Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a ampera.One that i am interested in is on a 15 plate but the vin indicates it was build in 2012.How would you view this situation.Also it does have one service missing but the battery services have been carried out.Is the battery warranty still valid.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There were a number of MY2012 Ampera registered in 2015 (15 plate) where they came from I don't know but obviously stored for a few years. I imagine they had new batteries (12v) fitted and were checked over before sale.
Someone mentioned they had to be registered to prevent the ICE going out of date euro4 to 5 or 5 to 6, can not recall.

The missing service is a problem as Vauxhall seem to try to wriggle out of any warranty claim. If this if from a vauxhall dealer as them to confirm the Voltec warranty in writing.
Just what is the battery service? The only thing apart from checking its still attached is the coolant change on the 5th service at 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever is first. Normal services are yearly or 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.So looking at the situation buying a 15 plate ampera which was built in 2012 with suspect warranty is no better than buying a 12 plate out of warranty and having some money left over for repairs?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Check the missing stamp is a missed service and not a failure to mark the book - I had to take mine back once to get the book stamped as it had been overlooked on a service. The Vauxhall Dealers have access to the service records.

This could have 3 years to go if the mileage is reasonable which would be great for peace of mind. I Imagine the garage would give you a 6month /1 year one with the car but its not the same.

The lifetime mileage will give a clue to the amount of running the ICE has done - the 15 plate may be a better bet if the out of warranty one has 100,000+ on it. A low Mileage out of warranty one with a full service history (12 plate or shortly 13 plate) might be a better bet. There are 14/64 plate ones about which have some warranty left that may be worth looking at.

Just noticed @Hogzylla is selling his Ampera at least with a forum one you can ask questions and get a straight reply.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking for a 14 plate with intact warranty.But most that are for sale are in garages and seem to be missing some history or the sale people have not got a clue about the cars.There seems to be a few private sales of My12 that have good history and owners that have looked after them.Might have to widen my search.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the missing stamp is a missed service and not a failure to mark the book - I had to take mine back once to get the book stamped as it had been overlooked on a service. The Vauxhall Dealers have access to the service records.

This could have 3 years to go if the mileage is reasonable which would be great for peace of mind. I Imagine the garage would give you a 6month /1 year one with the car but its not the same.

The lifetime mileage will give a clue to the amount of running the ICE has done - the 15 plate may be a better bet if the out of warranty one has 100,000+ on it. A low Mileage out of warranty one with a full service history (12 plate or shortly 13 plate) might be a better bet. There are 14/64 plate ones about which have some warranty left that may be worth looking at.

Just noticed @Hogzylla is selling his Ampera at least with a forum one you can ask questions and get a straight reply.
That car in white is stunning fairplay.Would happily pay 10 grand.pity its in Ireland

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Its not that expensive to have cars transported, various Ampera owners have had to do that due to limited availability. These have rarely been convenient, there's someone here looking for a red one, if one turns up could be anywhere in the uk.

There is a blue one in the classifieds currently, out of warranty but serviced, so they do appear.

Reactions: shaunpig35

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just in case it is of interest to you, I may be selling my 2013 Volt, my wife drives it but has decided that she needs to tow a horsebox. It has 50k miles but warranty expires next March.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Will do, it is away at the moment. I will PM you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts