Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Ampera faithful

Just a bit of collective experience and knowledge I'm looking for. Had the car in at Arnold Clark Vauxhall in Glasgow today, nearest Ampera dealer/servicing establishment to me, still a 70 mile round trip though. Was in for the good old HV coolant change, I arrived with full battery and 108 miles remaining on Dino juice monitor on dashboard readout. Car taken in at 0830hrs and returned all done (apparently?) By 11.30am. So my query to you guys that have had this done, firstly is that the right timescale for this type of job? Secondly on return to my car, I had instant heat when I turned on the heating and battery was still full, although fuel level had dropped to 96 miles. So can they carry out a coolant change using the engine, instead of the traction battery? As I thought the traction battery would be needed to power the DeX cool round the arterial piping system of the car in order to vacuum it out and renew the Dexcool and repressurise the system. Or am I just too suspicious in thinking they've just sat with the car in their garage and changed my antifreeze or something? Also when I checked my DeX cool reservoir tank at front of engine compartment, on side was higher than the other is that right? I drove back from garage with no noticeable issues, creaks or noises to give me any alarm but then again I didnt have any on way to garage also, hence my suspicious mind of they have done nothing to it? Lol

Thanks in advance for any help in putting my mind at rest (hopefully) lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
There is a you tube of the battery coolant change in a Bolt which is similar, I believe since they are using vaccum to fill it all they need to do is cycle the coolant control valves to ensure all of the air pockets are removed. One coolant tank half way and one full is how they are set up by the dealers and you got a free 12 mile roadtest

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
How much Dexcool did you pay for? My coolant change only used a few litres and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the engine coolant.
The warranty was re-enabled which is the only reason I paid for it.
Regarding levels, the header tank with a locking ring should be more full than the markings as bubbles can take months to come out. This is something GM require as a level reaching the sensor causes no end of annoyance and is a dealer reset.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Russ

I didnt have to pay for it, as the dealership I bought it from (non Ampera) paid for it as I said it hadn't been done as part of their servicing of the car before putting it up for sale due to them not having knowledge that it would need done, but fair play they paid for it. However, as I said previously I'm unsure if it's been carried out correctly as previous posts on here state that the service is carried out under battery power for the pumps and valves etc to be properly flushed and the vacuumed and repressurised. But when I jumped in the car after service I still had a full battery and my miles on the fuel gauge had went down from 108 to 96?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
@danny8665 just ensure that the warranty has been updated with the coolant change. You have to check with the dealer.
As @donald said here many years ago, the best way to replace the coolant without being invasive is to do it bit by bit by lowering the level in the header tank and replacing with fresh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts