Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Ampera 3-pin charge cord set and the Leaf

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Talon 
#1 ·
It has been mentioned as a possibility previously but I have never read any confirmation on the subject.

As I've gone for the 6.6kW upgrade for my Leaf I've lost the Nissan 3-pin charger. As I'm doing this through the 'my electric avenue' social trials there is no scope for haggling to have it included!

Now, I really need a 10A charge cable for charging at work and at my parent's house.

It has been mentioned that as the Ampera cable has the same plug as the Leaf (J1772) there should be no reason why it shouldn't work. Has anybody actually tested this?

If so I'm tempted to grab one for £278 as opposed to the £480 cost of the Nissan version.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Grant Thomas attempted to use the Ampera evse on his Leaf back early last year, the discussion is over on the General Motors part of Speak EV. I ended up buying his Evse because there was one function it didn't do with the Leaf I think but I can't remember what it was! He may jump in on this discussion, but I'll see if I can find the posts....

#6 ·
Grant present. The LEAF will not 'wake up' with there Ampera Voltec 3 pin charger. So functions like setting the pre-heat or timed charge will not work.

Glad the charger is still working Mike :)

#7 ·
Glad the charger is still working Mike :)
It has a permanent place in my boot Grant, for occasional use away from home, with my original hanging on the garage wall in case my Podpoint breaks down! I'll need to use my old EVSE at times once I get the solar panels installed to hold the charge rate down :)

#8 ·
I have both a Leaf and an Ampera and I can confirm that the Leaf EVSE works well on the Ampera and the Ampera works well on my Leaf both at 6A and at 10A.

Many times I have had one car on the home pod at at 16A and the other car on a dedicated 13A socket at 10A. I have no issues with any of the mix and match combinations I have tried. I always use the timer on the cars as I am on economy 7 and generally only charge in the E7 cheap period at night.

If others have had problems then their set up might be different to mine, such as having lower mains voltage, which might prevent charging especially on a timer. However, I can only report we have seen no such issues and we are very happy to use either EVSE on either car :)

#13 ·
Can you try charging the leaf using the 3 pin Ampera charger overnight, then either setting the climate control timer or turning on the climate control from PC or Phone.

Also of note the current 3 pin Ampera charger is different from the hack able charger which could be flashed to charge at 4 levels, not 2

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the valuable information guys :)

I will also be using my own wall pod at home where I will be carrying out all of my timed preheating and charging.

As mentioned, I plan to only use the 3-pin charger for more 'ad-hoc' charging (work and parents) so even if there is lack of timing functionality it wouldn't be a major loss for me at the moment.

I think I'm going to go for the Ampera lead if I can get hold of one!

Thanks again. :cool:

#10 ·
I think I'm going to go for the Ampera lead if I get hold of one!
Where are you? You would be very welcome to borrow mine for a week or two (or more if it helps) if I could get it to you?

I am in Cornwall but I am on a trip to Sunderland in a couple of weeks if that helps?

#11 ·
Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm without a car to test it with for another 7 weeks yet.

I'm located in East Lancashire/Greater Manchester so that would have been doable.

Don't worry, from what you guys have said I shouldn't have any problems with the cable. I'll be testing it at home before I venture forth into the wild anyway!

#12 ·
Understood, the offer is there if it might help. I could always stick it in the post... I am sure it wouldn't cost too much :)

#15 ·
Did you end up giving this a go in end Paul?

I'm probably going to start my attempt to get hold of an Ampera cable about two weeks before my Leaf shows up.

In the meantime I'm monitoring eBay for any Nissan units. I heard someone managed to grab one for £200. I'm sorry I didn't spot that one first!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.