Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to use the large charger cable with the big black box on it that I got with my Ampera or can I use a simpler light weight cable to carry in the car when I'm out and about.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
It depends.

If you want to plug in to a normal 13A socket then you will need a cable with the box. That box contains the electronics that communicates with the car. That box tells the car how fast to charge. With the Ampera one you can set it to 6A or 10A... at least you can on the older ones. I heard that the ability to change charge speed on the new ones has been removed and it is fixed at 10A.

If you want to plug in to public charging posts that have a type 2 socket so you can charge at 16A then you will need a different cable. You will need a type 2 to type 1 cable. This cable does not have the box because with type 2 sockets the electronics to communicate with the car is in the socket itself. Those cables you can buy separately from various places but Zero carbon World do them for £199.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this. My frustration has been that the majority of my local charge posts are 3 pin plugs. I have bought a type two cable but the only post I could find with that type refused to recognise my car. I had kinda "plumbed in" the cable and box in my electric cupboard at home next to my front door and don't really want to keep having to unplug it and carry it around but I gues I'm going to have to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why don't you have a Free Home Charger installed (I used british Gas / Polar) That way the Cable supplied with the car can live in the car for use when needed.

It's less hassle then and the bonus is you can charge at home at 16 amps. It then takes between 3.5 and 4 hours rather than almost 6 hours at 10 amps

Big Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to get the British Gas pod installed but they need an O2 mobile signal so they can transmit data back th Big brother. Unfortunatly I only get a very weak O2 signal where I live. I am waiting for Polar to get back to me it apparently takes 4 weeks.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I have a marginal signal so it isn't totally a done deal for me either! They will decide when they come to do the install and if the signal is not adequate then they will not install.

If they won't then I will hold off until I move house (hopefully this year) and hope that my existing pod lasts until then. It often clicks continuously after charging has finished and I am afraid it will soon fail. Then it will be back to using the 10A EVSE cable. Not much fun when you are used to a fixed home pod.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Have you guys considered getting an O2 Femtocell? I believe its called boostbox http://static.o2.co.uk/www/docs/business/boostbox_qsg_guide_standard_v4_lr.pdf
it might be a cheaper solution than paying for your own charger..

@GMG31 can I enquire when you had problems with the Type2 charger? There is an issue that some leaf owners are having.. it may be that its a charger problem not a car problem (I'm assuming a lower volume of Amprera users use public chargers so it may appear to only be leaf problem when its actually the chargers)

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
GMG31 said:
Thanks for this. My frustration has been that the majority of my local charge posts are 3 pin plugs. I have bought a type two cable but the only post I could find with that type refused to recognise my car. I had kinda "plumbed in" the cable and box in my electric cupboard at home next to my front door and don't really want to keep having to unplug it and carry it around but I gues I'm going to have to.
Have you tried this charge station again? I was wondering whether this was a genuine charging failure of whether it was just your inexperience... what do you think?

The reason I ask is that many Leaf owners are seeing charging failures (cause yet unknown) and I wondered if this could be one too?

Just a thought...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,071 Posts
GMG31 said:
Thanks for this. My frustration has been that the majority of my local charge posts are 3 pin plugs. I have bought a type two cable but the only post I could find with that type refused to recognise my car.
I had a similar thing with a Chargemaster post and my type 2 cable. After calling Chargemaster I got the impression that it may be that the post is set to only commence charging when to cover lid is closed, something that can't be done with the type 2 cable.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Last Sunday I tried to charge my Ampeea at Asda Ystalyfera in Wales.
Each time I connected my type2 cable it asked me to close the flap. After 20 minutes of trying and phoning chargemaster I gave up.
On Monday I phoned chargemaster who checked and found that this post has 2 outlets a 13 amp and a 16 amp. The 16amp did not recognise my car as it had been programmed as a 13amp.
Could this be the answer to some of the problems others are having?
Geoff

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Re using a Femtocell - I think they only work with 3G phones. Do we know if the modems in the charging points are 2G or 3G? I have two an Orange one and a Vodafone but haven't added an O2 one to my collection yet :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,071 Posts
Hi Geoff

That is maybe what the chap meant, perhaps there is some programming thing they can do to alter the settings on the post and allow charging to commence on the 16 amp with the flap open. He did say that he would call me back with the outcome. I also mentioned the Asda in Forfar, I have not tried it yet, but thought it worthwhile to ask him to check. I will be in Forfar over the next couple of weeks so will have a go and try it.

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks, I'm very new here and until yesterday I was an EV virgin. Could anyone let me know if I can still get a charge point/post/thing installed free for my home? I'm not a British Gas customer; our gas/electric is provided by Npower. Another question (sorry) if I want to charge away from home what's the best option / scheme to join. I've seen a few advertised and although I live in South Midlands I travel all over. Any other tips / advice anything EV appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Yes you can get a home charge unit - look for @nuWorld Energy (can't miss the big banner at the top of the page).

Sign up for Ecotricity to charge on the motorway, but there are not many points left for an Ampera. Realistically it won't be worth your while signing up for every possible charge card, you will spend about £100 in "deposits" or "admin fees".

Maybe just get the Charge Your Car (@CYC ) and then see how you go

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
@StephenD you'll probably want to investigate Zero Carbon World they have no membership scheme and have lots of useful destination chargers, Hotels / Bed & Breakfasts etc.
I don't use en-route charging in my ampera the 10mph charge speed is just too slow. I am not a member of my local govt "plugged in" scheme as I can pretty much retrun trip from any charge destination. without needing them. I am not a member of any of the other "plugged in" schemes like source London as I don't travel their frequently enough.
I have an Ecotricity card (rarely used as mainly en-route charging) and a CYC Card (From a holiday to Northumberland) I also have an old Chargemaster card so I can still use their free chargers (very rare!).

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Hi folks, I'm very new here and until yesterday I was an EV virgin. Could anyone let me know if I can still get a charge point/post/thing installed free for my home? I'm not a British Gas customer; our gas/electric is provided by Npower. Another question (sorry) if I want to charge away from home what's the best option / scheme to join. I've seen a few advertised and although I live in South Midlands I travel all over. Any other tips / advice anything EV appreciated. Thank you.
Where are you based and where do you travel?
We are Bedford based for me so we have Ecotricity, Source East (roams toSource London and Plug in Midlands) and the CYC phone app.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So today I purchased my first EV, a 2012 Vauxhall Ampera, so I am new to the forum and the world of charging my car!

As a home charging pod is a no go for me (I don't own my own my property and landlord won't allow any amendments to the property) my granny charging cable does not reach from the house to where the car is parked which is the most appropriate extension cable to purchase?

Option 1) Heavy duty weatherproof extension cable to plug the 3 pin from the granny charger into and then plug into the Ampera as normal

Option 2) Get an extension lead which the granny charger plugs into and then that cable extends to the Ampera, so the 3 pin from the granny charger still goes into the house directly

Finally the granny charger I got with the car is a Voltec charger and does not have a 6A or 10A option, it appears to just charge at one speed and there is no option within the car to alter the Amps - is this right?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Option 1) Heavy duty weatherproof extension cable to plug the 3 pin from the granny charger into and then plug into the Ampera as normal
This is the better option, but obviously not ideal. Would your landlord consider a normal external 3-pin weatherproof socket? Would be used as a utility point then for pressure washers and vacuums too. You would be able to have a fresh install with guaranteed good wiring.

What year is your car? Post-2013 cars had the black charger and you could select 6A or 10A in the menu (press leaf button (once or twice), then select charge rate).

·
Registered
7 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts