Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Apologies for all the random questions but,

I plan to keep my Vauxhall Ampera for approx 13 years like my A2 before it, have done 94k in that since new.

I realise that this is the million dollar question due to EV's not having been around for that long.

But do you think an Ampera battery could last that long without changing it, based on my mileage?

I read somewhere that if a manufacturer is prepared to guarantee something for 8 years then it is likely that batter could last double that.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
I have just posted on the other thread you have about a Volt driver posting on the Facebook Chevy Volt Owners group that his Volt has 188,000 miles on the clock as he drives 7,000 miles a month. At that rate he is probably not using the battery as much he would like but has made no comment about his range reducing. I'll need to ask him?

Derek

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi folks,

Apologies for all the random questions but,

I plan to keep my Vauxhall Ampera for approx 13 years like my A2 before it, have done 94k in that since new.

I realise that this is the million dollar question due to EV's not having been around for that long.

But do you think an Ampera battery could last that long without changing it, based on my mileage?

I read somewhere that if a manufacturer is prepared to guarantee something for 8 years then it is likely that batter could last double that.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I'm planning the same, so here's hoping that they have Molly-coddled the battery sufficiently ;)
Although in 10 years a replacement battery will be cheap as chips :D

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Realistically the battery will have lost some capacity over that ten years. Maybe 15% or so just for the length of time (calendar ageing) and then a relatively unknown amount from cycling. However, the Ampera does not go very high or very low in the charge cycle, so personally I'd be surprised I that was more than 5%, particularly in our moderate climate. So I'd say a max of 20% loss. It's unclear from GMs strategy whether you then have 20% less EV or just less in the buffer above and below your usable section, I don't think anyone has had enough degradation to find out.

Regardless of whether that lost is actually 5% or 50%, the operation of the car in petrol mode will be completely unaffected.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Same here, I put 110,000 miles on my M3 and expect the same from the Ampera but using rather less fuel.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Superb, I'm getting the answer I was hoping to get but just wanted to know what people thought with actual experience in these matters...:)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
My understanding was that degradation eats into the buffer. Otherwise what's the point?

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
My understanding was that degradation eats into the buffer. Otherwise what's the point?
Long term battery protection. If the degradation gets to the point where there is no buffer anymore and your 10.3kwh usable takes you from 100% to 0% SOC, you will get much quicker degradation from that point onwards.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Long term battery protection. If the degradation gets to the point where there is no buffer anymore and your 10.3kwh usable takes you from 100% to 0% SOC, you will get much quicker degradation from that point onwards.
As we have a 35% buffer, I think we are all hoping not to experience that much degradation..... But only time will tell.
After all not all batteries are equal.
A lion battery in s tesco value drill will (in my experience) not last as well as the equivalent Dewalt or Makita battery ....

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Shouldn't really be an issue for me as I don't do particularly high mileage and don't tend to keep cars for less than 3 years...but would be nice to reassure any subsequent buyer.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I hope it is just a wee glitch but the last few days I have only managed to get 10.2kwH to 10.3kwH out of the battery before the ICE kicks in. I can't remember it being like that last year at this time.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
I hope it is just a wee glitch but the last few days I have only managed to get 10.2kwH to 10.3kwH out of the battery before the ICE kicks in. I can't remember it being like that last year at this time.
10.2kw?????? I have never seen more than 9.7kw, 2012 Volt owned by Chevy and never charged for the first 10k. Now ay 28000 miles but still only using max 9.8kw, is my battery duff?:(

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Mine varies wildly, from 10.3 to 10.7.
I find it's better when I jump in straight after its finished charging.
I also *think* that the 6A charging option gives a better lasting charge than the 16A option.

Having said that, @Rick M Goldie has been experiencing a 95% charge before it stops, maybe that's the problem ? Only getting 98% or something ?

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Mine varies wildly, from 10.3 to 10.7.
I find it's better when I jump in straight after its finished charging.
I also *think* that the 6A charging option gives a better lasting charge than the 16A option.

Having said that, @Rick M Goldie has been experiencing a 95% charge before it stops, maybe that's the problem ? Only getting 98% or something ?
The green light says its finished, and I have no nasty lights or error codes:confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Might be the pre-heating, looks like more thermals or putting the pre-heating on earlier to allow the battery to recover.
We have not preheated since last winter so I dont think its that

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The green light says its finished, and I have no nasty lights or error codes:confused:
I think @Rick m goldie only knew because his OVMS was reporting it.
I definitely notice mine varies by 0.3-0.5kwh on some charges.
When it stops at 10.3 I get really upset, 10.7 and I do a little dance :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts