Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Brian,
On the Type 2 cable rather than the mud flap for this question. I purchased a cable from Motorbodies thinking it would be the correct one for the Polar charging units. When I tried it in MK on a Polar unit it didn't work. The one I have is I think identical to the one supplied with the car. Have I got the wrong cable or was the Polar unit malfunctioning?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Re: Ampera Mud Flaps

The cable that came with the car is not a type 2 cable... it is a normal 13A cable with an EVSE block built in to the block with the lights on it. That cable will work with any normal 13A socket.

Most of the POLAR units I have seen have both 13A and a type 2 socket. You can use the 13A cable in the 13A socket and charge at 10A.

If you buy a type 2 cable then you can use the type 2 socket (also called Mennekes) and charge at 16A. That cable does not have its own EVSE unit and it relies on the EVSE module in the type 2 charging station.

This is off-topic so if we want to discuss it further I will split the thread. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Ampera Mud Flaps

Thanks Paul,
Perhaps a split thread would be better as this is specific.

·
Registered
99 Posts
my EVSE cable has failed again for the 3rd time.Always the same defect,car connected for overnight charging but in the morning no charge with flashing red fault light . This last one was ok for 6 months.Any one else had this

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Dave Mathers said:
my EVSE cable has failed again for the 3rd time.Always the same defect,car connected for overnight charging but in the morning no charge with flashing red fault light . This last one was ok for 6 months.Any one else had this
Not so far Dave. Still on my original evse after 6 months...getting nervous lol. Fortunately I have a spare one. My evse leads a simple life which I'm hoping is good for it; it's always permanently plugged in and powered up inside my garage, hanging on the wall..I use the spare one for the odd occasion I have charged away from home. So it doesn't get wet, or very cold, or knocked about, etc.. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine spent the first six months outside my house uncovered in all weathers and since then it sits on a post at my office covered by an upside down dustbin. Fingers crossed no problems yet.

Clive

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have done a bit more checking and the fault occurs if the switch on charge time is greater than seven hours from plug in time.If less it works fine.Very strange

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Dave Mathers said:
have you tried it on a different mains outlet? I tried to charge at a friends house but his garage electrics had an earth fault and the charger would only light up red, one we plugged it in to a house socket it was fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts