Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Ampera with delivery miles only on the clock.

Went from Shrewsbury to Cardiff on a 250mile round trip. Took route down through Knighton, Llandrindod Wells, Brecon ie A and B roads and back along M4 and A49.

Got 31 miles on an overnight charge which was less than I had expected. That may be a blip and I will see how I get on tomorrow with my new 16amp charging point.

Overall average fuel consumption was 51mpg which isn't that surprising given the journey distance and no mid journey charge up.

It's too early to make a judgement about the efficiency of the car because the use of the car will be predominantly shorter journeys than this but it does show that if the car is to be used for long journeys with no mid journey charge then there may be better possibly non electric cars available.

Tomorrow I am taking the car to Loughborough on a 180 mile round trip and plan to have a 4 hour 13amp charge half way. We will see how I get on.

·
Premium Member
11,319 Posts
Congratulations on getting your car!

The great thing about the Ampera is that you CAN make that 250 mile journey, but clearly it is not the best car for doing that every day - or possibly every week?

I have done a mix of 100+ mile journeys to my customer and 40 mile roundtrip to the office and my lifetime is currently 108 mpg

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Most of my 2000+ miles has been done on trips that have almost always been at least 50% on petrol but my lifetime is 91mpg.

Again, tomorrow, we do 80 miles so another 50% on petrol.

There are better petrol only cars if you directly compare petrol only performance but that is the point... the Ampera is not a petrol only car and so to compare mpg figures directly with petrol only cars is pointless and rather misleading as the Ampera will never be driven on petrol only and in any case, the electricity is not taken into account.

This is one of the anomolies that exists with the way mpg and CO2 figures are compiled for the official figures... they do not account for the electricity at all and hence the rather rediculous and very misleading 27g/km CO2. How must was the car driven on electricity to get that figure? What about the CO2 generated by the grid for the electricity? There is no point in using the same testing methods for an ER-EV as with a normal petrol car.

I am convinced that the testing methods will eventually catch up but for now it is just forums like this that can give potential owners representative figures.

·
Premium Member
11,319 Posts
Paul C - From what I've read, there is no liquid cooling/heating of the leaf batteries - is that correct? If so, that could make temperature a bigger factor compared to the Ampera/Volt.

Regarding official fuel consumption, this is where the USA is ahead of us as the EPA quote "equivalent mpg" for EVs based on the equivalent energy in a gallon of 'gas'.

Latest EPA figures for Volt (all based on US gallon)

EPA MPG Equivalent - City (Electric) 95
EPA MPG Equivalent - Hwy (Electric) 93
EPA Est. Fuel Economy City (Gas) 35 MPG
EPA Est. Fuel Economy Highway (Gas) 40 MPG

Latest EPA figures for Leaf (all based on US gallon)

EPA MPG Equivalent - City (Electric) 106
EPA MPG Equivalent - Hwy (Electric) 92

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You are partly correct. The leaf has no active battery cooling/heating when being driven but it does have a cooling system for when charging. there is no heating at all on 2011/12 models but future models will have some heating but only when before about -15 C! Won't effect us much hear!

Yes, I agree that the USA is ahead of us in using equivalent mpg.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Septerverius said:
Picked up my new Ampera with delivery miles only on the clock.
Got 31 miles on an overnight charge which was less than I had expected.
Don't worry about the cars first few guesses on your range, it'll get more accurate based on your driving style.
You will have a full 10.7 kWh available from every full charge, its how you use it that matters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts