81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Mostly guys here..........handbooks like maps are for girls! :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been having a few issues with my Ampera now, initialising on a cold start and then the power steering not working etc. Looking to change the battery, what's the currently recommended replacement?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
You pays your money & you takes your choice. My Bosch S005 is still fine after 3 years & 40k miles; others are looking at he AGM version SA05 which is considerably more expensive. There may be other AGM batteries cheapar than Bosch (?Lucas?) which may be better value for money for all I know.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was rather surprised that my original battery has kept going so long, especially as it had a hiccup in 2015 and caused an Alert via my OVMS to warn me the voltage was 11.3v
I did all the pre-purchase fact finding and was going to get the Bosch, but as it didn’t repeat the low voltage moment, I held off doing it. Fast forward to now and it’s 7 years old and I have settled for the plan that I need it to show some signs of deterioration before I change it. I bought a plug in voltmeter (cigarette lighter socket connected) but of course that switches off when the car is shut down. You catch a brief glimpse of the static voltage when powering on before it merely reads the voltage from the dc to dc converter.

In the last OVMS update they added the 12 v battery monitor so now I can check the voltage anytime even after it has been unplugged and not started up for a day or two.
The good news is it slips down to 11.9v or 11.8v when not charging just like it always did, but I don’t have to send it an SMS message to interrogate it any more.

So now I am thinking do I change it for good measure before I give the car to my daughter, or do I wait and rush down to Bristol to help her when it finally gives up the ghost?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
For about £80, surely that's a no brainer for your daughter's safety and the car's reliability on the roads?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Don't risk not changing it. Especially if your daughter's gong to be using it - the last thing she needs is to be stranded somewhere. My Amp got bricked & flatbed recovery when my failing 12V & a charge session took out the contactors.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Yup, you've done remarkably well! Buy a lottery ticket then change the battery :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed a Lucas Fusion 027 battery for mine to keep it AGM. 4 years warranty.
A fair bit cheaper than the AGM version of the Bosch S5 mentioned above which is flooded although sealed I understand.

LF027 Lucas Fusion AGM Car Battery 12V 60Ah - Car Batteries
Getting this ordered and changed ASAP. I’m not going to be surprised if I find MY12 is on the original.

Before I hit order is there anything in particular I should know before between

Lucas (cheapest) vs Varta (middle price) vs Bosch (most expensive)?

Do you get what you pay for with batteries?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You get what you pay for with most things, when the human "cost for time" element or mark-up is taken out... I'd go with Bosch (indeed I did buy a Bosch one); Varta should be decent but Lucas is now a second brand for a cheap manufacturer. Your choice :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've just check my new (to me) 2012 Volt and it still has the original AC Delco battery. Not bad for 100k miles, but definitely due a change. So I've just ordered two Yuasa AGM's from Tanya, as it's coming up to 3 years since I last changed the 12v on our original Volt. So at least I save delivery changes on the second.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You get what you pay for with most things, when the human "cost for time" element or mark-up is taken out... I'd go with Bosch (indeed I did buy a Bosch one); Varta should be decent but Lucas is now a second brand for a cheap manufacturer. Your choice :)
Gone for Varta - I seem to remember varta and Bosch being essentially the same ie made by the same parent company in the same factory.

About £30 more expensive for something that’s on spec better and will be in the car for a good few years is worth it imo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe Bosch and Varta are usually identical, and Varta a little cheaper.
Lucas though once a big player (my uncle was a battery design engineer there) is now just a brand, currently licensed to Numax I think.
I've bought several Varta batteries, but on this occasion I thought Yuasa was a fair bit cheaper and a major oem maker, so I went with them.
It's been fine so far

81 - 100 of 124 Posts
About this Discussion
123 Replies
38 Participants
Russ
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing