Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 124 of 124 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,003 Posts
Leisure batteries have plate designs more suited to deeper discharge at the cost of a reduced cold cranking current.

The term is meant to apply to batteries that are not necessarily deep discharge batteries but can still deliver a reasonable high current without causing the plates to collapse.

For that difference, leisure batteries can withstand lower discharges. A standard cranking battery can only really dispense around 50% of its total stored energy before experiencing irreversible degradations. A leisure battery that figure is more like 75~80%, and for deep discharge VRLAs that is around 90~95%.

So a 50Ah DD VRLA is actually able to deliver more 'useful' energy, without damage accumulation, than a 75Ah cranking battery. It is therefore lighter, charges more efficiently, and can still deliver useful electrical power at 'low' voltage. What is not to want for an EV battery?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
There is no international standard that defines how a "leisure" battery is constructed, how many cycles to any particular DOD it must survive, nothing. Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It's pointless buying a battery because it's "meant" to be of a particular construction, based on a bunch of marketing terms

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I installed a Lucas Fusion from Tanya a year ago and chose it solely because it is an AGM type and so not flooded.
Why OEM EV's seem to get poor life from batteries is beyond me as they have a stressless life. Its not just Volt/Ampera's.
My other EV 12v aux car batteries sit permanently on float chargers when not in use, are only 20Ah yet seem to last years in this way.

I use three 12v Pb batteries on my converted Stiga ride on mower which has a Lynch motor. They are not treated well!
Over the years I have used deep discharge and flooded/non flooded of various types and sizes. The best have been standard flooded cheapies off the internet. These are unfortunately sealed and now failing. I think they are low on acid but cannot top them up as the damn lid is welded on.

So I agree with posts above that the term "Leisure" or "Deep Discharge" is a sales pitch.

121 - 124 of 124 Posts
About this Discussion
123 Replies
38 Participants
Russ
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing