 volt battery charge is it only from petrol engine when electric depleted ? or does it receive a charge also from power train when running on electric power ? car is 14 months old only done 10000miles.Before I buy another battery any thoughts ?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Hi @Fredk,
The 12v battery will certainly be charged from the main cell pack via a DC to DC converter which is also powering all the 12v system.
The engine doesn't have an alternator like a conventional ICE, it doesn't even have a starter motor.

As 12.5v is not a low resting voltage, I would suggest that your camera has too high a cut off voltage.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
It may be that the socket you have it plugged into will have the power cut to it after a few minutes with the car 'powered down'. Similar to how you can listen to the radio after powering down but then after a set period it will power off totally to preserve the battery. you might need to try and find a permanent power feed that is not controlled like this.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm not sure the Ampera HAS an 'always on' socket inside the car. My sockets both turn off as described after a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I have taken the feed direct from the battery so it is live .I am waiting to hear from Mi Witness as to what the cut out voltage is could be the voltage is set to high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts