Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,358 Posts
Leisure batteries have plate designs more suited to deeper discharge at the cost of a reduced cold cranking current.

The term is meant to apply to batteries that are not necessarily deep discharge batteries but can still deliver a reasonable high current without causing the plates to collapse.

For that difference, leisure batteries can withstand lower discharges. A standard cranking battery can only really dispense around 50% of its total stored energy before experiencing irreversible degradations. A leisure battery that figure is more like 75~80%, and for deep discharge VRLAs that is around 90~95%.

So a 50Ah DD VRLA is actually able to deliver more 'useful' energy, without damage accumulation, than a 75Ah cranking battery. It is therefore lighter, charges more efficiently, and can still deliver useful electrical power at 'low' voltage. What is not to want for an EV battery?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There is no international standard that defines how a "leisure" battery is constructed, how many cycles to any particular DOD it must survive, nothing. Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It's pointless buying a battery because it's "meant" to be of a particular construction, based on a bunch of marketing terms

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I installed a Lucas Fusion from Tanya a year ago and chose it solely because it is an AGM type and so not flooded.
Why OEM EV's seem to get poor life from batteries is beyond me as they have a stressless life. Its not just Volt/Ampera's.
My other EV 12v aux car batteries sit permanently on float chargers when not in use, are only 20Ah yet seem to last years in this way.

I use three 12v Pb batteries on my converted Stiga ride on mower which has a Lynch motor. They are not treated well!
Over the years I have used deep discharge and flooded/non flooded of various types and sizes. The best have been standard flooded cheapies off the internet. These are unfortunately sealed and now failing. I think they are low on acid but cannot top them up as the damn lid is welded on.

So I agree with posts above that the term "Leisure" or "Deep Discharge" is a sales pitch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The general consensus on this topic seems to be: get a Varta D52 AGM, if you want quality at a reasonable price or for an even lower price go for the Lucas Fusion LF027 AGM both are 12V 60Ah and a perfect fit. I previously posted my experiences with so called deep cycle leisure batteries and I am confident that either of the above will prove satisfactory for service in the Ampera or Volt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading some of these posts, I have just replaced the 12v battery in my 2014 Ampera for which I have owned for the past two years. My commute is Gloucester to Swindon 35 miles each way. earlier this week, I had an amber fault light come on with a message stating unable to use internal combustion engine, the "Hold" mode was also unavailable and greyed out. I stopped in a layby switched off and then restarted the car. The amber engine warning light was still on but I was able to select "Hold" so drove the remaining distance 15 miles using the combustion engine. Charged the car at work and for the return journey the amber engine light remained on, but again I was able to select ". The very same thing happened the next time that I drove into to work (curiously I was also unable to select any DAB radio stations - coincidence ?) so on the way home pulled into Halfords Gloucester and had a Halfords branded AGM 027 Start Stop Battery fitted. it comes with a 5 year Guarantee. Latest - the engine warning light has now extinguished. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

I replaced the original AC Delco battery in my 2012, 95000 mile Ampera today with the Lucas battery mail ordered from TAYNA. Thanks to your instructions, this was a simple job. The only minor complication was figuring out the clips holding the black box on the positive terminal.

I tried my local Vauxhall dealers for a replacement battery. I expressed so much surprise at the £225 price tag, the stores person offered it to me at £185 trade. But I went for the Lucas battery from Tayna, which cost £97.97 inc P&P.

I've owned the car since 64,000 miles. Most of my driving is a 30 miles commute, with a recharge at either end of the journey. Recently, when we have done long journeys which exhausted the drive battery, we would be braced for some craziness or other when we try to start up again. I started using "Mountain Mode" to retain some charge. Hopefully that's all behind us now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info guys,

Replaced my GM agm battery today using your guide, all good I went for the Bosch agm battery from tanya batteries, perfect fit and working fine..

Cheers

121 - 128 of 128 Posts